trying to lose weight..what foods ahould i avoid?

Options
2»

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Don't think in terms of good foods and bad foods. Weight loss is about calorie deficit. As long as you're eating less than your body burns through daily activity you will lose weight.

Read this and follow it, it's very simple:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/963088-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    None? Eat what you want if it's within your calories/macros. Lose weight, win.

This.

That being said here are a list of foods I avoid.

Mayonaisse
    Sardines
    Light Beer
    Radishes
    Pop Tarts
    Anything deep fried

This made me wonder: avoid because you don't like them? I kind of chuckled at the radishes part.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I avoid things that I personally don't think are worth the calories that they are (if that makes sense?!)

I want to make all of my calories count!
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Only buy things from the OUTSIDE of the grocery store. This means, don't go in the aisles. All the fresh produce is on the outside.

Chia seeds - so good in the morning, give you more energy and fibre etc and make you feel much better :)
    Fish/seafood - salmon, tuna, marlin, sword fish, mackerel, prawns etc, sometimes cooked, sometimes sushi
    Chicken breast
    Vegetables - spinach, carrot, broccoli, garlic, onion, sweet potato, tomatoes, pumpkin, lemons
    Beans - red kidney, black
    Fruit - bananas, apples, strawberries, grapefruit, blueberries
    Soy milk - with no added sugar, non GMO
    Tofu - always eaten raw
    Milk - full cream
    Plain yoghurt - no added sugars, low fat
    Brown rice - used to always have it at breakfast, trying to cut this out!
    Eggs - every day, with EGG YOLKS!
    Tinned tomatoes (sometimes)

in the pantry:
    Olive oil (used sparingly)
    Cinnamon
    Cumin
    Basil
    Parsley
    Pepper
    Salt
    Soy sauce
    Coconut oil

That is what makes my main diet... a bit of ham at times, and of course I stray when I eat out as well because I am human, however I NEVER eat processed foods at home!

Good luck with your journey :) If you want to avoid junk, simply don't have it in your house - that is the only way I stop myself from eating chocolate!
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Some great advice by my fellow MFP people. I reached my goal a little over a week ago. I did not avoid any 1 food particular however, I did limit things. As said above...If you use your calories on high fat/ high sugar foods, you will not get to eat a lot of food ad therefore you will be hungry.

Do not be afraid to try new things but always have a back up plan incase you do not like it. I love the skinnytaste.com site and most of her recipes are in the MFP database already. Everything we have tried from her site has been real good. You can also try a site called Emilybites there are some great recipes there as well

My best suggestion though is to come on here daily and as often as you can. You can get some great ideas not to mention motivation and support
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Sugar in you drinks 1 tea spoon of sugar has 16gs of sugar init so think of all the drinks you have and add it up I was eating over 200g of sugar a day in sugar alone!
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want to eat and what my body will tolerate. I avoid gluten, almost all grains, deep fried/fast food, baked goods, breads, etc. I love dairy. I don't want to deprive myself of anything, so I will just make sure to measure everything out and stick to my calorie limits.
  • agooddaytodiesoft
    Options
    None? Eat what you want if it's within your calories/macros. Lose weight, win.

This.

That being said here are a list of foods I avoid.

Mayonaisse
    Sardines
    Light Beer
    Radishes
    Pop Tarts
    Anything deep fried

Mayo and soda were the hardest things to cut out for me, a sandwich without mayo is not a sandwich, but anyways i've been mayo and soda free for about 3 months now, and i dont really crave soda anymore, but mayo still gets to me everytime i see my roommates gobbling it..
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I recommend avoiding foods that you don't like.

Besides that, just make smart choices (in terms of portions, nutrition, and activity) and enjoy every calorie that you consume. Logging truthfully and being kind to yourself about slip-ups can be helpful, too.

There ya go. This. Make good choices....but don't punish yourself by eating food you don't enjoy. Healthy food is tasty food!
  • drkangelluv
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feed back...I think I'm eating healthy or better then I was but what's strange is I feel like I'm starving lol...maby its cause I'm used to eating whatever whenever I wanted which was only lunch and dinner ..so I feel like I'm eating more but still hungry ..but I'm excersizing now and making better food choices so hopefully it will pay off..but thanks agine everyone for the feedback its very helpfull :-)
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    pretty much what everyone said dont avoid food just keep loggen everything some foods are real eye openers i personally stay away from chocolate spread omg 500 cals in 100g and chicken wings loved them till i saw how much more calories they are compared to skinless chickenbreast. And i pretty much have no takeout anymore because i dont know what is in there.
    That being said dont remove foods you love thats how cravings happen just keep track of your calories. That being said i had a tasty pizza today for dinner =)

*edit
    remember its not a diet you want its a lifestyle change and can you imagin the rest of your life without your favorite food?
  • dianamatienzo
    Options
    Everything in moderation :) But I would avoid fried, fast, and processed food the most. I have plenty of chicken, brown rice, fruits, veggies, eggs, tuna, greek yogurt, salmon, and tilapia. But as I said, everything in moderation is key :D
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Like someone said really, if you start logging you'll naturally stay away from things that don't really fill you up but use up a lot of calories.

The only things I've really cut are fried foods, I still eat fast food but I make better choices. And I eat a lot less of high calorie foods.
  • jukyu
    jukyu Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Denouncing any food or food group is irresponsible dieting. You can get fat on a "clean" diet if you blow your calories/macros.

IIFYM....eat it.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Besides that, just make smart choices (in terms of portions, nutrition, and activity) and enjoy every calorie that you consume. Logging truthfully and being kind to yourself about slip-ups can be helpful, too.

This.

Try to get adequate nutrition every day - you know, your lean meats, healthy fats, whole grains, fruits, veggies, etc. But enjoy other things if they fit your macros.
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Foods you can't control yourself with.
  • mstrickland9
    mstrickland9 Posts: 102
    Options
    Also if you are tracking your food intake very faithfully, every day, you will see almost immediately which foods are higher in calories. Once you start logging your calories every day it won't take long to see where you need to cut back, and which foods are lower in calories and you can start eating more of those foods! Let yourself have a treat now and again, too.
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options

^^this