Sore throat - any ideas on what to eat/drink to help it?

Options
Hi guys, not really sure if this is in the right group, but I've had a really sore throat for the last four days, and it's only getting worse. Every time I swallow it feels like I'm swallowing knifes, usually I'd just keep eating ice cream to soothe it, but obviously I can't do that now I've taken a healthier approach on food. Does anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• Aoifedog
    Aoifedog Posts: 1
    Options
    Warm salt water rinses and slippery elm throat lozenges always help me!!! Hope you feel better soon;-)
  • cjeanthiele
    Options
    Warm drinks with lemon and a touch of honey may help... but please note there's some strep going around in my area. You may want to check with a doctor or clinic.
  • candace177
    Options
    warm green tea with honey and lemon. Lemon contains lots of vitamin c which helps reduce the bacterial that cause you a sore throat. Honey is a natural source of antibacterial also. Have them before bed to calm your sore throat. After that, rinse your mouth and gargle with warm salt water :) it washes away the mucus lining the throat Get well soon. God bless xoxo
  • babiigrrl0402
    Options
    Boil some ginger, skinless, then drink the water. It's yummy and it will help your throat.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I eat Vietnamese noodle soup when I get that type of illness (not spicy) with lots of lime. Although if your throat feels raw maybe hold off on the lime.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    warm green tea with honey and lemon. Lemon contains lots of vitamin c which helps to reduce the bacterial that cause you a sore throat. Honey is a natural source of antibacterial also. Have them before bed to calm your sore throat. After that, rinse your mouth with warm salt water :) Get well soon. God bless xoxo

Sounds good, but try not to have green tea before bed because you won't be able to sleep :)
  • candace177
    Options
    warm green tea with honey and lemon. Lemon contains lots of vitamin c which helps to reduce the bacterial that cause you a sore throat. Honey is a natural source of antibacterial also. Have them before bed to calm your sore throat. After that, rinse your mouth with warm salt water :) Get well soon. God bless xoxo

Sounds good, but try not to have green tea before bed because you won't be able to sleep :)

I agree, sorry i forgot to mention that part. so have it after dinner or at least 4 hours before bed
  • islandlifenc
    islandlifenc Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    All of the above are great. If you want to give your immmune system a boost, take garlic and pick up some Sambucol (it's a brand of elderberry syrup) at the local pharmacy or health food store.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    If it feels like you're swallowing knives, the problem is probably not with you.
  • Shes1CraftyMama
    Shes1CraftyMama Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, not really sure if this is in the right group, but I've had a really sore throat for the last four days, and it's only getting worse. Every time I swallow it feels like I'm swallowing knifes, usually I'd just keep eating ice cream to soothe it, but obviously I can't do that now I've taken a healthier approach on food. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Frozen gogurts are nice because you are getting that cold creamy without going overboard, tea with honey and lemon, warm soups with veggie or chicken broth bases, the broth it's self is nice. Also, if you don't or can't go to a doctors, get to a vitamin/health store where they sell different herbal supplements and pick up some golden seal and GSE (grapefruit seed extract). Put them in your tea with honey they are anti bacteria, anti fungal, and golden seal boosts your immune system to help fight whatever infection is going on. Take a look at your throat in a mirror with a flash light and make sure you do not see any white puss pockets on the sides of your throat. This is strep and needs to be treated by a doc! If not if there is little swelling and just red, then do what you can with cold and warm foods.
    Good luck!
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Does it feel like a machete or a pocket knife? I think from there I can determine the problem.
  • HappyAlex1
    Options
    Drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration. Because fever can increase fluid loss and painful swallowing can decrease fluid intake, measures must be taken to avoid dehydration. Choose high-quality fluids such as warm soup broth (which replaces both salt and water loss) and sugar-containing solutions (they help the body absorb the fluids more rapidly). Avoid caffeine because it can cause water loss. Sometimes cold beverages.
    Throat lozenges can sometimes provide temporary relief for a minor sore throat. Various formulations exist.Gargling with salt water is also sometimes helpful; people may try mixing table salt (about 1 – 2 teaspoons) with warm water (about 8 oz) and gargling.
    Or Betadine gargle is excellent.
    Over-the-counter (OTC) pain medications. OTC pain medications such as acetaminophen (Tylenol) and ibuprofen (Motrin or Advil) can be effective for reducing fever and providing pain control. Adequate pain control can also help with increasing fluid intake. I have found sucking on Vitamin C the chewable kind also helps.
    Get extra sleep. Adequate rest and sleep can promote a more rapid recovery.
    Herbal teas. Herbal teas containing ingredients such as licorice may also provide significant pain relief.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here. A good shot of whiskey can help numb the pain, too. Chewing peppermint gum between throat lozenges can help. If it doesn't go away soon you should go to the doctor. Strep is very contagious.

Hope you feel better.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Adult strength liquid Tylenol (acetaminophen). Though it probably has significant calories. It works for me every time.

If you don't want to go that route. The previous suggestions are great. Tea and honey. Soups (pick ones that aren't dairy based). Ice pops--make them with small amounts of 100% fruit juice and water (like 10% or less juice per pop).

And if you don't start to feel better soon see a doctor!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    If it's getting worse and worse and it's that bad, you might want to get a throat culture just to make sure it isn't strep. Strep is actually very serious if left untreated. Do you have a fever? Or, it could just be a really bad viral throat infection/tonsillitis. You would have had to be around other people (usually kids) that had it, to get strep. But, you can tell also by looking at your tonsils. Sorry, I don't mean to be annoying.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Gargle with an equal mix of cool water and hydrogen peroxide. Dont swallow it. Also, WHITE tea ( i swear by this) has proven antiviral and antibacterial properties. One study i read found that white tea killed 80% of strep bacteria within 10 minutes. Add a teaspoon or two of honey, which also has antiviral properties. Beginning school season, i drink a cup every night with honey. Ive been sick once, with a cold, in over 5 years. When that happened i increased my white tea and honey to 2-3 times a day and was better in 3-4 days. Its the truth!
    Consume more pre and probiotics (think yogurt, kefir and fermented foods like sauerkraut). Perhaps your gut flora is out of balance. Are you aware that a large portion of our immune system begins in our gut? If your gut bacteria is out of balance you are not able fight off infections as easily as you could. Take a multivitamin, too.

http://healthworkscollective.com/immunophen/73516/gut-flora-support-immune-system

http://www.whiteteaguide.com/whiteteahealthbenefits.htm

http://www.naturalnews.com/035493_raw_honey_health_benefits_antibacterial.html
  • pinksparklefairy
    pinksparklefairy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Good advice from Dawn - also try an apple cider vinegar rinse several times a day., I think that got rid of my last bad sore throat (felt like the start of strep) but of course you can never be sure.

Don't wait too long to go see the doctor though - sometimes antibiotics are unavoidable.
  • LizHR
    LizHR Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Try Activated Manuka Honey. You can eat it straight by the teaspoon (though it is a very strong flavour) or dissolve in a hot drink. PLus there are lozenges. Not sure if you can get them in US - maybe on internet - but see here for more info about why the honey works. You need a UMF rating of at least 10 ideally higher to get the anti-bacterial effects.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/04April/Pages/manuka-honey-mrsa-superbug-bacteria.aspx
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/01/120131205919.htm
    http://waikato.academia.edu/PeterMolan/Papers

And keep your fluids up. I get a similar thing plus a feeling of something being 'stuck' in my throat. Had tests and nothing is wrong so was told it is probably caused by very dry throat and sleeping with mouth open(!). So I have to keep throat moist and body hydrated.

This is assuming it is not any more serious like an infection which might need antibiotics.

Manuka honey is also really good for stomach and intestinal problems as well. And you can also use it on wounds (if rather sticky!)