Losing weight on crutches..

Options
Well. I sprained my ankle. This is the 3rd time I've sprained the same ankle, so crutches are not foreign to me. However, I don't know how long I will be on these. I was training for a 5k, but I guess I have to put that off (though, I'm still doing the 5K). I know I can do upper body work outs, but I don't own dumbbells and can't exactly make it to the gym. So how can I continue to lose weight on these cursed things? Should I drop my calories lower? Or what?

**Also posted in another forum**

Replies

• MissyBrears
    MissyBrears Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am going to be in the same boat, as I am having ankle surgery on May the 15 I am interested to see what can be done on crutches.
  • K6li
    K6li Posts: 5
    Options
    How many calories do you eat a day? :) I used to gorge myself..I cant help eating food!Right?But im going on vacation and i NEED to get in shape.This websites helping me not eat as much.Now i eat about 1700 cal.But im aming for 1200.
  • K6li
    Options
    I wish you luck ;)
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you eat a day? :) I used to gorge myself..I cant help eating food!Right?But im going on vacation and i NEED to get in shape.This websites helping me not eat as much.Now i eat about 1700 cal.But im aming for 1200.
    MFP recommended I eat 1370. So I generally eat that. I need to eat a bit cleaner, though. That I'm sure of.
  • K6li
    Options
    Mpf recommended me 1200.Im doing better i think from mpf.Wish you luck!
  • K6li
    Options
    Are you doing a race?
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    most weight loss happens in the kitchen, not at the gym (or on a track or wherever we exercise) so you limited mobility should not hinder your efforts as long as you are eating right.

The question of lowering your calories will depend on how you came up with your calorie goal to begin with. If you use the MFP system of setting a goal based on sedentary behavior, and then eating back your exercise calories, then stay with that. (this is what i do) You obviously won't be logging the exercise you can't do, so you will have fewer calories to work with, but you don't need to change your MFP settings, if that makes sense.

If you have been using the TDEE method, which takes into consideration your average weekly exercise (so you don't log your exercise, its already counted), then you will need to adjust that based on your new level of (less) activity.

i hope that makes sense!

oh also, you might want to check out youtube for "chair exercises" there's tons of resources out there!
  • xMallie
    xMallie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    MFP recommends I eat close to 1700. I have mine set to 1500, but I rarely reach that. I sit around 800-1200. But like Elye said, you shouldn't worry about your ankle hindering you. It will stop you from going to the frigde too much! hahah joking.

But seriously, 1200 calories is quite low. Sometimes that much can slow a metabolism. Once a week, I WILL net my 1500 calories, simply to kickstart my metabolism. And I've lost 21kg doing that so....

Drink lots of water too :) It will help flush out toxins and things.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Walking on crutches is actually fantastic exercise so if you can get out and about and fire about on your crutches then you'll be getting a great workout.

I was stuck on crutches for a month recently and set my calories to "lose 0lb a week" at sedentary and managed to lose 1.2lb per week the whole time I was on them and eating at "maintenance".

ETA: I was still doing upper body weights and shadow boxing on a gym ball. Just next to no cardio or lower-body weights.