How to measure food

Options
I'm confused when it comes to the right measurements of food intake.. Can anyone explain a simple way of measuring? * No I don't have a food scale*

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale. Seriously, it is worth it. You can find them for $10-20. It is the most accurate method to do so.

Much less accurate methods include using measuring cups/spoons.
  • Motivation4KB
    Motivation4KB Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Do they have them at wal-mart?
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Do they have them at wal-mart?

Yes. I used to have one from Wal-mart. It was around $15 and great (until I dropped it and had to get a new one).
  • whierd
    Options
  • Motivation4KB
    Options
    LOL Thanks! I tried the hand way but you either get to much or to little.. So I'll look the next time I head to Wal-mart..
  • Dr_Waffles
    Dr_Waffles Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Spend a little more and get these

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=207613&RN=1151&

Measures by weight or by volume (11-lb. capacity).
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Measuring food usually isn't the healthiest way to go about changing your eating habits. Just eat until you're full. Nothing more, nothing less. :smile:
  • whierd
    Options
    Measuring food usually isn't the healthiest way to go about changing your eating habits. Just eat until you're full. Nothing more, nothing less. :smile:

This...is completely incorrect.
  • Motivation4KB
    Options

This...is completely incorrect.

I agree so incorrect... I'm at 1970 calories and I've always measured to the best amount.. I can't be on a diet and not count.. that would be pointless.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Why are you a member of a calorie counting site, out of curiosity?
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    My son bought me one off of amazon for Christmas and it is Awesome. I had one from Wal-Mart already, but the one he got me I like so much better.
    The one he got me is a:
    Ozeri Touch Professional Digital Kitchen Scale (11 lb Edition)
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

If I did that, I'd still be in the same position I was when I started. Because that's how most people eat before they go on a diet...
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options

Why are you a member of a calorie counting site, out of curiosity?

Really
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

Umm...gonna have to disagree.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    A food scale will be your best investment!!! Measuring cups help too!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I'm confused when it comes to the right measurements of food intake.. Can anyone explain a simple way of measuring? * No I don't have a food scale*

Buy a food scale, it is the most accurate way and they aren't that expensive.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

This is just about f'ing stupid. Weighing and measuring teaches you proper portions and portion control.
  • dianamatienzo
    Options
    A food scale is the way to go! :) I would be sure and look for one that has a good weight capacity, a tare button, large display, and one that can fit a plate/bowl without covering the display. My boyfriend has the EatSmart™ Precision Pro Digital Kitchen Scale and it's inexpensive and works well! In the future, when we live together, I'd like to invest in a larger one though; but it's still a great scale! For now, at my house, I actually use a tiny jewelry scale :P But it works!