confused with diets

Options
Hi everyone! I've been using the food diary for a few weeks now and according to the scales im not losing anything :( I have increased my exercise and have been relatativly good with what I eat. Also I'm confused with my daily sugar allowance... I'm always over but everyday my allowance changes, does anyone know why this is? :)

Replies

• NancyStree
    NancyStree Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It changes with your exercise in put. Did you figure out your TDEE and BMR to make sure you are eating the right amount of calories??
  • jadeyq1
    jadeyq1 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Do this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide?hl=bmr

It could be that you're gaining muscle from your exercise if it's more than you were doing before :) The above post is a great run through of what really really works!

All of your macros and sugars (protein, fat, carbs, sugar) will increase when you log your exercise so if your exercise varies daily, so will those numbers :)
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    its hard to tell with a closed diary. If you are eating at the 1200 calorie level, I would up it. Lookup a TDEE and BRM claculator. Multiply your TDEE by 0.8 and eat that amount of calories every day. I wouldn't worry about sugar unless you are diabetic. You can change what you track in diary settings. You daily levels on mfp will change with what you put in for exercise.
  • jadeyq1
    jadeyq1 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Forgot to say.....ignore MFPs sugar limit. You can go over on their recommendation by eating two pieces of fruit! Not important unless you have certain health issues! :)
  • Arees23
    Arees23 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Sorry im a bit thick but whats Tdee? I'm on 1400 calories a day.. thats good to know with the sugar thing because I go over so easily even with healthy stuff. I read somewhere that sugar turns into belly fat so im really concious of sugar now but its put me off eating fruit and drinking fruit smoothies..which I thought was suposed to be good for you :/
  • willbeskliz
    Options
    Its Daily Energy Expenditure Estimate. I just googled it. Then worked out that my daily allowance should be 1900. Right now its 1450 based om MFP's calculations.

Hey I am now just as confused as you are!
  • suane
    suane Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I noticed that when I recorded my exercise the calorie allowance would go up accordingly. I watch how many calories I've taken in and know how much I have remaining for the day. As for the stall in weight loss, I cut the starchy carbs down and up my protein intake. Seems to be working for me, so I'm suggesting it to you. Good luck.:smile:
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Its Daily Energy Expenditure Estimate. I just googled it. Then worked out that my daily allowance should be 1900. Right now its 1450 based om MFP's calculations.

Hey I am now just as confused as you are!

If your TDEE is 1900 that is the amount of calories you could theoretically eat to maintain your weight.

To lose weight, deduct between 10-20% from that number and eat that :)
  • Arees23
    Arees23 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Thats a great help, I want to lose more than 2 pounds a week, which is the max mfp lets you lose. I've got 77 pounds to lose according to my ideal weight :(
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    If your TDEE is 1900 then to lose weight your daily calorie goal should be a net of 1520 (80% of 1900) That means 1520 with no exercise. When you exercise you need to eat back at least half of those extra calories. Good luck.
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Thats a great help, I want to lose more than 2 pounds a week, which is the max mfp lets you lose. I've got 77 pounds to lose according to my ideal weight :(

Losing more than 2 pounds a week is a bad idea.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options

There's really no point rushing it - the bigger the calorie deficit, the more muscle tone you lose (unless you weight train) so the body you are left with is not taught and toned but saggy and soft.
  • pogiest
    pogiest Posts: 8
    Options
    I think someone else mentioned this, but...

Whoever it was that said that you might not be losing like you want because of muscle gain is probably right on the money.

When I was in the Navy, they put me on an exercise program because I wasn't able to pass the physical readiness tests due to the run. That was in 2004. I had developed patellar tendonitis (a.k.a. runner’s knee) and osteoarthritis, making running very painful (and it still is for the same reason). I never had an issue with my weight until they did that. What I noticed is that I was gaining more muscle than I was losing fat (and yes, I already had some extra weight that I needed to lose). I went from my max allowable weight of 170 lbs at that point to 190 lbs in a matter of like 4-6 months!

It’s like I told one of the ladies at my work who is looking to lose weight… I think it’s better you track your size than your weight depending on your exercise habits. She’s doing cross fit, which I think has a tendency to bulk a person up. That being the case, I would think you wouldn’t actually lose as much weight as you would if you were to do mostly cardio like running, biking, Zumba, etc. Instead, you’d be losing the fat while gaining the muscle, which the best way to track that is by taking measurements.

That lady did say that she feels as though her clothes are getting looser on her, even though she really isn’t losing all that much weight.

At any rate… I wish you the best of luck! Just remember… YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! :happy:
  • gomezevolve7890
    gomezevolve7890 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem too.....
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Don't just depend on the scale. Use a measuring tape and keep track of your measurements. With more exercise you should see your measurements get smaller. Good luck!!