Going on a Cruise... Tips to stay on track??

Options
I am wondering if there is anyone out there that has been able to maintain while on a cruise ship? My husband and I are going to the Bahamas in 2 weeks and I don't want to kill my progress. We are already planning on being active in the mornings and eating healthy breakfasts. Just wondering if there are any other peeps who have had some success? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    My husband and I went on a cruise and before the cruise I was very thin. Afterwards when we got home my clothes were very tight. I recommend NOT drinking so much. We really over did it on the booze. We too went to the Bahamas. Loved it!! Avoid that midnight buffet. For me it wasn't worth the long line and wait to get in there to eat. Yes the set up is beautiful and the ice sculptures are amazing but the food was not worth it. stay away from the bahama mommas lol :drinker:
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing - you don't have to eat ALL of everything! Have a taste of this and that, still fill up on you veggies. Even at the "seated" more formal dinners, you can ask for what you want. It is too easy to get caught up in cleaning your plate and going to each meal, snack, tea, ice cream social, etc. Stay active like you planned and have a great time (even if you over-indulge a bit). :smile:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    last i checked, you are still responsible for what you serve yourself at those buffets, and how you eat.

these places also have a gym. get to them early though, because a lot of people that never work out at home decide that they're going to hit the gym on a cruise.

i am a former merchant marine, and the thought of elevators on a ship freak me out. take the stairs for a little extra cardio burn.

but with all that said, enjoy your vacation!!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    If you're on the Norwegian cruise line, the food is wonderful and amazing, but there are lower cal and even vegetarian choices. If you go to the midnight chocolate bazaar, try three things and only three. Edit, edit, edit. Swim and snorkel as much as possible. Use the gym on board. I've been on six cruises and loved it, but now that I'm retired that won't happen again ( no $$). Enjoy. Wish I was going with you.
  • lmnconn
    lmnconn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've been on 2 cruises and really haven't found the food to be that great. The desserts always look fabulous, but always seem bland. Just keep active and you'll do fine. It is a vacation. Get back on the wagon when you get back. Enjoy!
  • easilychanged
    easilychanged Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I went on one years ago and remember the different buffet tables...there was one area with nothing but fruit. Pineapple, strawberries, mangos, etc. Just make wise choices.
  • ginamarina0622
    ginamarina0622 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You can get a lot of exercise in on a cruise. They have exercise rooms and you can do a lot of walking on the ship. The food is overrated, in my opinion, a lot of ordinary stuff. They do offer a lot of fruit and veggie choices though. I would suggest trying the local food when you are in port, you can find some excellent, tasty choices. The drinking part is where I get into trouble, it's hard not to over-do on the cocktails when you're in vacation mode. I would suggest just making sure you get some exercise in every day and don't stress about it. Have a great time!!
  • mlhjjm
    mlhjjm Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My husband and I went on a cruise and before the cruise I was very thin. Afterwards when we got home my clothes were very tight. I recommend NOT drinking so much. We really over did it on the booze. We too went to the Bahamas. Loved it!! Avoid that midnight buffet. For me it wasn't worth the long line and wait to get in there to eat. Yes the set up is beautiful and the ice sculptures are amazing but the food was not worth it. stay away from the bahama mommas lol :drinker:

I totally agree about the midnight buffet. When we went on our honeymoon, we decided room service was better. :) Thanks for the tip.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    It's very easy to stay on track! Take your food log with you and log before you eat. This way, you are honest with yourself. I know it sounds like a lot of work but you'll really be proud of your "skill" and will power. You and your husband have an excellent plan and planning is about 1/3 of battle.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Even on the best cruises, the food really isnt so great that you cant control youself.
    We took a Royal Carribean cruise, and jogged in the morning around the ship.
  • Springfield_Rocks
    Options
    there is no hope. you should have thought of that before you booked.

:wink:
  • rwhawkes
    rwhawkes Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've been on one cruise and the food was fabulous and abundant. If I were to go on another cruise, and I hope to one day, I will workout hard before, workout hard after, and enjoy the fabulous, abundant food with no guilt. Doesn't hurt to stay active doing whatever's available on the ship. My wife and I went dancing every night which might have offset a teeny bit, but clothes were tight afterward.
  • lqmustang
    lqmustang Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    ^this!

This is your vacation. Enjoy it. Make smart choices at the buffets but eat what you want and enjoy the fancy dinners without any guilt. I've been on 3 cruises so far. I stay so active both on and off the boat that I'm burning up a lot of those calories I'm eating as I go.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Did a 7 day in 2010 and gained 3 lb. 14 day in 2012 and lost 2 lb and have another booked this year for 10 days, I expect to stay the same. Walk the promenade, when he takes a nap, walk. Don't drink the fruity drinks always mix something with diet if you plan to drink or drink wine and just eat a little of everything. Never clear your plate.
    You will do fine, just be aware of the essentials...sauces, sugars and fruity drinks.