This is my story

Options
Hi everyone.

I have a bit of down time so I thought I'd share my story on here in the hope that it might inspire/motivate someone to keep at it. I don't usually use the forums but I have been using MFP for 615 days (today in fact!).

I started in August 2011, I was sitting at 83kg. The heaviest I have ever been. I was feeling disgusting, fat, lacking in confidence, nothing was going right and I was just plain unhappy. I have never been hugely over weight but as soon as I go past a certain point, I know something has to be done. My friend told me about MFP and on the 24th August 2011, something just clicked and I knew it was time.

I set a goal to lose 16kgs, I knew that I looked okay at 67kg as that was the weight I was on my wedding day so I aimed for that. My friend and I started off just walking a few times a week for maybe 45-60mins. All we did in the beginning was walk and watch our calories. I kept my calorie intake at about 1400-1500. The weight was coming off! Don't get me wrong, some days were hard but generally I stuck to the plan. I had to be prepared that the first couple of weeks would be hard, my friend warned me that I would be hungry so I knew to expect that. It helped knowing that it was only for a short time and then things would settle down.

After a couple of months, we started to step up the exercise adding in hills/steps on our walks and I did the stationary bike at home and my friend did the cross trainer. It took me four months to lose the 16kgs so it wasn't too long at all. It was a great start to 2012 as I reached my goal in the first week of January. It was then that my friend and I started running and adding in some Jillian Michaels workouts (30DS etc). I think the key is to gradually step up the exercise. Too much too soon and it can seem very daunting.

We went through a running stage for a while, running most days distances ranging from 5-16kms. We would usually run about 10kms which took us about an hour. Running caused me to shed another 4kgs and for a while there I was sitting at 63kgs. A loss of 20kgs. I thought I was looking pretty good but the truth is I was looking too thin and gaunt. Also the running was taking it's toll on my body, my hips were getting hammered and I was not enjoying it at all.

About a year ago, my friend and I decided to do our own exercise. I decided to join the gym, I have always been a gym lover and there was a sweet deal so I got up the courage and went in. It was the best decision I ever made. I have been working with a trainer for all that time, I only see him monthly but he has helped me so much. I cut down on the running and focused on strength training and the various cardio machines at the gym. I still do one outdoor run per week but it's usually only a 5km. It just gives me that "buzz" without wrecking my body.

Fast forward to now and I am sitting at around 65kg so my weight has crept up a couple of kg but I'm okay with that. My body seems to be where it wants to be. I have comfortably maintained for a year now. My calorie intake is about 1800-2000 calories give or take a bit. It seems to be working well. Maintenance is an interesting ride that's for sure, I have to tweak things every couple of months just to make sure I am staying on track. MFP has been a great tool for me, I will continue to log my food as it definitely keeps me on track and accountable. I have also met some amazing people on here and I am forming some wonderful friendships.

I just want to say that anyone can do this. As long as you are in the right mindset, you can achieve anything. I never thought that I would ever be in the 60's again. I never thought that I would be able to go shopping and not worry about the sizing. I have achieved so much in the past 18mths. I am happier, I am more confident, I am getting compliments.......it's amazing. I still struggle with some emotional issues/hangups but I am getting there.

I hope this can help someone, I just wanted to share this with you.
Hope you are having a good weekend x

Replies

• J3nnyV
    J3nnyV Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing and congratulations on a job well done!
  • soniabogonia
    soniabogonia Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your accomplishments!!! Thank you for sharing. :flowerforyou:
  • b3kah5
    b3kah5 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! It seems you've learned so much and thank you for spreading that knowledge!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Love your story Deb - you really just keep bringing it day by day - you are also a great example of being in maintenance.
    Give yourself a big pat on the back lady xxxx
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    cool story
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options

I hope this can help someone, I just wanted to share this with you.
    Hope you are having a good weekend x

Thanks for sharing. And congrats to you. You learned a lot during your time on here.
  • endorphinqueen
    Options
    Thanks everyone :flowerforyou:
  • mrsnecincy
    mrsnecincy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Great story. I'm down from 96.5KG to 83 at the moment and not sure about cals, goals, or how long it should take and what I'll maintain at. So very interesting to me.
  • endorphinqueen
    Options
    Hope I can be of help to you mrsnecincy x
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!