who's got a bmr OVER 1500 calories?

Options
greetings!

i just ran some numbers and apparently my bmr (and thus, my tdee) are way freaking higher than i thought. i'm used to eating ~1400 calories a day, as that helped me to lose weight the last time i did this. granted, last time i started over 20 pounds lighter than i am now. i'm having a hard time wrapping my head around these new, higher numbers. i'm definitely looking for friends who have calorie goals in the 1500-1700 range and are making progress towards their goals!

i know how to eat and i know how to work out, 2 summers ago i was regularly doing bike rides (ok, treks) of 100+ miles in a day. i progressed fairly far into stronglifts 5x5 as well, so i'm not a stranger to being in shape. i guess i'm just nervous that upping my calories so far isn't going to work for me. someone tell me that it will all be ok! new friends always welcome :)

Replies

• sjackson16321
    Options
    I'm also struggling to get my head around the numbers a bit. Apparently my BMR is 2,212 calories. Now, admittedly I'm not a small guy (6 foot 2 and 253 lbs) but I find that a huge number of calories as a BMR. I've got 1770 as my goal calories but I'm trying to undercut that by 200-300 if I can because it seems too high to me as it's incredibly easy to only consume 1770 calories a day.
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hi! I don't really get the TDEE thing - my BMR is something insane like 2600cals a day, but I workout a lot and on the go most of the time! I normally stick to around 1500 calories a day, sometimes more on heavy workout days. I'm trying to get the hang of it as I do more gym and revamp my diet - I eat pretty clean at the moment but want to work harder at it!

Feel free to request me! :)
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    SleeplessinBerlin Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 2277. I eat between 1600 and 1700kcal a day. So far, so good. I used to eat 1200-1400 and I remember feeling pretty unhappy and limited.
  • Crazyartgrrl
    Crazyartgrrl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My BMR is about 1800 and my TDEE is around 2300 (lots of muscle and oh yeah, 6 months pregnant) but I'm most interested in eating my calories and making them HEALTHY. I know it's a bit intimidating to wrap your head around the proper calories but I have more than enough friends who eat 1200 or less a day, work out for an hour and a half and are at a plateau standstill. They don't want to hear the truth and just want to keep doing something stupid because they clicked the "lose 2 lbs a week" button in settings.
    I'm really really looking for people who aren't looking to be one of the masses who keep doing the same insane thing and scratching their heads when their goal never arrives, or they're too tired and miserable to enjoy it. I am really in need of friends who want to be strong, fit, and healthy!

The only thing is obviously I'm not on MFP to lose weight, but that shouldn't matter I would imagine, to anybody.

I'll friend you.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    mines 1800
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    When I started at MFP I was 180 lbs at 5'7"... my calorie target was 1660 to lose. I ate back all my exercise calories and lost all my weight eating about 2100 calories daily. My BMR is 1500 and my average TDEE is about 2500. I'm eating net 1850 right now. Still want to get just a touch leaner.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Looks like my BMR is about 1600, and my TDEE around 2500. MFP sets my target at 1500, and I am netting about 1400-1500 a day....I'm still losing but starting to be concerned that I'm not eating enough to keep my metabolism running. I seem to be cold a lot!
    I'm trying to eat back my exercise calories after long weekend workouts and see if that helps.
    I do feel a little weird when so many are eating what seems like a really low number -- but then again, some of those people aren't working out a lot. And this feels right for me, if not low.
    Feel free to friend me :)
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    mine is 1639
  • roerauch
    roerauch Posts: 2
    Options
    I always new BMI as a number as 25. I do not understand the calorie that are talked about. Please explain. Thank you, Roe
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    My BMR is around 1900-2400 kcal
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    2080 per scooby's workshop
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I always new BMI as a number as 25. I do not understand the calorie that are talked about. Please explain. Thank you, Roe

BMR is Basal Metabolic Rate - The rate at which the body uses energy while at rest to keep vital functions going. This is expressed in kilocalories... or kCals or simply "calories".
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    My BMR is given as 1990 or so. My TDDE is around 2400 currently, might be a bit higher since I started walking, but not by much. I am starting to think my BMR calculation is wrong. But, if I drop the water I am retaining, it will be a lot easier to figure out.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    My BMR is about 1700. My calorie goal is 1650.

My diary is open.
  • avielosesit
    avielosesit Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Mine is 1600, tdee is 2200. I try to eat 1750 but recently have been hungry so going slightly over... But still seeing consistent losses week to week. It s still early dad for me (I'm almost 8weeks in) so scared it will stop!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    this guy...

tumblr_m39ti3uhSi1qi6wuyo1_250.gif
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    oh and me too.

my BMR is like 1740 and sedentary TDEE is like 1950.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    My BMR is about 1700. My calorie goal is 1650.

My diary is open.

You're eating 50cal less than it would take you to survive in a coma?

Hmm...sounds...off.

My BMR is around 1600...my TDEE per my bodymedia fit, is averaged at 3000cal (3300-3500ish weekdays, 2200-2800ish weekends).

I eat around 2500-2800/day.
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My BMR is around the 1550 mark. My TDEE pushes 3,000 on work days. That's without intentional exercise. needless to say, I can't be bothered doing much of that...

My "goal" is set to around 1750, but I nibble, underestimate and cheat so I do eat more.
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Hi! I don't really get the TDEE thing - my BMR is something insane like 2600cals a day, but I workout a lot and on the go most of the time! I normally stick to around 1500 calories a day, sometimes more on heavy workout days. I'm trying to get the hang of it as I do more gym and revamp my diet - I eat pretty clean at the moment but want to work harder at it!

Feel free to request me! :)

I think you are mistaking BMR with TDEE (your TDEE could realistically be 2600 cals) likelihood of your BMR being that high is low