No longer dreaming .... doing

Options
Well, today I just realized that I'm approaching the early stages of when I was training for mountain climbing, over a decade ago. The last time I could begin to work at this level was when I was 250 pounds and I'm nearly 75 pounds heavier. The early stages consisted of 30 minute lifting sessions followed by 60 minute cardio sessions and once a week of trail time with a 60 pound pack. I never made it to my mountain 10 years ago - an emergency gall bladder surgery followed by a serious gangrene infection thwarted my dream. I became sad which spiraled into untreated clinical depression and I tossed in the towel; threw my hands up in surrender. The weight steadily came back on to my all time heaviest at 362 pounds.

Post work-out today, I went rummaging in my parent's attic and found my Scarpa plastic mountaineering boots from that time and simply wept tears of joy as I realized that I'm more fit now at 324 pounds than I was at 250. I sat down on the dusty floor as my eyes watered and I pictured myself wearing the boots, high above the trees, and trudging up a glacier, one foot at a time with an ice axe in my right hand - all the while taking in a scenery that words will not do justice to. Today the flame is re-lit, going from dreaming to doing. Reverently, I grabbed some paper towels and soap and water to clean 11 years of dust and grime off of my boots to restore some lustre to the red plastic.

I also found my old pack and smiled. She looks a bit weathered but she's an old and familiar, long-lost friend. So this Tuesday, I'm hitting the trail for an hour or so - boots, pack, water and all. I'm back and badder then ever! No more dreaming ... doing!

Replies

• mountaingirl2207
    Options
    That's really beautiful, Matt. You can do it. You will do it. I admire your determination and commitment. It won't be long before you're coming back from K2 with stories of how you made it to the top. Your years of broken dreams will just be a memory then and I'll be so proud to say "i knew you when" on that day. :happy:
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    This is why you are my friend, you are very inspiring and not a moany whiner. :laugh: Much love to you, I'm positive you can and will achieve everything you set your mind to X
  • Gongfu_1960
    Options
    Matt, you continue to inspire me (and probably every one else you meet.) You're a winner. Thank you!
  • daynation
    daynation Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! You can do it.

Bug hugs!
  • marlysgirl
    marlysgirl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Book the trip.
  • audra0831
    audra0831 Posts: 244
    Options
    Wow - so inspiring! I'm so glad we're buddies - your positive attittude is infectious!!!!!!!
  • smoootka
    smoootka Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Wow - so inspiring! I'm so glad we're buddies - your positive attittude is infectious!!!!!!!

Couldn't agree more, you inspire me every day!! You go, Matt, goooo!!!