Did anyone struggle losing weight on their 2nd week?

Options
My first week I did really well but I stepped onto the scales and I am still the same at the moment, I have two days until my weigh in but I am quite frustrated as I have been eating super healthy this week but I have upped my calories from 1200 to 1400. I did this because I want this ''diet'' to be for the rest of my life and I know I would struggle living on 1200 for the rest of my life!
Someone said the second week is always tough to lose weight and I will lose weight on the 3rd week but I am worried it is because I have upped my calories and need to go back down to 1200. My starting weight was 202 and I am now 196 and 5ft 2 so I don't think 1400 cals is too much but would like some advice please!
Since I started MFP I have gone from eating 3000 plus cals and no exercise to 1400 and as much exercise as I can handle due to my lack of fitness and weight! I will keep doing this diet but do I need to go back down to 1200?

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    You do not have to drop your calories.

The body doesn't know one Sunday from the next - it's not going to drop weight like clockwork. Weight loss is not linear. One week you'll lose the next you won't. It's about how it averages out monthly.

Weight loss often comes fast the first week or two as the body sheds water weight. It's natural for it to slow down.

Patience. Keep doing the work and results will follow.
  • muziclver
    muziclver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go back down to 1200 just because it's literally the MINIMUM calorie intake for a person. I have struggled the first month I was on here. I upped my calories a couple days ago (I'm taller than you so mine's at 1600 now.) This past weigh in I had 1.2 lb lost which is good compared to how slowly the weight was coming off before. I would say just stick to it. Try to be sure you aren't getting too much sodium (I'm really bad about that) as it makes you retain lots of water. I'd also suggest you try to do measurements of your body as well as that is more accurate to your progress.
  • SolanumSunrise
    SolanumSunrise Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I actually gained a few pounds for a couple of weeks after I started exercising, which I expect was water weight. When you tax your muscles in a way that is intense or unfamiliar, they hold on to more water to aid in the repair process. You might gain 3-4 pounds of water weight at first but don't let that fool you in to thinking you aren't making progress. It should go away in a few weeks. In the meantime, make sure you take your measurements because sometimes that will change even when your weight doesn't.
  • LifeJacketWaterJogger
    Options
    yeah everyone, struggles with weight loss if you are losing the right way, so you are doing great just stay at it. I lose very slow but I stay at it and I stay encouraged even when I eat bad.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Very normal. Just thought I'd share how the past couple of weeks have gone for me, to give you a better idea. I'm 5'4.5" and 23 years old.

fz1ddu.jpg

As you can see I weigh myself daily and chart it in excel, along with the amount of calories I'm consuming. I generally only chart 4 weeks at a time, so right now I'm on day 4 week 7 since I start charting my progress with excel. As you can see, I go up & down constantly. The overall pattern though is down. Just stick with it.
  • kirstA90
    kirstA90 Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm on week 4 - and generally haven't seen many pounds lost at all... I don't get on the scales nearly half as much as I used to at the start. However I have lost 3 inches from my waist and 3 inches from my bust... This is much more encouraging for me than the scale.. so get your tape measure out!

:)
  • ViviLane
    ViviLane Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am currently having the same issue. I was so bummed out last week when I didn't lose a thing, but stayed at the exact same weight I was the prior week. Looking forward to reading all of these responses!
  • abheshek
    abheshek Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    many struggle initially
  • islandlifenc
    islandlifenc Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I had a quick loss at first, too, but I see my numbers on the scale bounce up and down, up and down, up and down — like a heartrate monitor — every day AND every week. (Yes, I weigh every day, but I'm glad I do, because if I just depended on my weight on the same day each week, it'd look like I made NO discernable progress.) As it is, I've lost 7 lbs in 7 weeks.

I'm currently at 1700 calories a day, and have considered dropping down to about 1500 calories a day just to try to lose 1.5 lbs a week (since I have more than 50 lbs to lose), but I wouldn't go lower than that.

My point is, the numbers will bounce all over the scale. Water retention, exercise, all kinds of things can play a role in the number you see on the scale, but over the course of two or three months, you will see a loss if you're eating less than you're burning each day.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Two weeks is not long enough to get discouraged. Some people stall out for weeks, sometimes a month or more. :laugh:
  • Mebobbell
    Mebobbell Posts: 10
    Options
    I just passed my two week mark and on the day I weighed in there was no change from the week before. I was frustrated for a bit but knew I was feeling more energetic and happy with my food choices so didn't let the number define my progress. The very next day I weighed myself out of curiosity and a pound was gone. I'm convinced that f you feel good about your food choices and activity the scale will move!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we gain during our weight loss:). I do all the time! Keep going:)