Weighing pasta?

Options
Okay, this may be a really silly question BUT...

When you weigh pasta, do you weigh it cooked or uncooked?

Replies

• LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Dry.
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Uncooked.
  • 777twist
    777twist Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Yes dry/uncooked.

But more specifically, you need to measure your foods in the state that's listed on the package. So if it says 200 cal for uncooked, then you need to measure dry. If it says 200 cal/cooked. Then you need to do it that way. I don't run across many packages that show the cooked cals, mainly because they probably have no idea how you prepare it. But I'm just throwing it out there in case you see something that does measure in the cooked state.
  • brenna8806
    Options
    Yes dry/uncooked.

But more specifically, you need to measure your foods in the state that's listed on the package. So if it says 200 cal for uncooked, then you need to measure dry. If it says 200 cal/cooked. Then you need to do it that way. I don't run across many packages that show the cooked cals, mainly because they probably have no idea how you prepare it. But I'm just throwing it out there in case you see something that does measure in the cooked state.

Thank you! The box didn't say one way or another, & I always try to be super honest/accurate in my measurements!

I do have some popcorn that tells me the cals for both cooked/uncooked. Silly, bc I am NOT eating it unpopped.

I appreciate the advice! :)
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    777twist is totally right. sometimes it's easier to use the cooked version, like with i dunno, brownies or something. you're not going to measure out 1 tbsp of mix and just eat that dry, but with a lot of things like pasta, oats, lentils, etc. it's way easier to use the dry version.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    You can also weigh it cooked and log it that way in the database. Search for

spaghetti cooked enriched

and choose a listing without an asterisk. It will have gram options.
  • mforsis
    mforsis Posts: 41
    Options
    fyi I have found that we prefer 50 g of pasta per person not 200 g that is recommended (yes we weight dry). We like lots of vegetables and protein instead. This is one of the few things my husband and I agree on when it comes to diet. The weight of the pasta. Time to celebrate !
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    fyi I have found that we prefer 50 g of pasta per person not 200 g that is recommended (yes we weight dry). We like lots of vegetables and protein instead. This is one of the few things my husband and I agree on when it comes to diet. The weight of the pasta. Time to celebrate !

I eat a lot of pasta. I have never once seen a pasta that's serving size is 200g. The serving size of dry pasta is 56g. 200g of dry pasta is nearly the whole box.
  • PrajnaFaux
    Options
    I cook for my whole family (7 of us) and it always bugs me that the info isn't measured in cups. We don't divide the package evenly (I've got little kids and teens so they eat different amounts). Does anyone know how many cups 2oz. of pasta makes?
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I cook for my whole family (7 of us) and it always bugs me that the info isn't measured in cups. We don't divide the package evenly (I've got little kids and teens so they eat different amounts). Does anyone know how many cups 2oz. of pasta makes?

About a cup.
  • 777twist
    Options

I eat a lot of pasta. I have never once seen a pasta that's serving size is 200g. The serving size of dry pasta is 56g. 200g of dry pasta is nearly the whole box.

Actually, I used to eat pretty close to a whole box. I can't eat just 50 or 56 gram... well, I could... but I don't want to. I normally eat 6 oz, or 171g - 8oz, or 228g. which is still a lot... but I like pasta!!!

Personally I think the appropriate amount is 114 or 1/4 the box as a serving. If you go to a restaurant, you aren't getting 50g of pasta. You are probably getting closer to 4 - 6oz. Not that I'm saying it's right to eat that much, but dang, it's not even worth me boiling water for 50g. But again... I love pasta!

An entire box should be 452 g... as pasta generally comes in 1lbs boxes.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    so you only cook enough pasta for one serving???? what about next day leftovers :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • 777twist
    Options

It really depends on what you are asking...

The reason I say this is because some people get confused and want to measure dry and calculate calories for cooked or vise versa. If you just want to know how much weight the food will be in the end, then I think someone answered. I guess 4 times dry is accurate, I don't know for sure.

Just don't measure in one state and use the calculations of another state.

BTW, 2oz is the serving size recommended by the box. 56g is 2oz. You can still do the math with the dry and the box. If for example you wanted to keep your small kids at the 2 oz serving (unless they are really small), give your teens and you 3 oz and your husband 4 or 5 oz, then you would probably need to cook 19 - 20 oz. which would be a box and some of a 2nd box. But you could probably just cook a box and half and be safe without too much waste.

We normally cook two boxes for 5 - 6 people. And yes, there's stuff thrown away, but not a ton.
  • 777twist
    Options
    so you only cook enough pasta for one serving???? what about next day leftovers :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Leftover pasta is about the only leftovers I don't eat. Hate day old pasta. It's so cheap to make fresh.