Low carb diet no weight loss

Options
Hi im doing insanity and a low carb diet my diet is pretty consitant. I am having porridge before my workout and then a shake afterwards . A chicken breast for lunch with steamed veg and same for tea. But still no weight loss! Well i gained four pounds in the first week but that as come off now but im guessing that is water weight ? So really i am not counting that as a loss because im still stuck at where i was at .. Anyone have any advice thanks :) .

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It would appear to me that you are doing a workout that requires a lot of fuel and you're not eating jack squat. You have to have a deficit of calories to lose weight, but you also have to eat enough to lose weight. Too large a deficit and you will stall your metabolism...it is the bodies way of protecting itself in a low calorie situation like famine.

How many calories are you netting and grossing?
  • rhaych
    rhaych Posts: 4
    Options
    Im having around 750 calories a day and my net is 121 what would you advise to change ? Thanks
  • Etienne54
    Etienne54 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    121 in net calories is crazy, you should be eating way more.

Open your diary so we can help you out.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Troll?
  • rhaych
    Options
    Whats troll mean if that means im taking the piss far from it. Thing i cant understand is i did the same diet last year lost 48 pounds then gained it all again but not working what so ever for me this time round?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Im having around 750 calories a day and my net is 121 what would you advise to change ? Thanks

Yes, you should be eating 5x that number or more. The bare minimum requires for women is 1800, men is 2200-2400.. so yes, you are starving yourself.
  • tomcornhole
    Options
    Eat a lot more food.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Whats troll mean if that means im taking the piss far from it. Thing i cant understand is i did the same diet last year lost 48 pounds then gained it all again but not working what so ever for me this time round?

You gained it back because you had an adapted resting metabolic rate, which means your body became good at burning less calories. So once you started to eat normal, you will gain quickly.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

Is it organic free range chicken?
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    .... i did the same diet last year lost 48 pounds then gained it all again but not working what so ever for me this time round?

Take a lesson from what happened the last time. Its NOT the way to lose weight...honest! I did something similar years ago...gained it all back and THEN some. This time its slow and steady and for keeps...and I am eating a lot more.
  • KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what porridge is, but it doesn't sound low carb. Also, you should be getting around 1500-1800 calories per day. Go for bacon and scrambled eggs with butter for breakfast, forget the porridge.
    Lunch can be tuna or turkey with lettuce and Swiss cheese in a soy sushi wrap and steamed broccoli. Dinner can be six or eight ounces of steak and a wedge salad with blue cheese dressing. Macadamia nuts or almonds for snack. Plus lots of water, broth, etc.
    and tea sounds fine as long as you're not putting sugar in it.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I am not sure what porridge is, but it doesn't sound low carb. Also, you should be getting around 1500-1800 calories per day. Go for bacon and scrambled eggs with butter for breakfast, forget the porridge.
    Lunch can be tuna or turkey with lettuce and Swiss cheese in a soy sushi wrap and steamed broccoli. Dinner can be six or eight ounces of steak and a wedge salad with blue cheese dressing. Macadamia nuts or almonds for snack. Plus lots of water, broth, etc.
    and tea sounds fine as long as you're not putting sugar in it.

The OP is a guy and doing an intense workout. He will need a lot more than that.

OP, use the link below to figure out your caloric goal.

http://www.teambeachbody.com/eat-smart/nutrition-tools/caloric-needs
  • PrettyCoolCat
    Options
    Hey. I'm into powerlifting / Bodybuilding which is a little different than the HiiT workouts included in Insanity, But im going to give you a two tips and few reasons why your weight loss is Stalled, and also explain why You gained back all that weight that you had lost in a quick summary. I'll also be posting in the Forums a diet plan that works for 90% of people that will help reach your goals.

#1. Your calories (Even if you didn't do insanity) And far too low and this causes your leptin levels to drop which causes your body to want to Hold onto Fat. In essence, your body believes it is starving.
    - If you are following an exercise plan such as Insanity, The Bare minimum calories I would recommend is 1600-1800 for females and 1800-2000 for males.
    - This is also the reason you gained back all the weight that you lost previously. Your metabolic rate dropped so low and got used to your body basically "Starving" That you probably went back to the average recommended calories per day, and your body stored fat like a bear getting ready for winter.

#2 Macronutrients Play a big roll in fat loss / Muscle preservation. The fact that you say you are only taking in around 900 calories tells me you are either:
    - Not Getting enough Protein
    - Not getting enough Fat
    - Combination of both.
    You should be taking in at least 0.3g (Absolute lowest) to 0.5g of Fat per LB. of Bodyweight. And that is still a low amount. So for instance if you weighed 150lbs, You should be consuming at least 75g of fat per day. Which is approximately 675 calories in just fat. And for muscle preservation (Especially while doing HiiT) your protein requirements should be at least at 0.8g to 1.0g per LB of bodyweight. Which if we stick to the example.. would be 150g of Protein which is 600 Calories. Those are the minimum requirements, and that totals to a 1275 Calories. This is if absolutely ZERO carbs were in diet. Which when you add in vegetables and a well recommended amount of fiber, we know this isn't the case.

Hope this helps.
  • tomcornhole
    Options
    Seems that site requires you to sign up to get to anything. Got a direct link?
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options

You gained it back because you had an adapted resting metabolic rate, which means your body became good at burning less calories. So once you started to eat normal, you will gain quickly.

This!

Same thing happened to me, I `ve lost 40 lbs by eating 1000 cal-day and burnt 800-day so my net was only 200 . Soon as I stopped exercising I gained it all back.
  • Brassteacher
    Options
    Porridge is high carb, not low. If you want to do low carb, you should study up a bit. I think you are hurting yourself with the way you are eating. I'd stop it and study up on what you want to do so you can loose weight and he healthy too.
  • rhaych
    Options
    Ive done abit of research and decided to change my diet here is what i have come up with

Meal 1: bacon grilled with 2 eggs and butter
    Meal 2 :25g of almonds with natural yoghurt
    Meal 3:Chicken breast with steamed veg
    Meal 4: omelette with cheese
    Meal 5 chicken breast with steamed veg
    Also some peanut butter and cheese to higher calorie intake does this seem any better thanks
  • KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's better.
    Calories are a delicate balance as the others were saying- you certainly dont want your body to get used to so little-and yes, if you are male your calorie count can be much higher than a female's.
    Chicken might get boring, so feel free to have beef, fish, etc. and mix it up.
    Also, be careful about yogurt. Some are not very low carb at all. If your aim is for keytone you'll need to keep your carb intake below 20 per day. Some people have good things to say about cottage cheese.
    Good luck!