Minnesotans & Midwesterners

Options
Hey Minnesotans/ Midwesterners, what do you do for exercise? Winter JUST ended here in the twin cities so I'm excited to get outside and bike ride, but what's everyone else up to?

Replies

• JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Mainly running.

Once the weather gets even warmer in Nebraska, time to go for a dip in the pool. Can't wait!
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Down here in Red Wing I spent all winter lifting my butt off. I finally went for my first outdoor run of the year last week and rode m bicycle to the Y this morning with the munchkin trailer. I usually ride the bike to work all summer long.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Oops
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I lived in the Twin Cities for six years and Chicago for almost four years. I used to run, all winter, except for "those" days, of which there are relatively few in Chicago but many in Minnesota.
    I used to run up Summit Ave. in St. Paul, and down along the Mississippi, and around Lake of the Isles, Lake Calhoun, and Lake Harriett in Minneapolis.
    I used to run along the lakefront in Chicago, from Monroe Harbor all the way up to Montrose Ave., and even Foster Ave. sometimes. As I recall, the paths were kept pretty clear with plowing.
    I have done my share of running in Evanston, and in the forest preserves down in the southwestern suburbs.
    God, those runs in the cold -- bundled up in sweats and a hat -- were fun !
  • art3mislecter
    art3mislecter Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike a lot when it's warm out. I live in Northern Minnesota, and I have access to the Mesabi Trail (awesome bike route-- it's so pretty in the summer.) I also take the kids I babysit to the park a lot when it's warm out, and between playing tag with them , climbing on the jungle gym, and pushing the littlest one on the swings, I get a workout in that way without even really meaning to. In the winter, I use my ancient treadmill and skate.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    If I can get outdoors, I go for walks/jogs/runs/whatever. I fit in my home exercise via DDP Yoga.
    Living in northwest Ohio, I probably get less snow than falls in Minnesota. Cold sucks sometimes, but it's usually manageable.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I just began exercising last October, so I am just going to begin the "good" season for outdoors. I have been using an elliptical all winter. Increasing from 1/2 hour to about 1-1/4 hours now Monday through Friday at the gym at work. Saturdays and Sundays, I have been walking outside, even in the snow and cold, for 1-1/2 hours each day. Everyone here in Minnesota knows that we have had an extremely long winter this year, even for Minnesota, and more winter in the forecast later this week. In fact only the past few days have been nice here all winter long. Everyone is out taking advantage of the nice weather. My daughter & I just got back from a 5 mile walk along the Cannon River in Northfield.
  • katebowen37
    katebowen37 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas guys :) Just took my bike out today for the first ride of the season. Feels good to be out again!
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    If I can get outdoors, I go for walks/jogs/runs/whatever. I fit in my home exercise via DDP Yoga.
    Living in northwest Ohio, I probably get less snow than falls in Minnesota. Cold sucks sometimes, but it's usually manageable.

Sucks sometimes? Hahaha