Can someone take alook at my food diary?

Options
Im new here, Im just wondering about my sugar intake, I cant seem to keep it down even though I feel like Im eating the right things? Maybe Im not.....

Thanks guys :)

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    First up, you need to change your diary settings to "public" so we can see them.

Secondly, the sugar setting on MFP is REALLY low - if you have one piece of fruit it'll be over. It's good to keep an eye on if you have real issue with sugar, but that alone wont affect your weight loss.
  • SamanthaMitch1981
    Options
    Hiya thanks for the info, Ive made my diary public now.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    It doesn't look too much over to me, (from the few pages I checked out). Your meals look well balanced. If you like berries it may be helpful to know that berries tend to have less sugar than other types of fruit. Its also worth remembering that fruit sugar has fiber (which helps keep you feeling fuller for longer) which fruit juice and refined sugar does not
  • SamanthaMitch1981
    Options
    Great thanks for the info :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You can see your self where the big culprits are.

Ignore the sugar from fruit - but go for berries or melon for lower sugar fruits.

You're choosing low fat yoghurts and cheeses. These usually have added sugar to make up for the loss of flavour from the low fat-ness. It can be better to go for the fuller fat version of dairy, nutritionally speaking.

And those flavoured waters aren't a great choice - make your own infused water by getting a jug of iced water in the fridge, add mint/ cucumber/lemon/ lime/ginger/ whatever.
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    If you want to reduce your sugar I wouldn't drink juice/flavoured waters. Eat the whole fruit at least with the sugar you are getting the fiber at the same time. Drink water or herbal teas, or just tea/coffee in moderation.

I would avoid eating low fat flavoured yogurt - this tends to be high in sugar. Try greek or natural yogurt and add some frozen berries. You may (probably will, I like tart tastes and it took me a while) find this tart, but I adjusted to it. Frozen raspberries are particularly nice, ends up a bit like frozen yoghurt/ice-cream.

I try to avoid processed foods - I'm looking at the baked beans/shop bought soups. But I like cooking and generally have time. You could do far worse. But it's far easier to control if you're the one doing the cooking.

Bear in mind mfp sets the limit very low.
  • melissapierce737
    melissapierce737 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I didn't look at the food diary, but I see that my sugar intake is way high too and I can't believe it sometimes. Somebody commented on it not being a factor when you loose weight, but it really does. Sugar turns to fat in our bodies when we have an overage, and is also the culprit behind heart issues and of course type two diabetes. I agree with the "not eating low-fat dairy" we tend to be hungrier when we eat those things. I am sticking to the whole or natural foods as much as I can...avoiding certain types of oil and refined sugars.. :) good luck
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Im new here, Im just wondering about my sugar intake, I cant seem to keep it down even though I feel like Im eating the right things? Maybe Im not.....

Thanks guys :)

Thursday is bad, but I guess that is the first day of your logging?

Friday & Saturday look great with food choices.

I should not worry about the sugar content from your food choices at this time?

More importantly, it seems like you are on a 1200 cals a day thing? This is not bad, I do it too..but make sure you eat any exercise cals.

Get into the whole logging thing and use the search bar on MFP you will find lots of answers to questions you may have,

The most important thing when you are starting on MFP...this is IMO is keeping your diary? xx
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the sugars that come from fruits as it is natural sugar but I would cut out the juice as it's quite high just for a beverage. In terms of other food, just make sure to check the nutrional informatiion to make sure it's low in sugar. ~
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the sugars that come from fruits as it is natural sugar but I would cut out the juice as it's quite high just for a beverage. In terms of other food, just make sure to check the nutrional informatiion to make sure it's low in sugar. ~

I agree
  • tommygutt
    tommygutt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It looks a bit low on protein and fat at times in my opinion. :)
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason, like diabetes, don't worry about the sugar. Many healthy things like fruit will include lots of sugar. Keep an eye on carbohydrates, if you like, and try to eat the "whole", less refined or foods with a lower glycemic index -- those usually take longer to digest, make you feel fuller and tend to be higher in other nutritional content.
    Many people here track fiber instead of sugar.
    Good luck!

If you want additional starting suggestions, see http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/how-to-use-myfitnesspal-427993
  • SamanthaMitch1981
    Options
    Thanks for the replys will take it all onboard. I didnt realise the juice hd so much sugar in I was just so fed up with water lol. I have also just noticed the soup contained quite alot of sugar......now thats thrown me.
  • SamanthaMitch1981
    Options
    Also regarding it being quite low on fat, it has to be Im taking Xenical, anything with more than 3-5g of fat per 100g has real nasty side effects for me.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    2 bananas a day is 2 many bananas. Aim for a banana every other day.

Choose plain yogurt instead of the kind with "fruit". Add fresh berries on top of the plain yogurt instead.

And where are your fresh vegetables??? A salad every once in awhile is not enough vegetables. Half your plate should be fresh vegetables.

otherwise looks good to me,.
  • SamanthaMitch1981
    Options
    Plain low fat or just plain yoghurt?

Im abit of a vegetable hater Im afraid, thats why I tend to have huge salads, I will have to start trying different veggies I suppose.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Plain low fat or just plain yoghurt?

Im abit of a vegetable hater Im afraid, thats why I tend to have huge salads, I will have to start trying different veggies I suppose.

Well I am not usually a fan of low fat foods but i do choose low fat greek yogurt because of the caloric content. But dont pick the kinds that are flavored with fruit- the sugar content is way too high.

And there is a whole world of vegetables out there, its not possible to hate them all. How about cucumbers or sugar snap peas with ranch? zucchini sticks? Carrots and hummus? Celery with a little cream cheese? edamame with sea salt?
  • sfalcon
    sfalcon Posts: 5
    Options
    I would not worry about the sugar also as other posters have mentioned. Sugar will not turn to fat when you are at a calorie deficit.

Also try to prepare your own meals, prepackaged food has more sugar and sodium.

Add more fresh vegetables. This is probably the hardest thing for me...
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    It looks a bit low on protein and fat at times in my opinion. :)

This...with so little calories you are on your way to lose a huge amount of muscle mass....Up your protein and good fats - that will balance out the sugar as well.....
  • SamanthaMitch1981
    Options
    The problem with good fats is Xenical doesnt distinguish between good and bad fats, I tried to have a nice piece of salmon with new potatoes and broccoli last week, I had major problems.