Reaching target weight, but need help with extra flab

Options
Hi.

I had always been overweight for as long as I could remember, but never really noticed it being such a problem until after I had my daughter. I had tried many different weight loss strategies, however it seemed nothing worked and I always eventually gave up. Back in 2011, I had to have my gallbladder removed which required a very big change in my overall diet after the surgery. I had actually maintained that diet for quite a while, especially when I noticed the significant amount weight I was dropping from month to month. Before my surgery in Nov, I was at 280lbs and after my surgery, the weight was dropping off fast. By Christmas I was already down to 260 and within a little over a year I had dropped 100lbs.

The weight had just literally fell off. I wasn't exercising or really doing anything at all, but I had held on to the change in eating habits. The lack of exercise, I regret most of all. With all that weight loss, I look and feel better, the compliments I get from people feel amazing, but it's when I look at myself in the mirror that I see what still needs to be fixed. The flab. I'm at 180lbs right now and still trying to lose more weight, but at a smarter, healthier pace with exercise. I do a lot of walking right now, while I see that it helps, I know I need to do a lot more than just that.

So my question is, what are some things I can do now, to tone up, drop some more lbs and help lose the flab which is in the usual trouble areas, arms, thighs, tummy?

Replies

• sss1966
    sss1966 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I woul add some weight training to your exercise programme which are fab for toning up. Congratulations on your weight loss x
  • ontheregimen
    Options
    I would continue to eat at a slight caloric deficit and hit the weights. What types of exercises are you comfortable doing? There many good beginner weight training programs involving free weights that would help you reach your goal.
  • FlowersInTheDirt
    FlowersInTheDirt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I would suggest weight training and lots of squats, planks, crunches and lunges to help you tone up.
    A massive we'll don't for what you have achieved so far! :flowerforyou:
  • Mharren
    Mharren Posts: 60
    Options
    Are we talkin about actual 'fat' here, or loose skin and shrunken adipose deposits?

You don't ever actually 'burn' fat once its on you. But the cell itself shrinks. People that have manual removal of subcutaneous fat will not 'gain weight' in that area even when they do put on weight, because there are no adipose deposits left to aggregate and enlarge. You know that pannus or 'mummy tummy' women often get after pregnancy that's a flabby, soft, flap? That is skin that will not re-tighten and shrunken, left-over fat deposits. The only way to get rid of that is surgical excision I'm afraid. Or to re-inflate yourself.

If the 'flab' you speak of, is this type of 'loose tissue' then it can be heartbreaking to someone to loose all that weight only to find out there isn't a cream or exercise in the world that will even 'tighten' them up. A consultation with a physician, or preferably a plastic surgeon, can confirm for you whether or not there is anything you can do that is not reconstructive in nature. That can help you to gain realistic expectations for yourself.

I don't mean to sound hopeless, but I see enough people who drop weight only to find that they wish they hadn't beause of the loose, flaps that replaced their actual 'flab'. One thing you might try, and if it helps at all it will be marginal, is compression. After an abominoplasty - for instance - a compression bandage is often placed over the abdomen to keep the tissue alignments tight and in place. We use compression on burn patients after skin grafting for the same sort of reason. While losing weight you might consider wearing 'hugging' under garments similar to bathing suits, you can find these types of garments wherever you find your bras and underwear, you'll know it when you see and feel it. A firm fit will apply compression, but this should not be something you would describe as 'tight'. It should cling and not move easily across your skin. A lot of 'control' undergarments fit this bill. If this helps it will not be great, but it may help in some degree.

Pretty much any significant amount of weight loss that leaves behind excess tissue is going to require surgical excision if you want that 'toned' look.

If this is a severely troubling thing for you then speaking with a physician or counselor that can help you accept the disfigurement is recommended, especially if surgical excision is not a realistic option for you.

I hope everything works out and that you get what your looking for.

Cheers,
    - Mharren
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I've read a supplement called Yohimbe works well for reducing fat in stubborn areas.

Walking, especially fast walking or uphill walking should reduce fat deposits on the legs.

A PSMF diet can also burn stubborn fat deposits off.