roadtrip

Options
Hey everyone,

I'm leaving on Thursday (Wednesday your time) for a big trip to Alice Springs for a wedding. We are flying there, but once in Alice Springs my ex and I (long story, we won't start! :) are driving up to Uluru/Ayer's Rock to see this magnificent wonder of the world! It is going to be a bit of a whirlwind trip and we will be driving HEAPS and staying in a not-cheap hotel as they are all pretty touristy up there.

So, my basic need is this: quick, easy, affordable meals that are car-stable for the long drive, and once we arrive in Yulara, foods that we can make easily for ourselves at the hotel.

Easy, right? :) Okay, now start pouring out solutions for me please!!! :heart:

Thanks to all!

erin

Replies

• barefootbabe
    barefootbabe Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I'm leaving on Thursday (Wednesday your time) for a big trip to Alice Springs for a wedding. We are flying there, but once in Alice Springs my ex and I (long story, we won't start! :) are driving up to Uluru/Ayer's Rock to see this magnificent wonder of the world! It is going to be a bit of a whirlwind trip and we will be driving HEAPS and staying in a not-cheap hotel as they are all pretty touristy up there.

So, my basic need is this: quick, easy, affordable meals that are car-stable for the long drive, and once we arrive in Yulara, foods that we can make easily for ourselves at the hotel.

Easy, right? :) Okay, now start pouring out solutions for me please!!! :heart:

Thanks to all!

erin
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a road trip fiend. I bring a cooler (I'm sure you could get a cheap one and donate it afterwards so you don't have to fly it home) with cut veggies and hummus. I don't know what kind of stores Australia has, but many stores here offer ready to eat veggies and fruit. I also bring cereal and milk that doesn't have to be refrigerated - it comes in 1 cup containers, and I put it on ice the night before. I also bring nuts in 1 oz bags (so I don't over eat them). I will bring stuff that may not be completely diet friendly, knowing that it's better than what I'll get on the road - like a PB&J on whole wheat.

I'll usually have two meals a day packed and have one meal on the road. I also take a walk every couple of hours. Keeps the blood moving, keeps you from falling asleep, and keeps the calories burning!

As far as foods for the hotel, I've never had a destination that wasn't a big city or have plenty of healthy restaurants to to choose from, so hopefully someone else will chime in.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I am total with Mary on the advise. Fresh fruit and veggies. Maybe some cheese and Whole wheat bread, or crakers.
    Peanut butter, hummus,
    and the popular old standby, bottled water. :drinker: :happy:
    I have even noticed these days that there are some camping stores that have dried meals, just add water and there you go. I have notices that a lot are low in fat.
    There is no need to explain the ex factor here. :happy:
    I have taken two road trips with my ex husband. Those where to say the least...INTERESTING!!!:embarassed:
    --Diann...
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I don't know how easy they are to find and this might sound a little nuts. But that being said freeze dried fruit is actually quite tasty. It would be easy in the car no fuss no muss sort of thing. Dried fruit is good otherwise.

Enjoy your trip.
    Eve
  • mshunk
    mshunk Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Granola Bars are great too! And Craisins - - dried Cranberries. - - Watch the Cheese, it has a lot of calories, but is a healthy snack. I always have peapods and hummus for our road trips.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    erin,
    Have a great trip. stay away from the fried foods. Pack some snacks, and remember to try to squeeze in some exercise.
  • barefootbabe
    barefootbabe Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Maybe I will give climbing the rock a shot for some exercise . . . it's the world's largest free standing monolith, so I would think it might be a challenge!