What's Stopping You?

Why do you think it's so hard for you to just use the many tools available out there and commit to change? What do you think is stopping you?

Replies

• amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    nothing is stopping me, 38 lbs down!
  • sportybrewerschick
    sportybrewerschick Posts: 170 Member
    I couldn't do anything for 3 months due to brain surgery. It is EXTREMELY hard for me to go out and do anything now. I have worked out a couple times but since my surgery, i've gained almost 45 pounds! :(
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    I couldn't do anything for 3 months due to brain surgery. It is EXTREMELY hard for me to go out and do anything now. I have worked out a couple times but since my surgery, i've gained almost 45 pounds! :(

Oh my goodness. My mom had brain surgery for a tumor back in 2007. She's doing amazing and so will you! My prayers and thoughts go out to you!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Why do you think it's so hard for you to just use the many tools available out there and commit to change? What do you think is stopping you?

If it was so easy and just a case of 'doing it' there would be no fat people!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    For me, it was excuses. I've found over time that if I really want it, I will learn the best way to make it happen, carve out the time to do it, and give myself new challenges on a regular basis. Also have learned to do what I can with what I've got as far as equipment and gym or no gym membership.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    That's a great quesiton. What's stopping me? I know calories count, I know I should eat cleaner/healthier, work out, do more weights, but somehow I cave to snacking at night or even binging and basically self sabotage. I guess what I need to do is to really dig deep to find out why I'm eating when I'm not hungry and really face those feelings head on.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Nothing now.

At one point I did not actually *believe* I could do it, being the special snowflake I thought I was. I ate my emotions. I thought I "deserved" to be able to eat whatever I wanted. When trying to lose weight, I required 100% adherence to whatever I thought was the way, and fell of the wagon hard when I (of course) was not able to sustain the unsustainable. I thought that I had to "feel" like following my plan every day, when in reality some days you just do it to do it, not because you are feeling it. I never had a solid plan for transitioning and monitoring maintenance.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    OP... be careful. I posted something with a similar theme yesterday and got flamed big time. It was like a piranha feeding frenzy.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Nothing now.

At one point I did not actually *believe* I could do it, being the special snowflake I thought I was. I ate my emotions. I thought I "deserved" to be able to eat whatever I wanted. When trying to lose weight, I required 100% adherence to whatever I thought was the way, and fell of the wagon hard when I (of course) was not able to sustain the unsustainable. I thought that I had to "feel" like following my plan every day, when in reality some days you just do it to do it, not because you are feeling it. I never had a solid plan for transitioning and monitoring maintenance.

"do it to do it" that's a good advice, esp. for when I don't "feel like" going to the gym. I just have to go that's just the way it is!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    OP... be careful. I posted something with a similar theme yesterday and got flamed big time. It was like a piranha feeding frenzy.

You called people whiners and babies and then furthered argued that eating disorders and other influences should not be an issue.

The OP has not done that. People will generally respond better to her post.

My excuse was similar to another poster's - I thought I deserved to eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. I think, perhaps, I thought what I did NOT deserve was a nice body. Self-love and patience has made this work this time.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member

Exactly! This is what clicked for me last month. I can't control some things in my life..but I can control what my body looks like. I decided to not waste time. Once I decided to change, it has been easy..17 pounds in a month and a half gone..and still going strong!
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    My excuse was similar to another poster's - I thought I deserved to eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. I think, perhaps, I thought what I did NOT deserve was a nice body. Self-love and patience has made this work this time.
    This is me, too.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    I couldn't do anything for 3 months due to brain surgery. It is EXTREMELY hard for me to go out and do anything now. I have worked out a couple times but since my surgery, I've gained almost 45 pounds! :(
    Good on you for staying connected to a fitness site after your surgery and I hope you have a full and speedy recovery.

This is a prime example of why some people can gain weight or get out shape...due to injury or illness, people are often to quick to judge others labeling them as lazy,complacent etc etc It is not our place to judge others or condemn them when we simply do not know what is happening in their lives and often project our shortcomings onto them.

I admire anybody who are working towards a healthier lifestyle but is a real shame when they start achieving their goals and start looking down their noses at people they don't perceive as putting in the same amount of effort they have.
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    not a daym thing!!! 149lbs gone forever!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    The only thing stopping you is the bull**** story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't do this.

Now that said, there are valid reasons why, once committing to making changes toward a healthier lifestyle, it is difficult to achieve your goal, brain surgery being one of them
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    I wanted to be fat more than I wanted to be fit and healthy.
  • MelsAuntie
    Actually I never said one word about eating disorders, and I said people were NOT babies. Reread the post.

To answer this; nothing is stopping me. I'm down at each weigh in, I've never gone over my calorie goals, I don't do "cheat days", and I'm seeing steady and consistent results.
  • nikkis01
    nikkis01 Posts: 45 Member
    I'm stopping me! I really am my own worst enemy! I have all the excuses, lack of motivation, eat the wrong things, feel sorry for myself, over eat, binge, don't exercise... at all - but that's ok!

Why is that ok? Because now I know I do all of these things about myself and I can plan around them - so I have one bad day, doesn't have to be two bad days... or a bad week. I'm honest with myself and I hold myself accountable and now I'm moving forward for the first time ever!

Doesn't matter how many tools I had at hand before, until I got my head in the right place I was never gonna be successful.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Beautiful horse MelsAuntie! Is that a palamino??
  • MelsAuntie
    No, he's a golden chestnut with a flaxen mane, Egyptian Arabian by breed.Thanks, I think he's beautiful too.