water retention

Options
Having problem with severe water retention. Is there any natural way to help with this? I am on a low salt low carb and sugar diet so should not be my salt intake.

Replies

• xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Drink more water. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but it will help.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water?

What about your workouts (if any)? Your muscles could be holding onto water to repair themselves.
  • cjcmrn
    cjcmrn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    walking helps too
  • greattimes
    greattimes Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I drink only water and lots of it . I also walk 2 to 3 miles in the morning before I go to work where I wait tables so lack of exercise is not the problem.
  • islandlifenc
    islandlifenc Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Both lemon juice and vinegar are diuretics. If you add either of them to water (like a tablespoon to 16 oz) with maybe a little stevia to sweeten it, it will help you shed water, but that won't give you reliable weight loss results. Any loss from that will just be water weight. Another thing, best to sip water with vinegar with a straw because it's bad for your teeth.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    simple..its your diet and not enuff water..and ironicaly not enuff salt!
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    you see when we do terrible diets such as low carb low sugar and low salt ..Alarms go off and now the body is holding onto water fat etc. for dear life!!
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    you see when we do terrible diets such as low carb low sugar and low salt ..Alarms go off and now the body is holding onto water fat etc. for dear life!!
    I see this member is still posting completely ignorant and unhelpful comments with no basis in physiology. Good job.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I see this member is still posting completely ignorant and unhelpful comments with no basis in physiology. Good job.

damn...! If you are going to blast someone, you might want to explain why they are wrong. I am not saying the post is right or wrong, but come on man..you just call someone "ignorant" and then don't back up what you are saying?
  • Sparkles614
    Sparkles614 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you are on a low salt and low carb diet? Is it medically recommended by your doctor? Sometimes, and I certainly don't know if this is true in your case, water retention can be a sign something is really wrong in your body. Kidney disease comes to mind. I have had chronic renal failure for 20+ years so I am always battling water retention. I would highly recommend visiting your doctor for a check up and possible blood work to rule out a medical reason for your water retention. Retaining water is not only uncomfortable but can do serious damage to your heart if it gets out of hand. While walking does help to a point try to keep your feet elevated as much as possible. Best wishes in getting this figured out.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

damn...! If you are going to blast someone, you might want to explain why they are wrong. I am not saying the post is right or wrong, but come on man..you just call someone "ignorant" and then don't back up what you are saying?
    OK, so HE can make all kinds of statements with nothing explaining or backing him up, but someone doing the same thing gets called out for it?

Sorry, but this member I replied to repeatedly jumps on posts to slam low-carb, and telling people with metabolic disorders to eat pizza, beer, ice cream and lots of sugar. It's terribly bad advice not based in science and not-only is it unhelpful, it's dangerous.

He's also wrong because:

1) it's well known and an established physiological fact that low-carb diets result in lower overall hydration levels (as glycogen stores are 75% or more water) due to reduction in glycogen stores,

2) Low-carb, low-sugar and low-sodium diets are NOT "terrible diets" by any scientific reasoning,

3) Low-sodium diets also reduce water retention.

Obviously, if the OP is truly on a low-carb and low-sodium diet, it's NOT the diet that's causing water retention, and the suggestion it would be is completely ignorant.