How to stop bolting food?

Options
One of my biggest issues is eating food too fast. By the time I am done, it's like I just ran a race. The food is gone and I am surprised. But I do tend to eat distractedly, with a book or such. I guess I need to stop doing that. I KNOW I need to stop doing that!

What strategies have you come up with to stop eating without enjoying the food? Is it even a issue for you? Maybe it's just me...

Replies

• Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    Take a sip of water in between each bite, set your silverware down between each bite, don't put another bite in your mouth till the first one is chewed and swallowed. When I'm not scarfing, I try to remember to do those.
  • JumpingDog
    JumpingDog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I was pretty guilty of this. What I did was: eat tasty food. Eating tasty food made me want to savor it. Chew more, chewing more slows you down. Eat with other people and talk, this helps me too. I get busy talking and end up eating slower.
    I have never been a distracted eater, so I can't comment on that.
  • Khisalandra
    Khisalandra Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I feel really weird if I am eating without a book. The only time I don't pick up something to read when I have food is when I'm out at a restaurant or at someone else's house for dinner.

I think my main problem is the sensation of eating itself is pleasurable so I keep it going as fast as I can... but then the food runs out too soon and I'm left feeling unsatisfied - even if I'm full. I'm still working on ways to get around that. Smaller plates, smaller utensils so I'm forced to take less at a time. But it's almost physically painful to NOT have a book in my hands. I need to wean myself off of it somehow.
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    It is something I have to be aware of also. i go to the computer with my plate and that helps me because if I am playing a game I have to wait in between bites. Plus I have been sharing with my pups. So I stop to do that. they say to fix your plate , sit at a table with no distractions, smell your food, make it an enjoyable experience. Are they kidding? I love food and it is ALWAYS an enjoyable experience. LOL I find it better to either walk away between bites and do something also. Like forget my water, go get it etc. What ever it takes I guess. Good luck!
  • Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I hate fast food and have never truly enjoyed it because of that very reason, you eat it up so fast and then are hungry soon after. I don't know about you, but it runs right through my system. I really get to enjoy home cooked meals the best! I've learned to take my time while eating to enjoy and savor its taste. I stay fuller longer by doing this.
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I usually cut my food into really small bites so it takes me longer to eat it and I try to eat a few bites of everything instead of one portion of the meal at a time like I used to do.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    Chopsticks? :D

Also, I haven't actually had the nerve to do this yet because it would be too weird, but I can see how it would help to just stop eating while you're doing something else. I've often speculated that I would eat a lot less if I ate at a table instead of my desk, but I don't even have a table...
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I almost always read while eating, the only exception would be dinner with friends. I never thought about it before, but I'm usually the last to finish eating. Reading is more captivating my attention than food. Maybe that will work for you.
  • JustAGirl0916
    JustAGirl0916 Posts: 1,020
    Options
    This is hard...I am used to eating quickly too since my lunch time is not too long. I wish I knew what to say to help!
  • anarose13
    anarose13 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    eat with chopsticks. it forces you to slow down and concentrate on what your eating. you fill up faster cause it takes longer to eat.
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I ordered grilled mackerel at an asian restaurant. It had bones and I only had chopsticks to use. This definitely forced me to eat slowly =)
  • kikirichards
    kikirichards Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been using my kids cutlery, it's tiny!
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Huge problem for me. I have started taking as small bites as I can and chewing for as long as I can (even though that kind of grosses me out). I have used chopsticks too. Usually I get so tired and bored of eating this way I end up eating less.

I don't know why I always want to eat so fast, it's like I am subconsciously afraid someone is going to try to take my food away . . . I just need to constantly remind myself it will be there later if I want more!
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    When I read the title of this post, I thought initially that you were looking for ideas that might help you to stop your food from running away.
  • Linkdapink
    Linkdapink Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My Mum always said to me "the difference between fat people and thin people is that thin people enjoy their food" and it really made me think - how often do I eat something and not really even register that I've eaten it? I've just done it now... I've eaten a large meal all in the time it took for the adverts to finish on the TV (less than 5 minutes). Take your time to REALLY enjoy it. I know I need to take a leaf out of that book because if I think now, I feel bloated and gassy. I'm also lightheaded too, which is unusual.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about this the other day! My family and I went out for dinner to Red Robin, and it was, well, interesting I guess, to see how differently I ate in the midst of all the commotion and sensory input at the restaurant versus how I eat at home. I ate more and faster at that meal than I have in a long time! Plus, it was all finger food (minus the salad), which is so very different than my regular eating at home.

One of my favorite tricks is to PUT DOWN the FORK between bites! That little extra movement forces me to chew a little longer and I can focus and enjoy what's in my mouth for any given bite. And honestly, it makes me feel a little daintier (which is a rare feeling for a 5'4-220ish girl) when I'm constantly taking small bites and putting down my fork all the time. But I'm also very lucky that I'm a professional wife and mama and can take all the time I need to eat any given meal.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    "I don't know why I always want to eat so fast, it's like I am subconsciously afraid someone is going to try to take my food away . . . I just need to constantly remind myself it will be there later if I want more!"

I am sure that this is a huge part of my problem.

Jan
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow eater, but I read somewhere you should cut the bites up slightly smaller and put your fork down between bites. Good luck!
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My habit of eating quickly is a result of years working in the restaurant industry where you have 5 minutes to eat or you go without. I've slowed way down since I got in the habit of eating at the table with no tv, book, or other distraction other than my family. We still eat quickly, but 20 minutes is a vast improvement from 5. And having a toddler helps, though that's not a solution for everyone ;)
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. I think it started when my kids were small and had to rush to eat so I could feed and tend to them. I find if I am watching tv or distracted then I eat way too fast and don't feel satisfied. If I am doing sometng online then I have to put my fork down to type :wink: I have tried setting a timer for 20 minutes and told myself I couldn't finish the last bite until the time was up. I think I need to go back to that strategy. It takes 20 mins for your brain to tell you that you are full. If you scarf down a big meal in less time, you will feel stuffed when the 20 mins are up. I know that from experience many many times lol.