Is my doctor crazy?

Options
124»

Replies

• Gwilson939
    Gwilson939 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I know it's an "evil fad diet", but I did Medifast. I was in the weight loss phase for about 9 months, started at 328 and went to 200. I am 6'4", 46 years old. I was eating a little higher than their recommendation of 800-1000 calories. I was usually hitting 1000-1100.

I didn't die. I didn't starve, or really even feel hungry. I was not cranky (more than usual), nor did I feel sick. My metabolism appears to be fine. I lost 3 to 3.5 pounds per week, approximately. As far as I know I did not lose significant muscle mass.

I did 8 weeks of transition, during which I lost down to 193 at one point. I've been in maintenance for 12 weeks and have not gained, beyond returning back up to my goal weight of around 200. I am maintaining at around 2100-2300 calories per day, which is technically lower than my TDEE. But I am not that concerned.

Take it for what it's worth. TDEE-20% isn't the only safe, reliable way to lose weight.

I am also doing Medifast via "Take Shape For Life" which means, I have a health coach. I started at approximately 280. So far, I've lost just under 60 lbs. I have another 80 or more to lose to reach goal. I did much better during the first few months, but I'm trying to get back on track and stay solid. While I was solid, I stayed approximately 1000 calories and 85-100 carbs per day. I was never hungry, in fact, I had to set a time to remind myself to eat.
    I'm considering becoming a Take Shape for Life health coach myself, as I have already 'walked the walk', at least part-way.
    I'm not giving up until I am at my goal.
    I am also under the care of my doctor, who is strongly involved in nutrition, so I have my bases covered. So far, I've been able to reduce all my 'weight related' meds, such as diabetes meds, cholesterol meds, and high blood pressure meds. My dosages have been reduced to such a low, that the next step is to take me off them completely. My doctor is so proud of me!!
    So what I'm saying is, do what works, and if your doctor suggests something, he/she probably has more to back up his or her suggestions than we do.
  • Jayne19099
    Jayne19099 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It might be a good idea to mention to yor doctor that you have doubts. They will probably explain to you the reasoning behind the plan. I hope you find the best weight losslan for you :)
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I was 270. I lost the first 50 just by going entirely fat free and walking. You can do it. Your life depends on it and you know it. Also your happiness and self esteem.
  • yenna42
    yenna42 Posts: 17
    Options
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I took 3 nutrtion classes in college and my DR told me that was more than he took. I would talk to a dietitian instead
  • tino124
    tino124 Posts: 25
    Options
    your doctor is insane. you're going to wreck your metabolism.

Up the calories and carbs, and up the exercise. THEN cut calories.
  • andrea464
    andrea464 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your input. I'm going to try it for a month or so and see how it goes. My doctor's hope is that with 1300 calories a day, plus at least 5 hours of cardio per week, plus resistance training, I can lost up to two pounds a month. This seems like a LOT of effort for such a small slow weight loss, but with PCOS that's how it goes. The good news is that as my weight gets lower, the hormonal imbalance also steadies which will hopefully make weight loss a little faster as I go along.

Search for PCOS in the success stories section- there are a LOT of us here with PCOS who face the same struggles. I bet you'll do more than 2lbs/month!
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    As you can see from all the responses, I would not ask people on MFP for advice about going against or with your doctor. You'll get as many different answers as there are responses.

People are different. Not all bodies respond the same way to different weight loss strategies, doubly so when you've got other medical issues. What works for one person might not work for another. Your doctor has training and knowledge. Unless there's a reason your doctor has given you to distrust him, unless he refuses to explain things to you or listen to your concerns, you should either listen to him and see what happens or seek the opinion of a different doctor. Don't seek medical advice here though.
  • beeboobear1
    Options
    I'm no doctor but you can do it and feel full. It's amazing what healthy fruits and veggies you can fill into 1300 calories. I helped my sister through her calorie shock by showing her the right foods make a world of difference. It's all about portion control. If you can do a whole foods or vegan diet you would get more food for even less calories.

Example: One of my meals was

4 oz. Baked Salmon
    Salad - 2 cups romaine lettuce chopped, 8 Cherry tomatos, 2 tbsp ranch dressing
    Stuffed Porabella Mushroom- 1 Large 6 oz. Cap stuffed with 2 tbsp kraft italian cheese
    Raw Broccoli - 1 cup
    Raw Cauliflour- 1 cup
    Water - 8 oz

Total Calories was 451, Carbs 29 , Fat 19, Protein 45, Sodium 751, and Sugar 10

That was my dinner at 6 pm that night. I snacked on that same raw broccoli, cauliflour and tomatoes that i didn't slice into my salad for the rest of the night before bed. Water is also very filling on a full stomach. If you choose your meals wisely you can have reasonable snacks. You can follow my food diary if you want. Mine is to help me maintain my weight but I often just can't eat the amount of calories needed to do it. I often fall short because I'm just not hungry after I eat until much later. I am a late night snacker if I do feel like snacking. I mostly graze through the day. My meals are broke up in my diary but I literally spread them out more. Example: Today I had breakfast smoothie. But I drank it and 3 waters over the course of an hour. Mostly because I was trying to clean kitchen and wait on my babies like the slave I am. lol. When I did finish the shake I made myself lunch which was a Peanut butter and miracle whip sandwich. I ate a light snack 2 hrs later of 2 cheese sticks and gatorade (we were at zoo it was only closed container beverage we had in fridge). I then ate some crackers and raw broccoli while I fixed dinner. Then I ate a few bites of meatloaf, 2 large stuffed mushrooms, 2 baked potaoes (not the skin) and spinach. yumm. I am so full. That is the biggest trick I'm beating into my husband's head...don't clean your plate just eat until your full not stuffed. Eat the rest later if you want but don't eat it just to eat.

Hope that helps. So in summary no he's not crazy.
  • yrollam1013
    yrollam1013 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It may be low calorie for now but 1300 will be a high calorie intake after surgery.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Your doctor may not be crazy...but I bet she doesn't know how MFP is set up. On the other hand, you can certainly try it her way for a few weeks and see howvit goes.
  • rachelklewis3
    rachelklewis3 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I saw my bariatrician yesterday, and she wants me to drop from 1500 to 1300 calories a day, with between 80 and 100 grams each of carbs and protein. And no adding exercise calories. I weigh 270 pounds, and that seems extremely low... waaaay below my TDEE.

You should be eating way below your TDEE. TDEE is maintenance level - it's what you eat to stay the way you are. Unless you don't trust your bariatrician (an expert in weight loss for people with extreme levels of weight to lose) and plan to fire her, you might want to follow orders at least for awhile to see if it works. Typically, extremely overweight people can handle huge deficits. The rules for bariatric patients are not necessarily the same as those for average people looking to cut weight. Don't get sucked in too much by the advice of MFPers. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

^ This! ^ and also, I have seen many people with access to Google think they know better than their Doc. I'm not saying that doctors know everything, but I personally believe a Physician who specializes in Medically Supervised Weight Loss at least deserves a chance.
  • weebuddy36
    weebuddy36 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What you need to take in calorie, protein and carb wise is very individual. So many factors affect are metabolism. I could not lose weight pre-op without reducing my calories to under 1500/day and keep my carbs to under 80. Your mileage may vary, of course. I agree that most doctors have little understanding about nutrition. Many were given little instruction when at med school. Either consult a nutritionist or give his advice a try. If you don't do well with it you can always make adjustments.
  • mikkey
    mikkey Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Her physician is a bariatrician, or a physician specialized in medical (as opposed to surgical) weight loss. As a physician, I agree with you, I don't know much about nutrition. However, in this case, the doctor has information that we do not have and I would try to stick to what she says, as this drastic diet may be needed to control high blood pressure or diabetes that is way out of control. To OP, please discuss your concerns with your physician and ask what her reasoning is!
  • jlmakela
    jlmakela Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I went to a weight loss doc (after all insurance pays for a doc, but not weight watchers) some time back and he put me on 1250 cal diet.
    So yeah, 1300 seems about right.

I'm a doc myself , but in a different specialty. So I checked before I did it and yeah, that's about right for weight loss.
    First couple days are hard, but it started to melt off, once I got in the groove.
    (Then I got pregnant and had to stop. But I never did put that weight back on, though I still have lots more to lose.)
  • PrimalSiren
    PrimalSiren Posts: 144
    Options
    The carbs and protein sound about right to me, but you can always add in healthy fat to reach a higher calorie goal. I lose weight and maintain much easier on 100g protein and stay under 100g carbs. I don't really listen to my doctor since she basically said if I keep eating the way I do (paleo) I'm going to die of a heart attack. This was right before my cholesterol #'s finally normalized, before the paleo diet I was told to go on meds for high cholesterol. Anytime a doctor tries to give me diet advice I just laugh.
  • bf1110
    bf1110 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i do think the calories is a little to low. You should be around 1500. But not adding in the exercise calories is a great thing to do and it shouldnt be to hard. I weigh the same amount and I have a food addiction problem. I see a diet Dr. and she said 1500 calories is a good place to be and the best way to lose the weight is stick to those calories and burn about 500 calories a day but not to add on calories because of exercise. Hope I help. Feel free to add me as friend!
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My experience is that most doctors have little to no training on metabolic resistance, even bariatric doctors who specialize in CUTTING YOUR DIGESTIVE SYSTEM UP, so all you can do is eat less. My endocrinologist gave me advice on my thyroid that made me GAIN 80lbs...so sorry if I am skeptical of doctors. Now I do things MY WAY.

I have metabolic issues (low thyroid, PCOS, and was pre-diabetic). But I still have managed to lose 40 lbs in last four months.

What has worked best for me is moving my body continuously for 90 minutes a day, which mean cardio 3x a week and strength training 3x a week.

I do follow the MFP program calorie recommendations. I shoot for 1450-1850 calories a day depending on my exercise and activity level but I am more concerned with balancing my macro-nutrients (protein 125 grams, fat 60 grams, and net carbs 100 grams), reducing grains to one serving a day, and not eating wheat more than a couple times a week, and reducing processed sugar WAY down to less than 20 grams most days, because this has been found to help PCOS and low thyroid issues.

I live on an 80/20 plan. 80 percent of what I eat is clean and healthy, 20 percent is what I WANT to eat and I can justify it because I am burning about 800-1000 calories a day in exercise. Some days I break all the rules. The next day I go to the gym work out for 90 minutes and I don't worry about it, because 80 percent of the time I follow the rules and I work out hard.

Exercise has been the number 1 thing that has helped me lose 40 lbs because I can eat what I enjoy and know that if I mess up I can go to the gym and burn off what I just ate. You have to move, not just reduce calories. Your body was designed to move. Get it moving and the metabolic resistance issues will be addressed.

All a low calorie diet will do is make you lose a few pounds, then plateau and your metabolic resistance issues will just be aggravated. Eat and Move...the weight will come off.