Interesting Inquiry...

Options
So; food is fuel. That can't be denied. Nutrients, not calories - that's what I hear from my trainer all the time.

However, I usually consume most (50%+) of my calories at night; after I've hit the gym, worked a full day, etc.
By the time I hit the gym in the evening I've only consumed 100-500 calories; and I'm fine. I don't pass out, whatever.

So, when I come home, I feel I have to eat all these calories to meet a quota. (At LEAST 1200 a day. BARE MINUMUM.) Even though I don't have any more physical activity to need fuel for for the day.
So my question is; if I make it through the whole day without meeting that 1200 quota; do I need to make up those calories between 400 and 1200 for the day?

PS: I usually eat 1500-1600 a day.

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need to eat even if you don't have any activity planned for the rest of the day. Just breathing burns calories. Your body restores itself while you're asleep and you need nutrition to recover from everything that you've done.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    You're asking if it's okay to eat only 400 calories a day? No, it isn't. If you don't want to eat most of your calories in the evening, eat more during the earlier part of the day.

And 1200 isn't enough for most people. Go here and figure out whether you should be eating more: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0
  • missshadowlovely
    missshadowlovely Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You're asking if it's okay to eat only 400 calories a day? No, it isn't. If you don't want to eat most of your calories in the evening, eat more during the earlier part of the day.

And 1200 isn't enough for most people. Go here and figure out whether you should be eating more: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0

Haha I know that's not enough, but sometimes even if I eat my way up to 1200 I'm STUFFED because I didn't get the chance to eat all day and 900+ calories is a LOT of food. x_x
  • sexymuffintop
    Options

Haha I know that's not enough, but sometimes even if I eat my way up to 1200 I'm STUFFED because I didn't get the chance to eat all day and 900+ calories is a LOT of food. x_x

Easy, eat some of the food you used to eat before you joined MFP. If it made you put on weight, it will probably help you fill up that lacking calorie count. Just because you are trying to lose weight doesn't mean you can't eat what you want. Just less of it
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    If what you're doing now is working for you, continue it.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    You're not just fueling your workouts. One day of low calories is no big deal. But for an extended period of time, it can really do some damage. You don't want that.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    You know you're going to the gym, I don't get why you wouldn't eat more earlier in the day?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I feel the topic title is misleading. :angry:
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    I feel the topic title is misleading. :angry:

Funny, I said as much on my feed. Mis-advertising to entice us in.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I demand a refund. This inquiry wasn't interesting. It's the same "I get Soooooo stuffed off 800 calories per day post that we see here all the time.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    If you are asking about timing your meals, then yes it is ok to eat more calories at night if that is what you prefer.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Most of the energy you burn during a workout is going to be from glycogen stored in your muscles and glucose in your blood. Those are sugar and starch derivatives that your body breaks food down into during the digestion process. Since it takes hours to fully digest food (think 12-24 hours on average) you slowly replenish those glucose and glycogen energy stores. Think of the battery in your cell phone...fully charged but then you have to make a bunch of calls or do some web surfing on it and the battery quickly drains, so you plug it in and it takes a few hours to recharge. Sudden bust of activity, slow replenishment. Your workout is a sudden bust of activity, eating and sleeping at night are the body's way to slowly replenish the energy used during the workout.

And your body is burning energy day and night even when you're resting, which is why a minimum caloric intake is a good idea for everyone. If you want to drop below the 1200 calorie minimum that MFP somewhat arbitrarily set, I highly suggest consulting a doctor first. Probably need more than just your family general doctor too, see an endocrinologist.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You don't die when you go to bed. Your late night meals/calories are fueling you through the night and the day when you're still low on calories, they're why you don't pass out/get dizzy. it's not like midnight hits and your body resets to zero on the calorie scale....
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    if I make it through the whole day without meeting that 1200 quota; do I need to make up those calories between 400 and 1200 for the day?

Yes, and more.
  • missshadowlovely
    Options
    if I make it through the whole day without meeting that 1200 quota; do I need to make up those calories between 400 and 1200 for the day?

Yes, and more.

See, this was the kind of answer I was looking for.

Also:

>People who get mad over the titles or subjects of threads on a fitness app website.
    ISHYGGDT.

The whole point of asking questions is that this site is to help people learn more about how they can healthily lose weight; so clearly we're NOT all experts, and some of us have to ask questions to be better.
    I didn't realize that there were thread title nazis on this site. Good to know that I have to worry about people's opinions in a place where we're supposed to be going to support eachother! ;)

:) Thank you to those who actually answered, though.
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    >People who get mad over the titles or subjects of threads on a fitness app website.
    ISHYGGDT.

I had to google ISHYGGDT: I seriously hope you guys don't do this :laugh:
  • RyanneRose
    RyanneRose Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    ISHYGGDT.

I didn't even bother to do that. In my head it was just gibberish that my brain decided to pronounce "Ishy-giddit".
  • missshadowlovely
    Options
    ISHYGGDT.

I didn't even bother to do that. In my head it was just gibberish that my brain decided to pronounce "Ishy-giddit".

LOL that's how I pronounce it in my head too.
    When I'm using it around people who probably know what it means I say "I shiggy diggy do." And they understand.
    Yay internet slang.

Anyway, I thought I would add to the topic that I'm actually more just trying to find out whether or not it's hindering my weight loss that I'm consuming a TON of calories AFTER all my daily activity is over (aside from sedentary things like sleeping).
    I thought maybe that played into whether calories are stored as fat or not?
    I'm no nutrition expert; hence why I'm looking for answers.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    ISHYGGDT.

LOL that's how I pronounce it in my head too.
    When I'm using it around people who probably know what it means I say "I shiggy diggy do." And they understand.
    Yay internet slang.

Anyway, I thought I would add to the topic that I'm actually more just trying to find out whether or not it's hindering my weight loss that I'm consuming a TON of calories AFTER all my daily activity is over (aside from sedentary things like sleeping).
    I thought maybe that played into whether calories are stored as fat or not?
    I'm no nutrition expert; hence why I'm looking for answers.

Nope, it doesn't matter when you eat, your body doesn't stop burning calories whilst at rest. The eating at a certain time thing is just a myth.
  • ronnyharry
    Options
    maybe you balance your day out, have a good breakfast and space out your remaining calories sensibly