LBS lost VS Inches lost

Options

Replies

• tanashai
    tanashai Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I use both: LBS for tracking trends (it's nice to see when I'll get more weight and more importantly, WHY so I can either prep for it or avoid it) and inches to feel good about what I'm doing XD. I approach my weight loss a bit clinically though, so numbers don't bother me.

Fitting into smaller pants though..... ahhhhhhhh, lol!
  • katimama
    katimama Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    both are important and sometimes it's the inches lost that keep me going when the scale doesn't move. Until I am closer to a healthy BMI the pounds on the scale is what is most important to me right now.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    a combo of how I feel and inches lost. How much energy I have, how strong I feel, and improving my fitness are important too, even more important in many ways than what size we are.
  • tinah1126
    tinah1126 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Both are equally important to me as I have set goals for each. I weight in once a week and measure every 10 days right now because I am doing the 30 DS and want to know how I have done at the end of each level. Once I finish this 30DS I will go to measuring just once a month. I have to say that the inches lost have been the best though because I can tell a difference in my clothes as well as the mirror!!
  • ShellGetsFit
    ShellGetsFit Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Both are equally important to me as I have set goals for each. I weight in once a week and measure every 10 days right now because I am doing the 30 DS and want to know how I have done at the end of each level. Once I finish this 30DS I will go to measuring just once a month. I have to say that the inches lost have been the best though because I can tell a difference in my clothes as well as the mirror!!

30DS definitely gives a reason to keep the measurements going! I love the inches lost so far! :smile:
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Both!

I measure once a month both measurements and weight. The scale and tape measure are sliding down this month, which makes me happy. It's been a while since seeing any progress.
  • stevenbatl
    stevenbatl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Putting in my two cents. I go by both. I'm a numbers kind of guy, so I like the data. Officially, I weigh in on Mondays, but I keep weighing throughout the week to mentally track how things are progressing. I only break out the tape measure once every 2-3 weeks. The tape doesn't move as quickly or drastically as the scale, so I don't like to overdo it there.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Inches. Absolutely inches. I wouldn't even have a goal weight if MFP didn't force me to make one up in order to create an account.
  • sue817
    sue817 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I too used to think LBS matter the most but I have changed my mind! Losing the inches and feeling better have made all the difference in my weight loss journey!
  • jennerlnz
    jennerlnz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started out really concentrating on the scale, but in recent weeks I've switched my mindset completely. I think it's silly, for me at least, to be focussed on a goal weight when that number has no meaning in my real life. Ie: I have been slimmer before, but I was not fit at all. So I might get just as slim as that, but being more fit now I could weigh ten pounds more than I did at that time, kwim? So now I have a goal size in jeans. I still get on the scale, but I'm learning to let it go. For weeks now, actually, the scale hasn't budged a bit (and I was getting *really* frustrated), but I got out the tape measure and voila! I've lost another inch off my waist and a half inch of my stubborn hips. :)
  • Toddahlie
    Toddahlie Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It's very importan th inches lost than the scale! but omg! it's so difficult not be depressed when you see a high number in the scale, but you know that you lost inches!!!

To resume, My guide is how i look with my clothes, if they fit me well and better than befores..my works was worth!
  • ApocolypseCow
    ApocolypseCow Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This may be a stupid question....how do you lose inches rather than weight? Just by working out? Is eating healthier more for weight and working out more for inches?
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Depends on goals really... Females largely choose inches over lbs...
    Whereas fighters (mma) would solely be concerned about lbs - weight category must be met
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    muscle weight more then fat.
    So at the end its a choice.
    I like the inches, that;s what I and other people see,
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options

Not true! A pound of fat weighs the same as pound of muscle. Just like a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of pennies. It's the composition that's different.
  • junctiongirl
    junctiongirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I like anything that allows me to see progress so I step on the scale every day at least once. And MFP makes it nice because if you input your weight you can still see where you are trending whether its up or down. Then about once a month I measure and then you can also see where it makes a difference. Clothes are a good indicator as well :) Whatever works is whats important.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Not true! A pound of fat weighs the same as pound of muscle. Just like a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of pennies. It's the composition that's different.

Who has only a pound of muscle or a pound of fat?
  • junctiongirl
    junctiongirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    They should Kind of go hand in hand. You will probably see more inches if you are doing a good weight routine. Because Muscle is denser then fat (it takes up less space per lb) You may not see huge lb loss but you will notice toning and inches. Healthy eating should be combined no matter what. :tongue:
  • bcattoes
    Options
    This may be a stupid question....how do you lose inches rather than weight? Just by working out? Is eating healthier more for weight and working out more for inches?

Lose more fat than muscle. Muscle is heavier than fat. So if you lose 3 lbs of fat you will lose more inches than if you lose 2 lbs of fat and 1 lb of muscle.

Both diet and exercise may play a factor. A diet low in protein coupled with exercise lacking in resistance could lead to highere muscle loss, while the same calorie diet with more protein coupled with exercise that includes resistance may lead to less muscle loss.
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options

Lose more fat than muscle. Muscle is heavier than fat.

no.

a pound is a pound.