Too broke for this.

I really hate how expensive everything weight loss related is. I mean common sense tells you that eating less would be cheaper right? Lol I follow a weight loss vlogger and she did a vlog about all the supplements she takes (and she does Shakeology- she's a beach body coach) It seemed CRAZY how much she must spend a month! I am a Nursing Student and I know must of that stuff you don't really need. Dr's say it just give you really expensive pee lol. Plus anything you see online about getting weightloss advice is really just ad for some ridiculously expensive at home work out DVD. I need some real life, broke *kitten* girl at home weight loss advice. ok rant over :)

Replies

• Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Nerdfitness.com
    Niashanks.com
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Bodyrock.tv

Common sense

ETA: don't follow a BeachBody Coach for advice... (I love BB but not a fan of the 200,000 coaches)
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Fitnessblender.com

google: Crossfit WOD
  • skinnygrlerica
    skinnygrlerica Posts: 41 Member
    Id try following the food pyramid or Bodyforlife.com , minus their shakes. Its basically 6 small meals a day. Good luck!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Nerdfitness.com
    Niashanks.com

I second this. They have some paid products, but they both have some great free programs. Nerdfitness has videos to show the movements too, it's not just a description (I'm less familiar with niashanks). BTW - if there are DVD's that genuinely interest you, there are a ton of free videos on youtube)

I haven't paid for any gym memberships, fancy dvds, supplements, or anything else like that. This process of getting healthier does NOT have to be expensive.
  • KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    You're right about all that crap not being stuff you actually need to lose weight. My fiance and I are both grad students, he works full time and I'm an intern we're scraping by. Lots of produce from farmers market (buying only what's in season will save a ton of money) - making our own salads instead of buying prepackaged salads. Dried beans and rice are the best thing that ever existed : cheap and you can make a million different things with them. We eat lots of eggs, sweet potatos etc... We also try to grow as much of our own food as possible; tomatoes, peppers, herbs, blueberries, lettuce. Slowly invest in more spices and learn to cook. People who say 'eating bad is cheaper than eating healthy' are just making excuses.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    30Day Shred and other workout videos on youtube
    Empty milk gallons for weights (until you can save for a set of dumbbells*)
    Go for walks/jogs/runs outside if you can

*Walmart has a set by gold's gym for $34.77 that contains...2- 3lb, 2- 5lb, & 2-8lb weights plus exercise chart & DVD

To get a better estimate of calorie burns a HRM with a chest strap is a good idea. I got mine for $26 on amazon.com with free shipping (Pyle Sports brand).

As for food, I just eat smaller portions of stuff I was eating already.
  • primal7
    primal7 Posts: 151 Member
    Hi

I just saw this and will be following. They are going to attempt to do Paleo for around $20 per week.
    http://www.koacrossfit.com/15/post/2013/04/the-paleo-experiment.html
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Shakeology and Beachbody are pyramid schemes that involve serious monetary investment to sustain them. Generally, if you follow a basic calories in vs. calories out method and incorporate exercise you should see weight loss. You don't really need to invest loads of money to make it work. For me a basic gym membership (I use Planet Fitness - the cheapest plans are $10/month), taking time to personally educate myself about nutrition/ exercise/ my body and having a supportive friends list have really helped me achieve my goals. Furthermore - there are great resources on MFP that you can use (for free) to help create goals, set goals and achieve goals. Goodluck!
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    You're right about all that crap not being stuff you actually need to lose weight. My fiance and I are both grad students, he works full time and I'm an intern we're scraping by. Lots of produce from farmers market (buying only what's in season will save a ton of money) - making our own salads instead of buying prepackaged salads. Dried beans and rice are the best thing that ever existed : cheap and you can make a million different things with them. We eat lots of eggs, sweet potatos etc... We also try to grow as much of our own food as possible; tomatoes, peppers, herbs, blueberries, lettuce. Slowly invest in more spices and learn to cook. People who say 'eating bad is cheaper than eating healthy' are just making excuses.
    I agree with this 100%!
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    I found videos like Jillian Michaels on Youtube, which is free :)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Nerdfitness.com
    Niashanks.com

I second this. They have some paid products, but they both have some great free programs. Nerdfitness has videos to show the movements too, it's not just a description (I'm less familiar with niashanks). BTW - if there are DVD's that genuinely interest you, there are a ton of free videos on youtube)

I haven't paid for any gym memberships, fancy dvds, supplements, or anything else like that. This process of getting healthier does NOT have to be expensive.

Plus, you can borrow workout dvds from the library.

And the open road is free - get out there and walk, run, or bike.
  • Nepion
    Nepion Posts: 11 Member
    To the library!

My local library has a *ton* of fitness DVD's all for the low low cost of free. I'm also pretty spoiled in that it has a Zumba class twice a week. Add that to all the cookbooks (healthy, regular, ethnic), fitness books, ect... ect... It's a great resource. My favorite part? If they don't have something, I can have *them* buy it and I'll just check it out.
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Eating healthy DOESN'T have to break the bank! :bigsmile: For me, it comes down to planning my menus for three or four days and buying ONLY what I need for them. You need only 1 chicken breast? Get ONE. Most grocery store have a fresh meat counter that can wrap up ONE breast, steak, or whatever for you. If they are on sale, buy two or three and freeze what you don't need that week. Concentrate your menus on what is on sale - fresh & frozen fruits & veggies (avoid cans if you can due to sodium content), brown rice and other whole grains, you name it - if it's on sale, plan your menu around it. If you have the extra money that week, buy a LITTLE extra (a bag or box) of anything that has a great sale. REMEMBER to plan ahead too for your FRESH fruits & veggies that don't keep well for long as you may have to stop again a little later in the week to get more - let the store take up their space to store them and you will get fresher fruits and veggies for later in your weeks thereby tossing out less. Dried beans and legumes do well to cut back on meat usage - cook up a larger batch on a day off and have them ready for you in the fridge when you want to cook. Measuring and weighing everything as you cook it helps not only in logging but in making sure the food goes as far as it can go you for as long as it can go you.

Hope this helps :bigsmile:
  • juliebmomof3
    juliebmomof3 Posts: 115 Member
    I got really annoyed when someone tried to sell me shakeology and COULD NOT tell me what was in it. I told them I make my own smoothies using fresh fruits and veggies and greek yogurt and I can actually tell you what is in it.I just checked out bodyrock.tv and already found cool workouts I can do. I like the idea of filling up a duffle bag to do bicep curls and mik jugs and stuff like that, I want ti lift but I had to cancel my gym membership
  • lynda3y9
    lynda3y9 Posts: 62 Member
    bump
  • Deanna149
    Deanna149 Posts: 147 Member
    single mom on a set income here - i watch my calorie intake and walk outside, and over the winter looked up workout vidoes on youtube, also soup cans work as light weights and bought a resistance band for less then 10 bucks, i dont buy "diet foods" just read labels and chose the better thats within budget, (for 2 people i spend less than 200 a month on food!) and we always have enough for the month. i buy once a month, make extra brown rice or wild rice and meats and put in the fridge to make meals out of for a few days. living healthy on a budget is very doable, get creative with what you have and before you know it you will realize it is actually cheaper! (we eat less and buy more foods we have to prepare / cook, fresh / frozen veggies, fruits, meats, and whole grains, brown/wild rice!) Good luck!
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    If you have time/space (being a student myself, I know time is more the issue than space) some inexpesive favorite veggie seeds, a little bit of elbow grease to get the ground turned over for them, and a little work about every other day to keep said ground clear of weeds while the veggies take off with some water you bring makes for a nice workout (gardening - lifting heavy things, stretching from bending over to weed, heavy pulling on things - dig that hoe and/or garden fork into the ground and PULL!) a break on the grocery bill (most leafy veggies are ready to start picking on within a couple of weeks once they sprout above ground, just don't pick them all at once.. more stretching to bend over and pick), and a yummy addition to the table as the season progresses.

Check with your school gym, and see if they have any fliers for at-home workouts, or dorm room workouts. I had one for the longest time from ours, and loved using it when I couldn't make the time to actually hit the gym.

USE said school gym to help increase your activity time.

Buy in bulk - it sounds strange, and it costs a little more up front, but if you buy in bulk and break it down yourself to smaller packages it actually costs less. I've been known to feed 4 voracious adult appetites for a week on a single 25 pound brisket. I'd bring it home, cut it into steaks, leave a large section of the thick end for a roast, and the thinner end that was too thin for steaks, I'd grind down into hamburger after trimming most of the fat off. Wasn't so good as BURGER meat, but it worked well when used as an ingredient in other things - like mac and cheese with hamburger.

Bulk chicken is also cheaper than just getting one or two thighs/breasts at a time. Usually around here the big 10 pound bags run around $10 or so. Maybe as high as $15.

Buy SEASONAL veggies for the ones you don't grow. It adds variety to your menu, and seasonal always costs less because they aren't shipped as far (not to mention the grower's cost to get them ready for market is less - no green house costs to pay). You might also want to check for a farmer's market. And, before you go crazy there - PRICE SHOP YOUR GROCERY STORES! I emphasize that heavily, because the farmer's market locally uses the grocery store's prices as a BOTTOM price! If you are getting early season veggies, it could save you a bundle. But, once season starts, double check your prices to make sure you are getting the best one. The farmer's market will have locally grown veggies and fruits that are picked ripe the day OF the market, where the stores have to pick green and ripen while being shipped. So, this will be a taste preference once the season is in full swing.

And to go along with buying in bulk - buy the ingredients. Again, it sounds counter productive, but buying the ingredients and making it yourself can often save you a few extra pennies to be used elsewhere. All you loose here is time for studies, but the time you spend in the kitchen can be used for family time. Mom's recently started doing this, and has seen our grocery bill drop about $75 over the course of a month while feeding 3 of us.

Hope this helps!
  • fluffychicken7
    fluffychicken7 Posts: 77 Member
    Plus Summer is coming and it looks like you live in a major urban center. look for free fitness events sponsored by large corporations, or park conservancies. There is always something to do from early mornings, lunch times or early end of work days. Good luck with everything.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    bump
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member

I agree with this. Dried beans & rice especially! I've been buying those bags of "mini" sweet potatoes at TJ's as an awesome replacement for friggin' Oreida fries! I'm not all there yet, but when you save your money for the quality good stuff (like fat free cottage cheese or casein), then it evens out significantly. I currently like my home made fried rice and beans better than carry out; less sodium and healthier fats!
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    I've always found eating simple is the easiest and cheapest. chicken/frozen veges/potatoes/rice/frozen fish /canned tuna. apples. carrots. None of which are expensive..
    running/walking/swimming/exercise dvds
    I see these shows where they put on the table what some junk food addict eats and I just can't figure out how they can afford to eat that much!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Sorry, didn't read the whole thread, so i apologise if someone's already said this:

It should actually be cheaper to lose weight than when you weren't. If you just reduce the portions of what you're eating so you net less than you burn in a day then you'll lose weight. If you eat smaller portions, then your ingredients/meals will go further.

i.e. just have half the lasagne and reheat the rest for tomorrows meal.

Of course this is only if you don't subscribe to the theory that magical pixie juice is key to losing weight. Eat less, move more. Rinse, repeat.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    I found I only spend slightly more on groceries than I did before, even including the new supplements I now buy (I spend about $30-40 per month on 4 different vitamins I buy, which isn't bad at all). I would guess I spend about $40-50 on groceries per week for just myself (this is in Canadian dollars and prices, in case you're not from Canada). Watching for sales on items in flyers is a great way to save money. I don't buy gym memberships or go to fitness classes, I do all my workouts at home with an old cheap set of handweights, a yoga mat, and the plethora of resources available on the internet. I also borrow all fitness/nutrition books from the library, though they do have videos too that I haven't yet explored. There are most definitely ways to live healthy on the cheap.
  • If you want smoothies or shakes, don't go with something like Shakeology, it is very expensive. You can buy simple Whey protein powder for ~75 cents a scoop and add a banana if you want more carbs & calories.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    BS. Eat real food. Eat healthy food with adequate fat and protein. While good quality, nutrient dense food is more expensive, one will eat LESS in volume.

Before changing my lifestyle, I was spenidng about $1200 to $1500 on groceries per month (I live in the Arctic). Now I spend $800 to $1000. The items cost more, but I eat less. The secret is WHAT I eat (high fat, mod protein, low carb) and I never "fill up" on big amounts of food.

Also, there are many body weight exercises that can be done at home with minimal equipment.

Money is no excuse because you can make better choices with what you have.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Not sure why getting in shape has to be super expensive. There are gyms with low monthly fees or if you (or a friend) lives in an apartment, most have some sort of equipment available.

You can also stream workouts from youtube and hulu. If you have a netflix account, you could use 1 of your dvd rentals on a workout dvd.

Seriously, where there is a will there is a way. If you want it bad enough, you'll figure a way to succeed.

As for food....find what fits in your budget. If getting fresh veggies is a problem because of not being able to use them in a certain amount of time, look at frozen. If you have to get some packaged foods..okay. Focus on meeting your calorie goals and work with your budget. Don't adopt an all or nothing attitude because that will lead you down the road to a ragequit.

You don't have to start your eating off with 100% healthy bang in order to succeed. You don't have to have a membership to a fancy gym to be able to get into shape. And you don't have to subscribe to some diet program or get the latest in shakes, pills, etc to lose weight...especially because these don't really do anything.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Im likely poorer than mostly everyone on here lol. Definitely ain't got the cash to throw down the drain for that beach body bull**** or shakeology...I'l go ahead and let the rich people blow their money on that garb.

Being a relatively very poor person, here are a few tips from me:

Dont shop at places like Giant Eagle unless they have some great sales, otherwise they charge too much.
    Find places like Aldi, or somewhere similar to it.
    I buy eggs, frozen vegetables and chicken breast in bulk.
    Buy water by the gallon. Instead of bottled.
    You dont have to pay for workout videos you want ***cough cough***...pirate bay...***cough cough**

Hope these are of some help!

Also...I usually only have $200 or less per month to spend on food in a house of 4 people..
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    when you save your money for the quality good stuff ...

...With you so far...
    like fat free cottage cheese

Awwww you ruined it.
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member

She's right. Do this and walk an hour every day. Then twice a day. Then jog, if you can manage some shoes. If not, the walking will suffice. You will lose weight and firm up.

Oh and if you have a black thumb, farmer's markets and even the basic grocery store will work ok. just stick with what's in season or on sale...

And eat a lot of protein...Remember, if a food has a commercial, it's probably not too good for you.

Good luck.