Planet Fitness Gym question

Options
So, I was thinking of getting a membership at Planet Fitness in my town. There is one close by after I move to that location and wanted to sign up online. It is a gym I would be able to afford and very close as well. That's where I'm confused.

They have a 20 dollars a month and it's, like, it has everything. Can go to any gym anywhere, guest privileges, tanning privileges, waterbed privileges, unlimited fitness training.

Then they have the $15 and the $10 a month. Under those two, they only list: Can only go to the gym you choose; Unlimited fitness training and a free t-shirt. I want more info on what the cheap offers offer but there is no way to find out any information about it on the website. I'll call them up if no one on here knows anything either :)

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    So, I was thinking of getting a membership at Planet Fitness in my town. There is one close by after I move to that location and wanted to sign up online. It is a gym I would be able to afford and very close as well. That's where I'm confused.

They have a 20 dollars a month and it's, like, it has everything. Can go to any gym anywhere, guest privileges, tanning privileges, waterbed privileges, unlimited fitness training.

Then they have the $15 and the $10 a month. Under those two, they only list: Can only go to the gym you choose; Unlimited fitness training and a free t-shirt. I want more info on what the cheap offers offer but there is no way to find out any information about it on the website. I'll call them up if no one on here knows anything either :)

Trust me. Planet Fitness = Bad idea.
  • jalloggio
    jalloggio Posts: 141
    Options
    Planet fitness is ok if you feel like spending 10 dollars a month to run on a treadmill
  • kels1152
    kels1152 Posts: 74
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with planet fitness at all! The one I go to has great staff and it's kept very clean. There is a lot of equipment so anyone can be successful with hitting their fitness goals.
    I was there all the time but I am now doing Insanity do I've been doing my workouts at home instead but I still have my membership. When I was going I was getting great cardio AND strength workouts in so you can do just more than a treadmill workout in.
    I'm sure you'll enjoy it! :):)
  • jalloggio
    jalloggio Posts: 141
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with planet fitness at all! The one I go to has great staff and it's kept very clean. There is a lot of equipment so anyone can be successful with hitting their fitness goals.
    I was there all the time but I am now doing Insanity do I've been doing my workouts at home instead but I still have my membership. When I was going I was getting great cardio AND strength workouts in so you can do just more than a treadmill workout in.
    I'm sure you'll enjoy it! :):)

The lunk alarm is ridiculous it's a judgement free zone as long as you aren't a bodybuilder. Different strokes for different folks. Their dumbbells only go up to 60 pounds
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I saw a new PF commercial just last night where instead of shaming musclebound guys, they tried out the new tactic of shaming cute girls that dress nice to go to the gym. Equal opportunity shaming, those PF marketing people.

Anyhoo, if it's close to you and you're a beginner then it's a perfectly fine place to get started, assuming the location near you has a squat rack or power cage. And the levels seem to follow normal membership tiers

$20 = all you can eat, anywhere, any time
    $15 = all you can eat, but only at your local gym
    $10 = only cardio equipment and weights (such as they are at PF). None of the step or zumba or bodypump or other classes are available to you.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is a joke, IMHO.

The one near the Gold's Gym that I am a member of tried to lure customers to their POS "gym" on our grand opening 2 years ago by having free pizza if you join their's instead.
  • markdisiena19
    Options
    my planet fitness is ok, one thing I don't like is telling to take it easy on the weights I am trying to build muscle and feel it hard to build muscle at planet fitness because it so boring.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    my planet fitness is ok, one thing I don't like is telling to take it easy on the weights I am trying to build muscle and feel it hard to build muscle at planet fitness because it so boring.

Planet Fitness is a gym designed exclusively for people whose goal is weight loss. If you have any other goal really, it's not for you. But if weight loss is your goal, it's not THAT bad.
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've gone as a guest once or twice before and it's just boring. The only thing I think they are good for are the cardio machines. Try and see if there are other gyms available in your area, or maybe workout from home?Can't beat THAT deal, it's free.
  • fluffychicken7
    fluffychicken7 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is a joke, IMHO.

The one near the Gold's Gym that I am a member of tried to lure customers to their POS "gym" on our grand opening 2 years ago by having free pizza if you join their's instead.

I accept it for what it is. A no frills, low priced gym. If you really think about it, gyms makes money from you being a member and not using it. And at least where I come from, it's not uncommon for people to have memberships in more than one gym. (I have two.) And then there are dance studios and specialty boutique gyms.

Your experience from Golds Gym, will be different from the experience at NYSC (approx. $90/mo.) or Equinox (approx $190/mo.) And that is the nature of the industry. There's a budget range different people and also different amenities, and granted they are not paying and then staying home, going to the gym is nothing but a good thing.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness works for me. I have the $10.00 plan. no commitment contract, can cancel anytime I want. It is more cardio. Treadmills, bikes, etc. That is what I am after. I am not into body building. Yes there are weights there. That is fine too. I do use weights here at home too. They ahve TV's to watch to keep from being board. For the price, it is well worth it to me. the one I joined also has lots of machines. I don't know the names of all of them, but there are machines to work the chest, arms, abs, etc.
  • marsgirlly
    marsgirlly Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You all are kind of making me feel like crap (my emotional state is questionable at this current point, but still.)

I JUST got a membership to PF and I've been so excited about it! And now everybody is making me feel like I made the wrong decision. It's clean, the equipment is nice, and it's only "boring" if you're a stiff who doesn't know how to entertain themselves. Also, I'm a poor young professional, and $10 a month is rad.

To the OP: I would suggest the $10 option. Maybe it's because I'm white as snow, but I don't think the contract and the extra money is worth the tanning bed and massage chair. Plus, there's no obligation, so if you hate it (as people are obviously trying to get you to do) you can cancel your membership.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I heard you can't drop weights or grunt
  • mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on which gym. Have a friend that goes to one near her way across town, loves it. The one closest to me is a Homecoming Nightmare. That's the best way to describe it. It's all pretty much buff people getting pretty or cute and then picking up other buff people. It's like an odd singles bar with no alcohol and strange hours.
    Instead I paid a little more a month for an Anytime Fitness membership. They're available 24/7/365, I have strange free time with my work schedule fluctuating all the time. It's almost never crowded. I did have one time when all the cardio machines were full up, but I switched and did weights that day. It tends to be an older more respectful crowd. It just fit me better.
    Everyone will be different. Get a free trial and see what you think. It's how I made my choice. :)
  • iBreatheMusic88
    Options
    I recently went to another gym that offered the same stuff for 20 bucks but had a pool, sauna steamroom and tanning.. I was not motivated at PF because they didnt have a pool, but I didnt wanna go to the Y and pay 40 bucks just for them to close at 10. The pool and hot tub is my reward for working out! If I were you Id look into other gyms first. But PF is ok
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    If that is what you can afford, then certainly go. I belonged for about 6 months. They are franchises and since they continually market such low rates, it is hard for the individual owners to make money. So do't expect the newest equipment, and the AC wont be set high. But it is clean and certainly worth the money.

Enjoy.
  • kw344
    kw344 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I joined Planet Fitness just a couple weeks ago and love it. My husband was a member at the Y for years and paying $47.00 a month just for him. It kept going up. He doesn't use the pool, take classes so a good part was a waste of money. He has access to the same machines and weights at PF for only $10.00 a month. I had been using the treadmill at home, but wanted to use an elliptical and do some of the strength training machines so I joined too. To me it was a no brainer switching from $47.00 a month for just him to $20.00 a month for the 2 of us.
  • stephelan
    stephelan Posts: 81
    Options
    I'm under the impression that Planet Fitness has ****ty locations that are REALLY ****ty and nice locations that are REALLY nice. The one that I go to is about six months old and it's REALLY nice. It's clean, has a TON of cardio equipment, a HUGE weight section with free weights and machines, an ab section and a circuit area similar to like...Curves or something. (Wow, I sound like I work there...) Televisions and very clean locker rooms.

I only got the $10 deal because I don't need tanning or other locations. I'd say go for that one and if you feel you need to upgrade later, go for it? But before you buy, go visit and make sure you have a nice one!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options
    Not my type of gym, however it has the essentials for one to exercise with weights and cardio. And that's where it starts. If we as a fitness organization can get people to start, then they have a chance to finish too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options

The cheap offers main feature is that you can only work out a one location on a regular basis. I like the idea of being able to work out in different ones (of which there are a lot here in CT).

PF works for me because I just want to get a work out in, take a shower and go about my day. I am not interested in the social bs, cliquiness, and yes, the meat heads that I have experienced at other gyms. That's just me, though. :smile:

Good luck!