Trader Joe's

Options
greybeh
greybeh Posts: 72 Member
I'm finding a lot of foods at Trader Joe's that I like. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend food from TJ's that is healthy and that tastes good.

Today, I had their Garden Veggie Lasagna. I was totally craving lasagna, and it's surprisingly satisfying.

Here are some staples in my house:
Hummus Dip w/o Tahini
Eggplant Cutlets
Cinnamon Puffins (high fiber and so tasty!)
Almonds
Green tea (comes in a big box for $1.99)
Meatless meatballs (they taste more like eggplant than "meat" and I love it!)
Peach freezer pops (45 cals each)
Low carb tortilla wraps (45 cals each!)
Grated Parmesan and Romano cheese
Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup
Pumpkin Butter (to mix with vanilla yogurt, and maybe with oatmeal -- haven't tried it yet)
Bruschetta (I use it on chicken w/ a little mozzarella cheese)
Champagne Grapes when they have them (YUM!!!)
Dark Chocolate Nibs (at about 1 calorie each)

Their frozen brown rice is convenient but I never have enough freezer space for it and I have started to think rice/pasta tends to rack up calories pretty quick. I can never stick to suggested portions for rice/pasta.

I do eat their Lowfat cats cookies though I wouldn't say they're "healthy." They just help me ward off snacking like mad until dinner is ready in the evening.

I have to stay away from "Better than Peanut Butter" because I could inhale it and I don't feel so good about the ingredient list now that I've taken a better look at it.

I had their "sweet" seaweed snacks. Only food from TJ's that I threw in the trash. The regular stuff might be OK, but sweet---well, that just clashes so badly with seaweed.

What are your favorites? Give me ideas!!! How about sandwich spreads, salsas, frozen foods... anything!

Replies

• sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Love their lowfat pita chips and all of the hummus, especially their horseradish. You've already discovered their almonds, they're terrific. Tzatki (which I think Ive spelled wrong), almond butter is awesome. They also sell a veggie version ot italian sausages that are great on the grill but also sauteed in a little olive oil with green and red peppers. Wasabi peas if you want something really spicy and for a sweet treat they make those pita chips in cinnamon. I love trader joes!
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything to add really, just wanted to say that the pumpkin butter is fantastic in oatmeal!
  • Erihppas
    Erihppas Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Love the Chicken Gyoza...
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    "guilt free" air popped popcorn. The lowest fat I've ever found in bagged popcorn, relatively low in salt, and usually fresh and tasty. YUM!

Also love their fire-roasted no salt added salsa, and they market a "sipping chocolate" that is to die for.

One of my favorite places, too!
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I like their bags of organic kale and spinach. Very convenient for quick meals.

Also, all of their nuts, because they are much cheaper than Whole Foods, etc.

And this isn't food, but their coconut oil body butter is awesome and only $4.99 where I live!
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    The salsa verde. Awesome. I could drink it right out of the jar. Not that I'd ever do such a thing...
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I like the Tuscano Cheese soaked in Syrah. Its not any healthier than other cheeses but I find if you use a good strong cheese you have to use less to get the same flavor so it is often my replacement for regular parm
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Their unsweetened cocoa powder is pretty good. I eat it every day (in smoothies, hot chocolate, etc.).
  • nellysaurus88
    nellysaurus88 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I tried their unsalted unblanched peanut butter because I'm trying to buy products on the shelf that have very little ingredients from now on. Well all it says is just peanuts lol so that was a plus. It was surprisingly good. I was expecting a terribly nasty bland peanut butter, but it is just so delicious. I highly recommend it and went online to check what other people thought of it later & they seem to like it as well.

I also love their edamame hummus. It was recommended on of my food blogs I visit & it is just heaven. I swear I ate that for 2 months straight and actually had to change it up a bit because I just kept eating it.

I also tried some steamed lentils for the first time. I swear I've eaten lentils before, but never bought it from them. This lady was buying 3 packages in front of me from the veggie aisle so I went over and picked up 1 too. It's so easy. You can heat it up or just eat it cold out of the package. I bought some of their chicken breast, threw that in a bag of Newman's Light Dijon dressing, shook it up, & grilled it. I had about 6 teaspoons of the lentils with it & it turned out to be such a good meal.

Although Trader Joe's is kind of out of the way and I have closer grocery stores, I go there specifically for their Pink Lady apples. I've found it at other grocery stores seasonally, but theirs have to be the best. I used to think Trader Joe's was expensive, but it really isn't. The quality and taste of their produce make up for the extra dollar or pennies spent probably.
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    The applesauce is so good! I am usually not a fan of it, but Trader Joe's organic brand is delish.
  • pmkrier
    pmkrier Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Their bagged lettuces, champagne pear salad dressing ( low cal), peanut butter drizzled granola bars, whole wheat cous cous, dried cranberries, frozen garlic/cilantro is awesome too.
  • thenfacetoface
    thenfacetoface Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Do they have pumpkin butter all year round? I am so in love with pumpkin that I sometimes eat it plain out of the can with cinnamon & pumpkin pie spice haha. I'd love to add it to my oatmeal that I eat every morning.
  • chelleb1974
    chelleb1974 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I like their rustico bread (one of the few I can find without soy in it), and the middle eastern flatbreads (for making home made pizza). I also love their selection of fruits/veg and meat. I buy their Olive Oil popcorn too, tastier and easier than air-popping at home, and not much more calories.

~Chelle
  • thenfacetoface
    thenfacetoface Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Vegetable Masala Burgers - veggie burgers with Indian spices (tastes like Channa Masala in the form of a veggie patty), 120 calories each

Soy Cream Mini Vanilla Sandwichs - slightly smaller sized vanilla soy cream sandwichs that taste even better than dairy ice cream (I grew up with soy milk so I could be biased though), 90 calories each

Bagged salad mix - especially Butter Lettuce and Radicchio, 5 calories per cup & 15 calories for the whole bag

Mini Chicken Tamalitos - small chicken tamales that curb cravings for a big tamale, 75 calories for one mini tamale

TJ's Egg White Ranchero-Style Egg Salad - delicious, salsa style take on healthy egg white salad, only 50 calories for one serving (half the container)

99% Fat Free Blueberry Muffins with Fiber - pretty "healthy" tasting (i.e. not very indulgent) but they have great fiber content and curb cravings for a muffin, 100 calories for one muffin

100 calorie snack pack mini Oatmeal Cookies - tasty crunchy mini cookies in a 100 calorie portion mini bags (6 bags per box), curb cravings for cookies for only 100 calories
  • freebird777
    Options
    Since I stopped using "regular" peanut butter, I've been looking for a yummy, cheap alternative. Trader Joe's raw creamy almond butter is GREAT. Just almonds on the ingredients list. And very affordable.

They have great cheeses, too. The Chèvre is my fav. I also buy chicken breast and fresh fish there.
  • apothecarist
    Options
    Was just there this morning and picked up the eggplant hummus and tomato basil hummus. Also got the vanilla whey protein powder, which tastes pretty good, btw, multivits, and a bunch of dog treats.
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Going to check out their green tea, thanks.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I also love their nut section, and cheeses, and yogurt, and milk, and frozen fish. As well as canned Alaskan salmon and kippers, yum.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Vegetable Masala Burgers - veggie burgers with Indian spices (tastes like Channa Masala in the form of a veggie patty), 120 calories each

These. I LOVE them. Make an awesome quick breakfast, too.
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    ...and their Flowers :flowerforyou: