calorie intake

Options
Hi everyone I am new to this site, my name is Rachel. I have lost 22 pounds since January and only 5 pounds away from my goal, YAY! My question is this, I am nervous when I quit dieting I am going to have the Opra affect. I was doing weight watchers and doing a calorie app. I would eat my points but I was lucky if I ever hit 1200 calories. Even now I watch the fat in foods and am still not really hitting 1200cal. I don't really snack. Am I going to gain all my weight back when I stop dieting? ::happy:

Replies

• carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Once you hit your goal, continue to use this sight but change your settings to maintain. Then just enter what you eat and exercise and go from there. That's what I'm planning on doing.
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Once you hit your goal, continue to use this sight but change your settings to maintain. Then just enter what you eat and exercise and go from there. That's what I'm planning on doing.

This is what I do :)
  • stepheatscake
    stepheatscake Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Of course you will because DIETS never ever help you get rid of weight for good. Unless you're in the rare 3% of people who don't gain the weight back. It has to be a lifestyle change!

Don't be afraid to up your calories to 1500 etc… just eat healthy and try lifting some weights to help your metabolism etc. You'll feel great!
  • bantu2
    bantu2 Posts: 6
    Options
    If you are focusing on this being a diet...yes, you will gain the weight back.

If you are focusing on a life change in how you eat then no you won't gain the weight back.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    btw, it's not really clear what effect, if any, the fat content of a diet has on bodyfat or weight. "A calorie is a calorie" may turn out to be an oversimplification, but it's not bad as a rule of thumb. A lot of people lose and maintain low weight on high fat diets.
  • meendering
    Options
    Thanks everyone your coments really helped.:smile:
  • meendering
    Options
    I hope I am in the 3% then.
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    Also, don't just jump straight from deficit to maintenance. Take a week or two to add the calories back.
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    What exactly do you mean by when you quit dieting? Losing weight should not be about dieting, it is about changing your lifestyle. If you quit dieting you are most likely going to gain back the weight. If you continue to eat healthy and maintain a healthy lifestyle you won't. Congrats on being close to your goal weight and good luck.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I am in the SAME situation as you on calories. I have been maintaining for 9 months and find this harder than losing!!! It took me a while to get to calories I need to maintain. I use 1400 calories and add in my exercise calories. I continue to eat low fat, exercise etc. Here is what I do that seems to be working for me. I weigh myself every morning - a very controversial thing as you must be able to handle a 2-3 lbs overnight weight gain even when following the plan. I do this to stop myself from stuffing things into my mouth as I will have to face the scale in the morning. I log my food and exercise and read some of these posts to stay motivated. If i have a "binge" (which happens) I get right back on track the next day even if I feel like crap (usually a little too much wine!!). It takes 3-4 days to get back to pre-binge weight but... this is a plan for life. I continue to eat low fat, no dressing on salads, no sauce, grilled not fried. I really try to stay on plan and look forward to an occasion and really try to be in control.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Well done Rach for losing such a good amount of weight since you started in January :smile:

Try not to see it as a diet, because IMO, if you fall off the wagon and stop your `diet` you will pile those hard worked off lbs back on in no time with more besides?

Why not try to adjust what you are eating to maintain, start now while you still have those last 5 pesky lbs to go.

Change your goals on MFP to maybe 0.5lbs a week and slow it down a little so you know what it is going to take to keep it up long term xx
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I hope I am in the 3% then.

Don't hope for that - what that's saying is that you plan on going back to eating however you want when this diet's over and crossing your fingers that you don't gain weight. If you got fat by consuming a ton of pizza, ice cream, and soda, and when you finish losing weight you go back to eating a ton of the same junk, odds are very high that you're going to regain the weight. Instead of taking that chance and being a statistic, treat this as a lifestyle change. Find healthy meals you enjoy that you'll keep eating for the rest of your life. Eat ice cream, pizza, soda, or whatever else, but do it in moderation. Focus on getting proper nutrition and being healthy rather than just "dieting" - this process is about a lot more than losing weight.
  • meendering
    meendering Posts: 4
    Options
    I do believe my new eating habits can be a way of life. Thanks everyone.