Beginner workouts??

Options
So, I tried doing Insanity twice, and both times I had to stop due to an injury. Now that I know I'm not fit enough to try such an intense workout schedule, which workouts suit beginners??
I've been told that TurboFire is less intense, but I read it's nor for beginners as well.. Any help??

Replies

• SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I start at a gym

I use this site when I am not with a personal trainer http://printableworkouts.com/

I personally do cardo and weights

anyone can add me
  • Sara91Helal
    Sara91Helal Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I start at a gym

I use this site when I am not with a personal trainer http://printableworkouts.com/

I personally do cardo and weights

anyone can add me

Thank you! :) But I know myself, I won't commit to something I can adjust on my own.. I need a schedule to follow, 'cause I'm such a procrastinator!
  • Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    How about C25k? If you google it or search on MFP you'll find all the details. It starts off really gently and builds up over 9 weeks to 5k. I'm starting it today
  • stepnerd
    stepnerd Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    How about C25k? If you google it or search on MFP you'll find all the details. It starts off really gently and builds up over 9 weeks to 5k. I'm starting it today

This is great for beginners - I absolutely love this program!!!!
    I finished it a while ago after NEVER being a runner ever, and now I'm doing the 5 to 10k program, with a view of completing a marathon in 2014 - before I started C25K, I wouldn't have contemplated a lap of a running track, let alone a marathon.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Schedule time with a personal trainer so you won't procrastinate. A trainer will show you proper form for lifting weights so you can do it on your own after some practice, without fear of injury. As you get stronger, you increase the weight until your body is strong enough for things like Insanity. Be sure and do cardio too so you can build your endurance and strengthen your heart. Your trainer can help you with that as well. It takes a little time, so be patient with yourself. 2 months ago I couldn't do 10 minutes at a slow pace on the elliptical and now I can do 30 at a pretty fast pace.

If you want to do videos at home instead, Denise Austin is an 'oldie' but a good one that isn't too intense. You could also sign up for a Zumba class. It's basically just dancing but it burns the calories like nobody's business!
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Apparently 30 Day Shred is a great beginner workout. I think you should try different things. I did, before I found something that worked. I started with Power 90, then moved on to Insanity 3 months later when my endurance was alright.

C25K is definitely not for everyone. I can do Insanity without any problems, but even the first days of C25K were too hard for me - I am simply not a runner and even though I want to, I have to accept that I never will be.
  • Sara91Helal
    Options
    Apparently 30 Day Shred is a great beginner workout. I think you should try different things. I did, before I found something that worked. I started with Power 90, then moved on to Insanity 3 months later when my endurance was alright.

C25K is definitely not for everyone. I can do Insanity without any problems, but even the first days of C25K were too hard for me - I am simply not a runner and even though I want to, I have to accept that I never will be.

How about Turbo Jam??I read it suits beginners..
  • Sara91Helal
    Options
    Schedule time with a personal trainer so you won't procrastinate. A trainer will show you proper form for lifting weights so you can do it on your own after some practice, without fear of injury. As you get stronger, you increase the weight until your body is strong enough for things like Insanity. Be sure and do cardio too so you can build your endurance and strengthen your heart. Your trainer can help you with that as well. It takes a little time, so be patient with yourself. 2 months ago I couldn't do 10 minutes at a slow pace on the elliptical and now I can do 30 at a pretty fast pace.

If you want to do videos at home instead, Denise Austin is an 'oldie' but a good one that isn't too intense. You could also sign up for a Zumba class. It's basically just dancing but it burns the calories like nobody's business!

Thanks, but the the thing is, I have no time for a personal trainer..
  • Ladywindchaser
    Ladywindchaser Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you have an injury a pool is a great way to over come any physical limitations. The point of beginning is not to hurt yourself. The resistance of the water will work your entire body. Most exercises you do on land from cycling to running you can do in water with little to no stress on your joints.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'm starting C25K this coming week because of the recommendations here. I've researched the heck out of Turbo Jam as I'll need something after Jillian Michaels Body Revolution, and it looks great for beginners. Leslie Sansone's walking videos are very mild, too.
  • Sara91Helal
    Options
    Alright, I'll check Turbo Jam out and see what happens.. Thanks everybody for your suggestions! :)
  • Imadarkswan
    Imadarkswan Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You say you are a procrastinator and you do not have time.
    If you really want it, then STOP procrastinating and just do it.
    Find the time. Get up earlier in the morning or go to bed later. Or cut out an hour of TV or reading or whatever.

If you think the Turbo Jam is something you are interested in then by all means go for it!
    Just do something! Get up and move!

Check out nerdfitness.com - good beginner workout there. Something you can do at home on your own time.
  • Sara91Helal
    Options
    You say you are a procrastinator and you do not have time.
    If you really want it, then STOP procrastinating and just do it.
    Find the time. Get up earlier in the morning or go to bed later. Or cut out an hour of TV or reading or whatever.

If you think the Turbo Jam is something you are interested in then by all means go for it!
    Just do something! Get up and move!

Check out nerdfitness.com - good beginner workout there. Something you can do at home on your own time.

Thank you, but you know, a medical student's life is a mess. I want to get in shape, attend classes and study for exams, and I'm working as hard as I can!
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I work multiple jobs, so I understand the time crunch. There are many 20 and 30 minute DVD options out there. That's a big reason why I chose JMBR. All I need is half an hour daily, and it really does get results.