Orthotics, weight loss, and running

Options
Maybe 5-6 years ago I got fitted for custom orthotics from a podiatrist because I have flat feet, I was overweight, and having problems with plantar fasciitis. These were the ones where they take a mold of your foot and then charge you a hefty fee of around $400 for the inserts. They are made of rigid plastic.

Recently, *after* having lost 89 pounds I've developed plantar fasciitis again (yes, I am still overweight, I know that's a factor) and I'm having a problem with my hip when I run. I was in seeing a nurse practitioner about something completely unrelated the other day and asked about the PF and the she said maybe I'd worn out my orthotics. This seems a bit strange to me seeing as they are rigid plastic.

So, these are my questions... Can orthotics wear out? Can having lost weight make them fit improperly? Might they cause pf and hip problems (yes, I'm going to see a different doctor in the next week or two, I'm just curious)? Am I better off running without them until I can get new ones made?

Replies

• SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I cant really help you much sorry, however I do know when I am slimmer I go down in a shoe size

I hope that helps in some small way :smile:

any one can add me
  • roadmapmaker
    roadmapmaker Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have had bouts of chronic plantar fasciitis. Always had to be careful. I had hard plastic orthotics made long ago and I actually broke them both while standing on a ladder. I went back to the same Doc and rcvd a psuedo cortisone shot and then he said he no longer suggests using the hard plastic (I weighed about 225 at the time) and prescribed Powerstep Pro Tech 3/4 length. I find them on Amazon at a reasonable cost. They have worked so far so you could give a pair a try. I accidently ordered the full length and I dont like them they make my shoes too tight on top. They last me about 6-7 months before I feel a twinge. Then I immediately buy a new set.

Meanwhile, the doc took an xray and spotted some kind of bone spur at the attachment towards the heel. It could be chronic issue and you might want to have that checked on. They dont go away.

Best of luck and congrats on your progress!

Oh additionally, the hip thing. I have a similar problem and my Physical Therapist suggested this: Lie down and find your hip bones. If one is higher than the other, take a broomstick and hold horizontally have the higher hip thigh go over the top of the stick and push down and the other push up on horizontal stick. Do this gently about 10 times whenever you start to have issues. It has helped me a lot. :drinker:
  • Mary1NYS
    Mary1NYS Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I got custom made orthotics about 2 1/2 years ago which pretty much healed my plantar fasciitis. They were made of a cork like material and I was told to replace them in about 2 years. I have been feeling some pain in my feet again and I think I definitely need to replace them.
  • Crosbinium
    Crosbinium Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    It is quite possible that your weight loss has changed your gait or foot position and your inserts are no longer optimal for you. I had the hard plastic ones for plantar fascitis as well. After losing some weight (after about a 40 lb loss) my shoe size changed and they no longer fit properly. When I went back to the DR I was fitted with a different type of insole that has a layer of foam of a moldable plastic piece - made by spenco. They were sub $100 and worked well.

Many times people with PF pronate when they walk. You may be ok running without IF you have been properly fitted for running shoes. Motion control shoes are key to preventing foot and knee pain for me!
  • carlaunderconstruction
    Options
    My partner has orthotics, and he gets fitted for new ones every couple of years. He has insurance that covers 100% of the cost of his orthotics, but he does notice a difference when he gets new ones, especially on his right side.
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I was just fitted for my first pair of orthodics and they were delayed because they didn't know what my weight was so they couldn't complete them so this leads me to believe that weight is a factor. Also, they do need to be replaced after several years (it depends on how active you are with them but they do wear out over time). Good luck!. Insurance doesn't cover mine and they are just under $400 so I feel your pain : )
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    youdontknowwhatyousaw Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I also have planar fascitis, when I went to the doctor about it he didn't recommend custom inserts. He said most people will get the same relief from a good pair of store bought insoles. I use Softsole inserts and they made a huge difference.