Weight loss is super slow and rare...why?

Options
I'm eating between 1500-1800 calories daily. I am running about 3 miles daily. I don't understand why I am not losing weight in a consecutive basis and the predicted 2lbs a week?

It's going by super slow. Why am I not melting fat off my body if I'm clearly creating a 1000 calorie deficit and exercising at the same time?

BMR is about 2500. I weigh 216, 5'7 and exercise about 4-5 times a week.

My diary is public, please feel free to look into it.

Replies

• elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    without you telling us how much you have lost over what period of time its hard to give feedback except for this: weight loss is not linear, and its not fast. Unless you are extremely overweight, the fat isn't going to melt off you.

If your profile pic is you, and current (and not photoshopped lol) then the predicted 2lbs a week is probably not gong to happen. I was losing at that rate when i was 300 pounds, and 250. Now that I am down closer to 200, it's much more slow going.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Eating back exercise calories?
  • crazy4fids
    crazy4fids Posts: 173
    Options
    How long have you been doing this? It make take a few weeks to see any results. What is your sodium consumption like? Sodium makes your body retain water. Are you lifting any weights or just running and doing cardio? Most people will have better weight loss success when doing a combination of cardio and weight/resistance training. Are you religious about weighing and logging everything you eat? Those unlogged calories all add up. How often are you weighing? Your weight can change from day to day as much as 5 pounds. As long as you are seeing a downward trend in your weight, you are doing well. Did you take measurements? Sometimes you may loose inches instead of weight.
  • without you telling us how much you have lost over what period of time its hard to give feedback except for this: weight loss is not linear, and its not fast. Unless you are extremely overweight, the fat isn't going to melt off you.

If your profile pic is you, and current (and not photoshopped lol) then the predicted 2lbs a week is probably not gong to happen. I was losing at that rate when i was 300 pounds, and 250. Now that I am down closer to 200, it's much more slow going.

There is a lot of women who have a face that doesn't look fat. I have seen many women who send me pics, then they show you a picture of their body and it's a completely different story. It's hard to tell how big a woman is based on her face. (hopefully this didn't come out wrong)

^ Spot on. This is true. I carry most of my fat on my midsection. My legs, arms, face is fairly decent. My stomach and love handles is where the problem lies.
  • alisonmaloney1
    Options
    I'm eating between 1500-1800 calories daily. I am running about 3 miles daily. I don't understand why I am not losing weight in a consecutive basis and the predicted 2lbs a week?

It's going by super slow. Why am I not melting fat off my body if I'm clearly creating a 1000 calorie deficit and exercising at the same time?

BMR is about 2500. I weigh 216, 5'7 and exercise about 4-5 times a week.

My diary is public, please feel free to look into it.

you may be building muscle which weighs more than fat
  • CatMcCheesey
    Options
    One pound of muscle is equal in weight to one pound of fat.
  • maniesduchocolat
    maniesduchocolat Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would recommend decreasing your fats, which you have gone over the past couple of days. Also up your calories by about 500 cals
  • AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    When I was 216 (and I'm 5'7 also), my BMR was ~1750. I'm guessing 2500 is your TDEE not your BMR.

Weight loss isn't linear, it comes and goes, and as you weigh less, 2lbs a week is harder to achieve. 1lb is more realistic and honestly less stressful (in my opinion). Plus when I do get that rare 2 lb in a week, it feels much better. Once I've drilled into my head that this isn't a race, and as long as I'm losing, I'm doing something right, I worry less about what's happening with my body.

2 things:

Yes, 1 lb of muscle = 1 lb of fat but by volume, muscle does weigh more than fat. 1 cubic cm of muscle will weigh more than 1 cubic cm of fat. That's usually what people mean when they say muscle weighs more than fat.

I highly doubt that you're building muscle.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    When I was 216 (and I'm 5'7 also), my BMR was ~1750. I'm guessing 2500 is your TDEE not your BMR.

Weight loss isn't linear, it comes and goes, and as you weigh less, 2lbs a week is harder to achieve. 1lb is more realistic and honestly less stressful (in my opinion). Plus when I do get that rare 2 lb in a week, it feels much better. Once I've drilled into my head that this isn't a race, and as long as I'm losing, I'm doing something right, I worry less about what's happening with my body.

2 things:

Yes, 1 lb of muscle = 1 lb of fat but by volume, muscle does weigh more than fat. 1 cubic cm of muscle will weigh more than 1 cubic cm of fat. That's usually what people mean when they say muscle weighs more than fat.

I highly doubt that you're building muscle.

Right. My husbands BMR is about 2500 and he is over 300.