Gluten and Dairy Free Snacks

Options
Most of the menus I see for eating healthy include either gluten or dairy, what do you eat for snacks and meals? I struggle with eating enough calories because I can't get outside of the box. Thank you:O)

Replies

• hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm 100% DF and GF, so are my kids. We just stick to naturally GF/DF foods for the most part. Veggies, fruits and fruits, proteins (jerky, egg, lean meats etc) The kids drink coconut milk and eat rice crackers, cakes, cereals, breads etc. Not a ton of them, but once in awhile. There are very few processed snacks that fit into the GF/DF guidelines. How about Lara bars? They are GF/DF. Nuts? Seeds? Apple with PB?

You can find recipes to bake pretty much anything GF/DF. Earth Balance is a DF butter alternative, and you can use soy/rice/coconut milk in place of regular milk in recipes.

For dinners we eat a protein, a veggies and sometimes a side like rice, quinoa, potatoes, GF pasta (not often though)

Some things can't really be re-made. Things like mac and cheese will never be the same without real cheese, the vegan stuff is pretty nasty.
  • ParkerWoman
    Options
    I eat most of those things. I guess my real issue is not getting in enough calories. I can't seem to eat enough food. LOL A problem I have never had before! The most I seem to get is 1500 and I need 1800. Thank you for sharing:O)
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Hummus!
  • bcklee
    bcklee Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bump--I recently started eating gluten free and I am looking for ideas!
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm also GF but tolerate dairy OK. The non-dairy snacks I eat include rice cakes with either almond butter or hummus, nuts, celery with nut butter or hummus, the occasional GF bar, and tostadas/taco shells with "whatever" in/on them (according to how many calories I need - guacamole is good). That would be in addition to fruit (I prefer citrus, bananas and berries). You can certainly eat various kinds of GF crackers and chips, but I've quit buying those because single serves are too expensive and I can't manage "portion control" with multi-serving packages (you mean the whole box isn't "1 serving")
  • renyart1
    renyart1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Two of my favorite gluten free snacks (when I am not wanting to eat fruits and vegetables): Pirate's Booty Aged White Cheddar baked puffs. They are natural, gluten and trans-free! I also love the Blue Diamond Nut-Thins, all varieties.
  • thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    My go to snack is usually roasted, unsalted soy nuts. Great mix of carbs, proteins and fats.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Ians has a new cracker, sooo good. They also have vegan, gluten free french bread pizzas and onion rings.

For foods you don't have to specialty buy, try things like hummus and veggies, trail mix, potatoes (a great snack), fruit, many chip type snack foods (just check), salsa and tortilla chips, popcorn.