Running advice needed

Options
A lot of people talk about weight loss plateaus when they start running regularly. I have a long way to go to be a regular running, I want to start the C25K in a few weeks to help me get started. I still have a lot of weight to lose though, around 80 pounds.

I work out five-six days a week so I get in cardio. I wanted to know if there was a certain point in our weight loss journey that is best to start jogging/running or if it doesn't really matter. I feel like it should help not hinder the progress I make though.

Also any advice about running since I am just beginning. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• tweetiejovi
    tweetiejovi Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    start by waliking more, then do run/walking mins then 2 mins dont be afraid to repeat weeks, find a running group/park run, start with a 5k to moviate you but dont go for a time to finish it, just you finish it when you finish it. Thats how i started last year anyway
  • Wrenbot87
    Wrenbot87 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    The only advice I have is just don't run every day with C25K. I see a lot of people talk about how they do the app and then keep going and do two workouts back to back in one night. Don't do that. You have to let your body repair itself, and give your body a chance to build that stamina. Plus, I haven't hit a plateau...but you can't do the same exercise for months and months. Your body will naturally get used to it and it won't be effective. You have to keep mixing it up. So run a few times a week, but it shouldn't be your only form of exercise nor should it be the only kind of cardio you do. That's all I've got...but that's just my opinion lol
  • brent_woods
    Options
    I am 44, obese, and have osteoarthritis, about to get my right hip replaced. From this experience, I would recommend to others not running until you are near your ideal weight.

I usually use elliptical machines and walk on incline treadmills using interval workouts, which I find are sufficient to get my heart rate well into the aerobic (70-80%), anaerobic (80-90%) and sometimes red line (>90%) zones. They are low impact and highly effective. Resistance weight training is also very important as it continues to burn calories for hours after the workout and increases BMR.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    start by waliking more, then do run/walking mins then 2 mins dont be afraid to repeat weeks, find a running group/park run, start with a 5k to moviate you but dont go for a time to finish it, just you finish it when you finish it. Thats how i started last year anyway

This - I started C25K when I still had about 35 pounds to lose. I stayed right with the program until week 4 when I pulled a muscle in my hip. My doctor told me that I had progressed too quickly through the program for my age (50) and my weight. I switched to doing the program on the elliptical (less impact) and just increased my strides per minute for the 'run' portions of the program (I usually "walk" at around 130 and "run" around 165-170). I finished last week and my hip is healed so I'm starting to run it again but I'm taking it slow. I'm doing my first 5K next weekend, but plan to walk most of it.

Good luck to you - you're awesome for wanting to step it up and do more to get yourself to your goals!
  • karris43
    karris43 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K one month after I got the hang of watching what I eat as my main aim is fitness. I printed out the progam but as I am 51 and have seldom run in my lfe, I promised my self that I would only do what I could reasonably manage, and would not move ont the next week until I was confident I could do the previous week with relative ease.

So 10 weeks in I am just starting week 4. It's definitely worked, the main benefit being more defined muscles in my legs. I have lost quite a lot of weight but am slowing down with the loss now as I become fitter - happy with that as I want healthy weight loss. Also, maybe I am building muscle and this could cause a temporary halt in my loss on the scales. I run 2 or three times a week and if I am too tired I walk it instead. In between I have been doing 30ds and some strength training, again, as much as I can manage. After all, it's 100% more than I was doing before :-) I think running is worth it, it makes a difference, but if you feel your knees or ankles getting sore have a rest then run less or just walk.

Good luck, take it at your own pace, enjoy it.
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and 5'6" tall and fractured my kneecap 15 years ago. The last time I ran was as a teenager. I started my weight loss at 110kg (242.5lbs) and I walked everyday for 5 miles. When I got down to 88kg I started c25k. I'm now on week 7, my weight is down to 79kg and my goal is 70kg.

I do c25k every second day giving me a day in between every run to recover. I still do the 5 mile walks and when I run I do it with a very serious knee brace.

If you had asked me if I could run when I was 88kg I think my answer would have been no. I didn't want to do that until I was 80kg but hey, I did it and I'm near the end of it and if I can do it as a 20 a day smoker, pretty much anyone can. It really is a case of mind over matter!
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    First thing's first and that's to get some good running shoes. As a newbie and overweight runner you'll want a shoe with cushion and support. Go to a running store and have them check your gait and suggest shoes. Don't skimp and buy cheap shoes from somewhere as you'll grow to hate running since everything will hurt. Shoes make a difference.

I would start off with a run/walk of maybe a mile to gauge where you're at. If you can run a mile then go 2. I wouldn't push it past that as you open up the possibility of shin splints more, as being overweight and taking on too much mileage too fast. Run what feels good at what pace feels good, walk when you need to. You'll maybe want to do this 2x a week when you start. As you feel comfortable with it you can increase but make sure you have enough rest for your body to recover. Runnersworld.com is a great site with plenty of info.

I was overweight and had to lose in order to enlist in the Army. I ran, ran, ran, and also got shin splints. They're not fun. Now I love running and get in about 20 miles a week.