Loosing weight as a college student

Options
Hello everyone I am new on this site
not only am I looking for friends and support on this site, but It would be awesome to find college students because I feel that there are more challenges especially if you are living in a room with no stove, and your cafeteria is not exactly the healthiest. not only that but between rigorous classes, home work, study groups, and a part time job the last thing on my mind is being healthy I am just starving haha. I do want to make a positive change, and shed the weight. Any tips, or ideas, and success stories? (:

Replies

• isidona
    isidona Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a student too and have also struggled a bit! In my first year I lived in college and there was one cooker in the building and no fridge space! I live in a rented house now and it's so much better as I can cook for myself. I make sure to get enough exercise by cycling to all my classes which can be some distance away. Also, a friend who is also trying to lose weight meets up with me once a week to go swimming in the uni pool, with helps with motivation. Try to find someone like that if you can!
  • MairitaSarai
    Options
    I have cut out out elevators from my walks to and from buildings it sounds a little lame but going up and down 3 to 6 flights of stairs has to count for something, I have also said goodbye to the star bucks and jamba juice on campus. Like I said I want to take this seriously, and I will be looking for a work out buddy. Thaks for the Idea (:
  • cc141
    cc141 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm a junior in college and also have a part time job so I totally get it.
    I also used to feel like the last thing I wanted to do was eat healthy and exercise. But since march I realized this was just an excuse and I can do everything, still eat healthy and exercise daily. I'm glad I made this decision to just stop making excuses and make time to be healthy because I've already lost 12 pounds.
    And I'm still eating a bunch and everything that I like- I just eat everything in moderation. I haven't cut out anything because I always failed when I'd do that.
    So you can do it too!
    Goodluck =]
  • jwickedlovely
    Options
    I am finishing up my Junior year in college and I know how hard it can be trying to lose weight in college. I have two part time jobs and it is hard to find time but I have made it a priority to find time to work out. My freshman year I came into college weighing more than I do at the moment. Over that year and the next year I gained about 35 lbs. I let that happen to myself. I didn't work out and just ate whatever I wanted. Last May I decided I wanted to make a change and I have. I was lucky enough to get an apartment on my campus so I am able to make my own food which has helped me greatly. I would say if you dont have access or a way to cook your own food, if your school allows get a mini fridge for your room. Fill it with fresh veggies and light ranch dressing for snacks. Or keep some lettuce and salad dressings for a quick salad. Walking to class across campus is great. I cut out taking the elevators if I have class on the 6th floor or below. If there is a gym on campus I would say try and use that three times a week. I personally ended up joining a gym near my school because I didn't want to be judged by my fellow classmates. I also cut out all regular sodas, teas & juices because of the amount of empty calories in them. I drink mostly diet drinks now and they dont taste horrible. Snapple has a pretty good diet green tea in a gallon container. I do eat what i want most of the time but with the help of this app I have been able to "budget" what I eat, so I can eat chocolate if I want to one day. (I dont know if you have tried any Skinny Cow products but they are flippen amazing) I am still on my journey to reach my goals and I hope to by the end of this summer to have doubled my current weight loss. ( I have lost 52lbs). I wish everyone luck on losing weight in college, it is not the easiest thing to do. You can do, it!
  • Jewels_in_the_rough
    Jewels_in_the_rough Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I can completely relate! Luckily, I have a stovetop in my room this year, but I am so stoked to have an actual kitchen next year, when I move into my new place. I just make sure I go for a run several times a week, and watch calories. At the dining center I go to, all of the food has labels with calories, so I go in with a calorie limit and make sure I stick to it. And all of the nutrition information is posted online, so I am able to plan ahead and keep an eye on my macros and such. Anyway, add me if you would like :)
  • starfinale
    starfinale Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew about mfp when I was in college. I graduated back in August and wish I took control of myself in school. Good luck and you're in the right place!! Stay away from the fast food and cafeteria! haha! you can add me if you'd like.