What are max and min weights for my height?

Options
I am 5 foot 1. I have read sooo many variable comments and charts about how much someone my height should weigh to be considered healthy, that im left unsure of which is right! Im trying to figure out a goal weight and in order to do that i need a reliable resource for what a healthy max weight can be as well as a healthy minimum weight can be for me. Does anyone have any insight? I realize that all people come in different shapes and sizes, even if they are all the same height, which is why i like the idea of a minimum and a maxium range. Thanks!

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    If you google any BMI charts that will give you an idea, though people with large amounts of muscle/big frames/tiny frames can be outside of this range it's a good average.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    If you google any BMI charts that will give you an idea, though people with large amounts of muscle/big frames/tiny frames can be outside of this range it's a good average.

I agree with this.
  • Mere_Dith
    Mere_Dith Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You can plug numbers into a BMI calculator to determine a healthy weight range for your height, it is probably around 130 and you're minimum is probably around 90. I also think that because BMI doesn't account for muscle mass you may want to set some measurement goals as well.
  • bratista86
    Options
    Depends on what you are aiming for too and how much muscle you have, what size frame you are. The US Army has standards here: http://army.com/info/apft/heightweightandbodyfat#females which is what I am aiming for but The Center for Disease Control has this about BMI (which helps be a bit more accurate if you are muscular etc): http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/ These are the two I go by personally, I'm sure other places are a bit different but should be in the same range. Just remember it is perfectly okay to be over the set wait if your BMI is still in the right range. You can weigh more and have it not be fat.
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Well... I am only a few inches shorter than you (4'11), my Dr had told me not to go any lower than 100lbs. I felt my best at around 110. Right now, I am aiming for a range of 110-115.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    BMI is a good starting point, but don't forget to include body fat percentage. Just wanted to throw that out there. :)
  • Falling2Grace
    Falling2Grace Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    okay, i did my body fat % and it is 32.45% at 174lbs (based on prepregnancy weight-im pregnant now just planning for the future).
    How do i figure out how my BF% relates to BMI and weight range? Sorry im asking so many questions *blush* just want to make sure im being realistic with my expectations. I understand BMI can really twist a person. I mean, ive seen very muscular men and women be labeled "obese" even though there is hardly any fat on them.

thanks for everyones suggestions!