Theoretic question

Options
Let's assume your body requires 2000 calories to MAINTAIN it's weight.

Now, if I ate purely fruit & veg to the value of 2000 calories, theoretically I would maintain my weight.
What would happen if I ate LARD to the value of 2000 calories?

please spare any answers such as: "you'd throw up" - "you'd become sick" - "it would be awful for you"
I'm not an idiot, I know these things.

I'm asking purely out of biological interest, whether fatty calories would affect weight loss. (assuming your 2000kcal limit was met).

Replies

• trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i imagine you'd throw up and/or poop a lot and so not retain as much of the lard as you did the fruit/veg. You'd also probably have ****ty ****ty skin

**if you wanted to be spared answers you probably should have said that in your OP. You might not be an idiot but you've behaved like one tonight
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Well, I would be rather emaciated because I had the duodenal switch weight loss surgery....They bypassed 2/3rds of my intestines and as a result, I can only absorb 20% of the fat that I eat....so if I were to only eat lard, I would only absorb 20% of the calories and eventually wither away into nothing.

Fun times.....and fruit makes me gassy...and ain't no body likes a gassy DS'er. ;)
  • bulletfoss
    bulletfoss Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Exactly what I expected someone to say. Not interested, it's a theoretical question to determine whether fatty calories would have any difference on weight loss ALONE. Assuming the fatty calories were eaten to the value of 2000 of course.

Let me add some details to this question.

I am talking about an imaginary person with normal health and normal functioning digestive system.

Your answers are not helpful, sorry.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Exactly what I expected someone to say. Not interested, it's a theoretical question to determine whether fatty calories would have any difference on weight loss ALONE. Assuming the fatty calories were eaten to the value of 2000 of course.

I am talking about an imaginary person with normal health and normal functioning digestive system.

well i hope your 2000 cals of lard improves your attitude :laugh:
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

A normal person would not have a normal functioning system for very long if you ate sheer crap and nothing but crap - OR veggies and fruit and nothing but veggies and fruit. Her answer was valid.

Yes, you would still lose weight. The body reacts weirdly to not receiving proper nutrition (to which either diet of junk food or veggies alone would do). But you'd not be healthy for very long.
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    Well what do YOU think it's going to do?
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    well i hope your 2000 cals of lard improves your attitude :laugh:

:laugh:
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    Or, better yet....How about you TRY IT...and get back to us. Ya know...since you're so interested and all.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Let's assume your body requires 2000 calories to MAINTAIN it's weight.

Now, if I ate purely fruit & veg to the value of 2000 calories, theoretically I would maintain my weight.
    What would happen if I ate LARD to the value of 2000 calories?

please spare any answers such as: "you'd throw up" - "you'd become sick" - "it would be awful for you"
    I'm not an idiot, I know these things.

I'm asking purely out of biological interest, whether fatty calories would affect weight loss. (assuming your 2000kcal limit was met).

the point is that you CAN'T separate the "you'd get sick" from the "weight loss" discussion, because the whole act of becoming sick could cause you to lose weight, and that would be caused by the lack of nutrients in such a diet.

so... do not understand what you want out of this.

yes you would probably maintain your weight until the malnourishment kicked in. that what you're looking for?
  • bulletfoss
    Options
    "A normal person would not have a normal functioning system for very long"

That's common knowledge. You'd have to be one hell of a dumbass to not realise that.

Clearly I'm asking from a purely scientific, methodical and non-health perspective.

This is worse than yahoo answers, nobody cant just post and give me a straight forward calorific answer, clearly realising I'm well aware of health issues, as no-one would eat pure lard. Hence THEORETIC.

All I want to know........
    Would you maintain your weight? (assuming it could be consumed without illness)
    Would you lose weight?
    Would you put on weight?

I am trying to ascertain whether eating something with high-fat content would have the same effect on weight management than something with low fat content. - again assuming both foots had a 2000kal value.

please could I have some answers I am looking for?

and sorry to cause offence to anyone, but it's blatantly obvious that NOBODY is looking to eat lard as a diet.
    It seems that people answer to try and look clever, when really they don't help the OP at all.

If you don't have the answer, don't post! I'll go elsewhere, it's not a problem.
  • PixieAdele
    PixieAdele Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    At first i thought you would maintain no matter if you ate 2000 cals of lard or fruit of veg, but, I have no idea whether I'm right or not here but I've had a think and doesn't it depend on how much energy you get from 2000cals worth of lard compared to 2000cals from fruit and veg? So like, the quality of the cal? Saying that lard would have loads of energy leading me back to my first thought that you would maintain....

Sorry I'm rambling! This post probably didn't help at all lol
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

That's common knowledge. You'd have to be one hell of a dumbass to not realise that.

Clearly I'm asking from a purely scientific, methodical and non-health perspective.

This is worse than yahoo answers, nobody cant just post and give me a straight forward calorific answer, clearly realising I'm well aware of health issues, as no-one would eat pure lard. Hence THEORETIC.

Would you lose weight?
    Would you put on weight?

I am trying to ascertain whether eating something with high-fat content would have the same effect on weight management than something with low fat content. - again assuming both foots had a 2000kal value.

Oh my.

I believe your question has been answered. "Yes you would lose weight." "Yes you might maintain it." "Yes you might gain."

Like I said, bodies do strange things when nutrients are out of whack.

But go on and wait for whatever answer you'd like. I'm sure insulting the entirety of the board will make people want to hop right in here and solve whatever mystery you are deftly trying to puzzle out. People love that sort of thing.

You might do any number of those for a short time. But not for long. Thus, the answer would change - drastically - as your health does.

You want one part of the answer but not the other. Curious to know why.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Would you lose weight?
    Would you put on weight?

in my particular case, I changed my macro settings from 30% fat to 55% fat a couple months back with the same number of total calories. i dropped body fat, but not total weight. I assume if I hadn't been working out as well, I probably still would have dropped the body fat but not built muscle, so my total weight may have also dropped.

purely anecdotal, but macro composition can make a difference.
  • PixieAdele
    PixieAdele Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I thought it was an interesting question lol
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I think technically, based on the calories in calories out argument, unhealthy calories won't make you any fatter than healthy ones but I guess the impact would be on energy levels and food quantity as with high calorie foods you would be eating a much smaller portion and would also probably not feel energetic enough to exercise etc. so in effect you may would still loose more weight on a healthy calorie intake because of those side effects.

not a scientist though so this could be twaddle!! :-)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    It's the same as asking what happens if someone only consumes pure protein or just sugar...what's the point of your question? Let me guess fruit and veg is better than consuming pure lard. lol.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    It's the same as asking what happens if someone only consumes pure protein or just sugar...what's the point of your question? Let me guess fruit and veg is better than consuming pure lard. lol.

I actually thought he was going to launch into a gigantic insulin tirade and mention Gary Taubes.

Let's wait and see.

=)
  • QuHeCTiC24
    QuHeCTiC24 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    you would maintain your weight
  • bulletfoss
    Options
    adeletraynor, coachreddy, kirstyfairhear - thanks for your responses, much appreciated.

neandethin - the point of my question is: if you are consuming equal calories, would it matter where they came from - how would it effect weight management?

adeletraynor - I see your point, yes fat contains more energy, but remember we are only consuming 2000kals worth of energy, whether it's lard or fruit. Kals are the measurement of energy. So either way, it's still 2000.

Coachreddy - so although you increased your fat intake by a fraction, you actually dropped body fat while maintaining the same daily calorie intake. I guess the drop in body mass came from less protein?
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Both eating purely fruit and veg or purely lard would land you in hospital if you did it for prolonged preiods of time.