Boils and or abcesses....sorry if this is tmi....HELP

Options
So ive been bigger my whole life and for as long as I can remember I have had these boils on my inner thighs. When I work out they tend to get worse. Well now they are spreading from inner thigh to top of thigh and now I have one on my stomach. My dr. Said they are from friction and once I lose I will stop having them...but they are painful and they scar...im sick of the scarring. I am so upset right now. Its so frustrating. I am working on changing my lifestyle to be healthy...but its not working on these things. Has anyone had these? Please share! I know they are so embarrassing...but I cant be the only one with this problem...I was okay when they werejust on my thighs but now they are spreading. I even found a small pimple below my breast last week which may be unrelated but is now gone. I need to know that this will go away...thank you!

Replies

• jfsears
    jfsears Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If they are spreading I would be concerned that you may have a staff infection, I once had a client with this problem, he kept getting them and the doc said the same thing you were told, until one day one was really bad and we took him to a walk in clinic- the doc gave him some antibiotics and they cleared up and didn't come back.
  • FreeHugs0150
    Options
    Even though ive had them for years?
  • jfsears
    jfsears Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, this was just my experience with my client.
  • prozac5489
    Options
    I've been big since adolescence, and I've battled these things too. They're decidedly unsexy, aren't they? My experience has been that I do tend to get them most frequently in high friction areas, which are usually my inner thighs and where my pants waistband sits on my stomach. I've also occasionally got them around my armpit where my underwires rub. They have popped up other places, too, but definitely not as frequently.

I did notice that I got much fewer of these when I was on oral Keflex® (cephalexin) for acne back in my teens, but unless your doctor says its alright, I'd be wary about taking antibiotics long term what with the growing rate of antibiotic resistance. You might try showering after exercise and taking care to wash your friction areas, then moisturize afterwards. Seems to work well enough for me.
  • ClarrissaN
    ClarrissaN Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Well... My daughter had a really high fever (105) a couple of years ago (she was 11 months old) and I took her to the ER and they ran all kinds of test and said she had a virus and sent her home. A few days later we found a boil on her butt. Took her back to the ER and they sent her to a childrens hospital 2 hrs away to have it removed, she was in the hospital for 5 days in isolation. The doctor's were all torn between if it was MRSA or not. Turns out it was. But she has had 2 since and they did not seem the least bit worried and did not even test for it. Told me as long as she was not in enough pain to keep her from walking she was fine. They also said she was a carrier. Also they are contagious my husband and I both got them after her. Last year she smashed her finger and it swelled up and turned green, so thinking she broke it I took her to the ER, turned out to be another boil... they did not even test it for MRSA but gave her antibiotics for it, and said keep it covered.
  • Joniboloney
    Joniboloney Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Have you tried BodyGlide? It's a anti-chafe balm. You can get it at running stores and Amazon carries it too. It really helps to reduce the friction that is generated when skin rubs against something, including other skin.

But to be on te safe side, I would first have it check out to make sure it's not a staph infection or a virus of some type.

Good luck!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Have you tried BodyGlide? It's a anti-chafe balm. You can get it at running stores and Amazon carries it too. It really helps to reduce the friction that is generated when skin rubs against something, including other skin.

But to be on te safe side, I would first have it check out to make sure it's not a staph infection or a virus of some type.

Good luck!

BodyGlide works great! I used to use it between my thighs when wearing skirts or shorts and it really helps. Also, this sounds odd but you could use deodorant asd a temporary solution until you get some. Simply rub it on where you get the irritation.
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    try washing with DIAL everytime you shower.
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    My sister has the same problem; however she also gets them in her arm pit area and under her breast. She has seen a dermatologist who made it clear to her that DIET was a significant factor to rid herself of this problem However; my sister has 100 lbs to lose, she is a smoker and her diet is very poor... so this dermatologist made it clear to her that until she changed her lifestyle; there was nothing they could do to help her.
    So keep at it and work at making lifestyle changes and there may be light at the end of the tunnel!
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Being big we are not putting the healthiest things into our body.. I heard boils were one of your body's way of getting rid of toxins & crap. if that is true then a healthier diet and sweating with exercise should help clear it up but it won't happen over night.
  • Kingacat
    Kingacat Posts: 33
    Options
    I get them too and they are painful, so bad that I've had to keep them covered with dressings and I've been in tears with the pain. But I've learnt the secret to keeping them to a minimum... GO SUGAR FREE. Seriously it's the best thing to do.
    I spoke to a beauty therapist about them and she said they are diet related. She also said not to squeeze them under the skin as you will damage your skin.
    Since I've changed my eating they don't come up as often at all. No sugar is worth that pain! :sad:
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor. There could be underlying issues.
  • JessieLynn00
    JessieLynn00 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    More than likely it's an infection of a hair follicle..probably staff. I'm not over weight but I get them frequently especially in my bikini line and have for years so weight loss may not help to prevent them. Antibiotics seem to clear them but they eventually come back. My doctor just said to be more careful with shaving and not to wear clothes that rub that area. I have given up trying to stop them. I just try to ease the pain while they're flaired up by using the antibiotic ointment with pain reliever and a bandaid.
  • Dinerarose
    Options

Good luck!

BodyGlide works great! I used to use it between my thighs when wearing skirts or shorts and it really helps. Also, this sounds odd but you could use deodorant asd a temporary solution until you get some. Simply rub it on where you get the irritation.

Not sure about using deodorants on the areas where she gets them would help, but I used to get boils alot on my underarms and my doctor told me that the last thing you want to do is put deodorant on it, especially an anti perspirant, so not sure but from experiences with boils and being told by my doctor not to use deodorants as that irritates it and makes it worse, then I don't think thats such a good idea.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Drain them and get on antibiotics. I was on the junk for a few years so I used to get them on my hands, arms, and feet from shooting up.
  • releame
    releame Posts: 10
    Options
    Body glide is a must in my exercise/running bag. My thunder thighs never have chafing now that I use it. Prevent the friction may help . Also I always cover the effect areas by wearing snug fitting clothing ie spandex longer running shorts/pants.
    Also wondering if some bloodwork or a swab for culture should be done.
  • JessieLynn00
    JessieLynn00 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Drain them and get on antibiotics. I was on the junk for a few years so I used to get them on my hands, arms, and feet from shooting up.
    [/quote

great for you for getting clean!!!! That's wonderful!
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Hidredenitis suprativa and there is a group that deals with this may have some suggestions
  • Gromssis
    Gromssis Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Go to your doctor to check them out. It could also be an infection caught from hospitals, gym change rooms, pools and showers etc called MRSA. MRSA is drug resistant. and causes painful boils that need to be surgically drained and treated by a doctor. Just make sure, so you can treat the area appropriately and prevent recurrence.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Oops sorry - I just realized that you already went to the doctor. Go to a second doctor. I had some weird breakouts on my scalp - the doctor recommended Hibiclens - it's supposed to disinfect wound areas and prevent cross contamination.