Shoulder pain after running

Options
I have been running for awhile now and recently started increasing my mileage. My shoulder has been sore the next day after a longer run, any idea what that's about? I stretch legs and arms before heading out and after. I was expecting my legs to be sore but not my shoulder! Thoughts?

Replies

• shellygressett
    shellygressett Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I had this same problem and after talking with my husband...who runs all of the time...and going running with him, he noticed that I tend to scrunch my shoulders forward. They should be pushed back and dropped down from your ears. After I changed this, I noticed a difference. Hope this helps!
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    it does sound like a posture issue - how are you carrying your shoulders / arms?
  • katrinas626
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I will have to think about my posture, never really considered it before. I was quite tense about increasing my distance so maybe that is effecting me too. Today was a rest day so we will see tomorrow.
  • mrsw8s
    mrsw8s Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I ran tons last year and did my first half a little over a year ago. While training for it, I found I had shoulder pain and kept getting headaches. I attributed it to poor posture and "clenching" my neck while running. I tried to focus on relaxing and it helped some but what helped most was yoga and learning to control my breathing to zen out:) Hope you figure it out and feel better soon.