Thoughts, opinions, ideas

Options
I just thought I'd write to seek out others thoughts and opinions. Part of my fitness journey is going well. I am partially in the mindset that I am motivated because I want to be healthy and feel good and live a long life. The other part of me just cannot let go of the mindset that I feel society and family has drilled into me for my 32 years on the planet that I am supposed to be thin and I am supposed to look a certain way. I am 5'2, I have muscle and I have curves, and I weigh 124 pounds currently. I have worked hard over the past four months and lost about 8 pounds. (I've constantly fluctuated my adult life but never really gone higher then 132). This time I've done really well. I have completely changed my eating habits and made sure to get some type of fitness on a daily basis.

I injured my foot four weeks ago and have been unable to do cardio as much as I would like and the past few weeks have really brought me down. I've sunk hard into that, "I must lose four pounds because I must weigh 120". I'm not sure why I must weigh 120. I see pictures of myself and my ab muscles are great, my legs are strong, but I still pick out these imaginary flaws because I'm not skinny, scrawny like models, actresses, etc. You would think by this age you would be over that kind of thinking.

I guess I just wanted to put this out there and get some feedback. I hope this doesn't come across whiny. Honestly just looking for some positive reinforcement . I get down on myself if I haven't done a hard core balls to the wall kind of workout. I make a little exercise seem like a negative, that I didn't do enough, when really it should be a positive.

Replies

• kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Being a curvy woman in todays society can be really hard. You just have to remember that models and actresses have unrealistic figures. The average woman isn't 5'9" and 120 pounds, and that's okay. There are plenty of people out there who think a curvy, voluptuous woman is beautiful. Keep in mind, Marilyn Monroe wore a size 12/14, and look at her! You just have to know that women come in all shapes and sizes and being skinny is not the end all, be all to being pretty. Personally I think curvy women are much prettier than super skinny women with straight stick bodies (and I think most men agree). You have to tell yourself that it's in your mind, and a model's figure is an unrealistic expectation. Be happy with the figure you have. Improve it if you want, sure, but know that your body is beautiful even with curves (especially with curves).
  • cogsblogs23
    Options
    Hmm - I'm currently almost 60 lbs heavier than you, and until I got pregnant, I maintained my weight in a small window around what you are now. I used to beat myself up over slight imperfections back then and I'm kicking myself now. What I would give to even be 60kg (132lbs). I think the problem is that everyone wants the unattainable. You're not going to have a supermodel's body without her genetic makeup. I think there needs to be a broader acceptance about what's the ideal body. I've come to appreciate the fact that supermodels aren't ideal, they're walking coathangers.
  • michellepero
    Options
    Thank you ladies, I really appreciate your thoughts. I suppose I just need to continue to remind myself that I eat to fuel my body and I workout to have the strength and energy to live life. Both of your points are great! Thanks again.
  • Rhonda21km
    Rhonda21km Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is really - where do you feel good about yourself. Don't focus on the opinions of others,
    what you read, see, or hear regarding what "should" or "should not' be for YOU.
    Only YOU know how to be your best self and as long as you are happy and feel great - you're right where you need to be.

I used to think that way as well - but time, experience, and years of feeling inadequate have made me understand that
    I am the one in control and only I get to say what's right for me.