Runners... How long did you train for full marathon?

Options
Hi everyone! I am going to start training for a full marathon this fall. I have ran 2 halfs last fall (sub- 2 hr baby!) and have my 3rd half next weekend.

After this half I want to keep my schedule of running 5 days a week which includes a long run on the weekend. My question is how long did you train for your first full? I don't want to just finish the full, I would like to get a decent time around the 4 hr mark so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!

Replies

• befitbre
    befitbre Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Have you considered a free training schedule from Hal Higdon? He's got a few programs for different fitness levels, and they're typically 17-20 weeks long.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51135/Marathon-Training-Guide
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I think I did an 18-week plan for my first full, but now I can either go with a 12 or 16 week plan depending on my base and how important the race is to me.

I didn't run 5 days, 4 at the most. Long run on the weekend, recovery run, hill training, and a speed/tempo run during the week, with strength training mixed in (body weight only). I'm not sure what your current training is like, but if you want a 4-hour marathon, it would be worth it to throw in some speed/interval work.

Also, find out if the marathon you signed up for has pace groups. Running with an experienced pacer can help you out tremendously your first time around. Good luck!
  • Grumpy2208
    Options
    I trained for four years before I run my first. I could have run it earlier but I have a wee disability in one of my legs and I felt that I wasn't ready. It wasn't a confidence thing just I never was interested in running a marathon I guess. I was bullied at school and called a duck for the way I walk and that's what pushed me to start running. I wanted to prove to myself that even a duck can run lol. And I am a beautiful duck lol

Anyhow, I run my first marathon at 20. But it took me four years. I have run 5. I know it sucks.

Normally, a year with a good running base building endurance mentally and physically should be good?.I suppose the mental aspect is as much if not more important than the physical one. Some experts studies would cite years or weeks probably. Just depends how much work you put into it. It really depends on an individual's level. Except for maths, everything else is really subjective I guess.

Good luck. Hope you reach your goals. It's an awesome objective to aim for.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have done a ton of searching on plans. My hesitation is only running 20 as the longest run. Seems like that isn't enough unless the goal is to only finish. The full is on my bucket list as well as my MBA (which is going to take a lot of time). My goal is to run the full, keep my base up long term to continue to run halfs then maybe another full in 3 years to celebrate completely the MBA. :drinker:

I am always looking for long distance running friends, feel free to add me!
  • kmanus
    kmanus Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started doing triathlon in 2008 which is when I picked up running (and hated it!). I didn't start seriously training for a full marathon until Sept 2012. However, I had completed several half marathons (on very little training) and a half-ironman (in 2011 - which I trained for). I'm only looking to finish so I kept the 20 miler as it was. A few "shorter" runs were a smidge longer than intended (i.e. made 16's closer to 18's simply due to location). Plus I assumed (stupidly???) that since the last 9 miles of my marathon are a loss of 1,600' that the 20 miler should be good enough; I can crawl the next miles downhill if necessary. I'll let you know how it goes after next weekend!

Oh - I followed Higedon's 30 week supreme novice plan. The first month (Sept) I just ran for "fun" to get back into it and then officially started in Oct.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have done a ton of searching on plans. My hesitation is only running 20 as the longest run. Seems like that isn't enough unless the goal is to only finish. The full is on my bucket list as well as my MBA (which is going to take a lot of time). My goal is to run the full, keep my base up long term to continue to run halfs then maybe another full in 3 years to celebrate completely the MBA. :drinker:

i only run 20 in training, but I run it 3 times. Only a few plans go up to 22 or 23, and I don't know of any that do the full 26.2 before the race (unless you are in training to win it). 20 is enough, but I know that the first time out it is hard to trust the plan.
  • nzrocketman
    Options
    I was just about to Ask the Same Question. My Aunty has challenge me to compete in next year Rotorua Marathon (50th anniversary) which is May 2014. I use to be a good long distance runner at school 8 years ago now I wont be able to run 1km without stopping.

So I have a year to go from couch to 42km. I am currently over weight and unfit

Would things should I consider and when should I start to get serious about training

Note, i'm not out to win it, but to just to have fun and I've always wanted to do one
  • Colbyandsage
    Options

i only run 20 in training, but I run it 3 times. Only a few plans go up to 22 or 23, and I don't know of any that do the full 26.2 before the race (unless you are in training to win it). 20 is enough, but I know that the first time out it is hard to trust the plan.

Thanks! That makes me feel better!
  • Colbyandsage
    Options
    I was just about to Ask the Same Question. My Aunty has challenge me to compete in next year Rotorua Marathon (50th anniversary) which is May 2014. I use to be a good long distance runner at school 8 years ago now I wont be able to run 1km without stopping.

So I have a year to go from couch to 42km. I am currently over weight and unfit

Would things should I consider and when should I start to get serious about training

Note, i'm not out to win it, but to just to have fun and I've always wanted to do one

Do a search for couch to 5k. Finish that then establish a base of 3-4 miles for about 4-5 days a week, then train for a half or full. You can do it! Trust me when I say that running alone will not remove the weight, diet is key as well.
  • nzrocketman
    Options
    I will check it out