Going on Holiday All Inclusive.. help?

Options
Hi,
I'm going on an All inclusive holiday this year, which means cocktails and food on tap! Temptation is always there... what would you suggest to eat/drink which would be healthier/help me keep low calorie.
K.x

Replies

• bmiller211
    bmiller211 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    anything you want just when you get full stop. It is a holiday and you have to enjoy it or you won't have full and complete satisfaction and feel you have gotten the most out of you vacation. when you come back you will have gained a few but they will come off again quick. Have a ball ...where are you going!!
  • ooerr
    ooerr Posts: 6
    Options
    I'd say... forget being healthy, you're on holiday!

But, in all seriousness, with all inclusive holidays, it's the portion sizes you need to watch. Since you can pile your plate high with as much as the buffet as you want, it's easy to just go mental. Also, maybe limit alcohol consumption to just evenings (the all inclusive hotels I've been to have always had wine and lager on tap by the pool) so that you don't end up consuming loads of extra calories from alcohol.

On the plus side, they usually have a wide variety of fruit and other healthier options at breakfast. They also tend to have lots of salad options at lunch/dinner, so you could try to fill a large proportion of your plate with the healthier stuff like that so that the space for other stuff is limited. Then, when you've finished your plate, don't be tempted to go back for more - sit back for a few minutes and wait for your body to realise you're full. Also, the buffet has pasta and chips pretty much every day so steer clear of those! Good luck!
  • knot2thin
    knot2thin Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself. There are a lot of very healthy choices in all inclusives. also they have fitness classes which can be a blast. Eat lots of fruit and vegetables and then eat anything else that floats your boat. Alcohol can be a problem......... empty calories that fog your mind and make it hard to say no to most everything. lol But at the end of the day it is only a few days in your life so enjoy as you wish to and work it off when you get home.
  • kimmmayy
    kimmmayy Posts: 3
    Options
    Well i'm going spain for a week then a month later egypt for a week (cheeky i know!) last time i came back from a week all inclusive i put on a lb a day! OOPS!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    We just did this in March and surprisingly, I did not gain any significant weight -- just a little water weight that came off the first week.

My advice is to enjoy and not to stress too much, but to make sure you're choosing plenty of fruits, vegetables and protein in the restaurants during breakfast and lunch. Also, stay active and make sure you're walking, swimming, hiking, etc. every single day.

It's a vacation, which doesn't happen all the time, so enjoy and have fun!
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    We are going too this is our 10th year eat what you want and drink what you want there are a lot of activity's to help you burn the calories they even have a gym in most of them go for walks, and swim thats what I do last year we went for two weeks and I only gained 2 lbs dont worry about it just have fun!
  • fairie_marie
    Options
    I went to an All Inclusive in Mexico last year.. Mostly was all buffet so you have a choice on what you want. With all the walking around the resort and swimming I didn't gain anything. Just keep in mind that all inclussive doesnt have to mean " eat until you bust"... I don't really drink so that might have helped to altho I did drink reg soda there the whole time which I noramlly dont do. Have a great time!

If you are really worried about the buffets being a temptaion, try to have most of your dinner meals at ala carte resturants if they have them.. That way you have portion control ( plus it is more likey to taste better, that is what I experianced.)
  • bgardiner49
    bgardiner49 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I just got back from holiday in crete (10 days) and only put on half a lb even though we ate out most nights. I tried to make healthy choices on menus - ie avoided things that had been stewed in oil, or were dripping in sugar. I drank moderately. However, I didn't fret to much and fully expected to have gained a few lbs when i got home.

I think the reason i didnt was because i followed the best advice I had when I posted the same question as you - KEEP MOVING! Swim in the pool, walk around sights, walk in the countryside or explore cities, do that exercise class if the hotel offers it, go for a run if thats what you like. You will feel fantastic when you get back!
  • FrancklySara
    Options
    Start each meal with a huge helping of vegetables, then go back for small portions of the foods you want the most. It's easier to limit portions of high calorie foods when you're already starting to get full. I've lost 40 lbs by doing this - it gives me the satisfaction of a full belly and the enjoyable experience of eating delicious food, but the total calorie count stays low. Plus, all those vegetables are good for you! I would also limit alcohol and sweets to a few a day and never on an empty stomach - the blood sugar spike and drop will make you feel much more hungry than you actually are. Have great time!
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Mojitos...