Belly Dancing...thoughts?

Options
So, I've been looking for an exercise to keep my attention. I eventually get bored and just stop.
Has anyone tried belly dancing?

Replies

• mstyer2790
    mstyer2790 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    No, but I've been thinking about it too...
  • VegKate
    VegKate Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I used to take belly dancing classes. It's really fun and it's a great ab workout! It makes you sweat, too. In fact, I'm not sure why I don't do it anymore...
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I've taken several belly dancing classes and I enjoy them! On days I go I treat them as a "rest" day because it's low impact and not something I think of as workout. My own little mental ting. Overall it's a great way to get active and moving.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I have done it when I was at my heaviest. It was good fun, and I'd much rather do a dance class than an exercise class! I found it was worth buying one of those scarfs with tin coins on it to put round your hips. The jingle of the coins made me feel I was getting somewhere! It does seem to use your core muscles in a quite an unusual way and I didn't find it slightly sore/uncomfortable at times, not being used to the moves. I was surprised how much strength was involved.
  • zombiefilet
    Options
    No, but I've been thinking about it too...

Awesome, I found a beginner video on youtube.
    I'm going to give it a try and I'll let you know!
  • ssoonniiaa_
    ssoonniiaa_ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've taken classes before and I loved it! Belly dancing is awesome for your core! The moves are harder than they look and you will be surprised at how sore you are afterwards. Don't get discouraged if you don't get the moves right away, it takes a lot of practice but it's fun, fun fun! Get yourself one of those belts with coins and buy a yard of sheer fabric (at least that's what my teacher had us do) and do it! You won't regret it! :smile:
  • TheRealAutumnShiranui
    Options
    I LOVE it. I just started last night and I only did it for 23 minutes and I was POOPED. Really good work out, and very fun! Definitely give it a try!
  • staceybradleywells
    staceybradleywells Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Woo Hoo Belly Dancing. I've been Belly Dancing for about three years now. I love it. I also do Bollywood dancing. Just finished a Sword Worshop yesterday (where one balances a sword on their head, hip, shoulder, chin etc.) Lots of floor work had a great arm work out. Due to poor diet I've gained some weight that I want to take off, and belly dancing will help me that's for sure.
  • NiceSpydr
    NiceSpydr Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have been Belly Dancing for years. (I haven't been doing it as much lately after our teacher had a baby, and my work had me out of town more.) My friend and I have recently re-started and I'm really excited. :)

It's a great core workout, and there are some great ways to increase your workout at home. Once you get used to the basic moves, increase some of the difficulty by isolating your movements more. While you're working on your core, hold light weights above your head and at shoulder height. You can also practice on your tip toes, which will help with level changes as you advance in skill.

I really like the the DVD "Tribal Fusion - Yoga Isolations & Drills for Bellydance" with Rachel Brice. It includes good stretches. The dancing content is better than most basic DVDs, which I found to get boring after a short while. It also includes performance material, which I liked watching to motivate myself to be a better dancer (and thus practice more often).

Even though it's a great workout, it may not be complete for strength, cardio and flexibility. It's a fun routine that includes a little bit of everything. I found it a good way to keep myself motivated when I'm really not in the mood.
  • staceybradleywells
    Options
    I love Rachel Brice I don't own any of her DVD's.
  • staceybradleywells
    Options
    I have been Belly Dancing for years. (I haven't been doing it as much lately after our teacher had a baby, and my work had me out of town more.) My friend and I have recently re-started and I'm really excited. :)

It's a great core workout, and there are some great ways to increase your workout at home. Once you get used to the basic moves, increase some of the difficulty by isolating your movements more. While you're working on your core, hold light weights above your head and at shoulder height. You can also practice on your tip toes, which will help with level changes as you advance in skill.

I really like the the DVD "Tribal Fusion - Yoga Isolations & Drills for Bellydance" with Rachel Brice. It includes good stretches. The dancing content is better than most basic DVDs, which I found to get boring after a short while. It also includes performance material, which I liked watching to motivate myself to be a better dancer (and thus practice more often).

Even though it's a great workout, it may not be complete for strength, cardio and flexibility. It's a fun routine that includes a little bit of everything. I found it a good way to keep myself motivated when I'm really not in the mood.

Forgot to ask what style do you do?
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    no but it sounds fun!
  • nygrl4evr
    nygrl4evr Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Haven't yet but would love to! Sounds like so much fun!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Forgot to ask what style do you do?

I go with Truffle Shuffle style, pioneered by Lawrence "Chunk" Cohen
  • CindyRip
    CindyRip Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I just started using a DVD this last week. It is something I have always wanted to try. I'm really excited to start on this new adventure. There was a group on here in the last 5 months but it was archived. Have fun as you learn or reconnect with this fun exercise.
  • DenialTwist33
    Options
    I squealed a little when i found this thread.

Honestly, belly dancing is everything to me. I love it so much and it's gotten me through so much.

This is my third year and I've just started a new style, as I moved towns to study, but continue to dance with my old group.

I started with Dark Fusion belly dance (so, if you're curious, youtube Ariellah or Sashi Ascend Tribal Dance) and now i do ATS (Youtube, Rachel Brice or Fat Chance Bellydance)

If you're curious,definitely try it out. Its so great.