Zucchini galore

Options
peggy1952
peggy1952 Posts: 46
My son planted a garden, so today he gave me 5 large zucchini.
Any suggestions.
I know the zucchini bread is decilious but not a good temptation to have around.
Peg

Replies

• labelleariane
    labelleariane Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Zucchini (done with a peeler) + Calamari + Balsamique Vinegar + lemon zest + pepper & salt

in a foil on BBQ: miammmmm
  • maynard46
    maynard46 Posts: 134
    Options
    I love zucchini. Still waiting for my plant to mature. Anyway. Sauted zucchini and onions with whatever seasonings you like, have it as a side dish for dinner. I've used it in veg. lasagna too.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Cut into long strips about 1/4-inch thick, brush with olive oil, and grill until it has grill marks, but not until cooked to death. We add lemon pepper to ours, but just kosher salt and cracked pepper is delicious too.

We also cut into bite-size pieces along with onions, tomatoes (fresh or diced from a can) and stew them together. Wonderful!

Finally, we use it in green salads. It adds a depth of flavor you don't get from other veggies.
  • 88starz
    88starz Posts: 7
    Options
    how do you stew them? sounds good :)
  • hopebird
    hopebird Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sliced zucchini, onion slices, and hunks of tomato just stew together in a frying pan (the tomatoes provide enough moisture or you can add a little olive oil). Once it is all starting to turn into a bit of a stew or sauce add a little fresh parmesan and let it melt into the veggies.

Serve over whole wheat pasta.

So simple and sooooo delicious!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I have zucchini taking over here, too. When I gave some to my neighbor, she told me that she just cuts it up and dips it in Ranch. I tried it and fell in love! I even got my picky hubby to try it and he loves it, too. :)
  • dlrcpa
    dlrcpa Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You can shred it in the food processor and sneak it into all sorts of things. I put it into lasagne for example. I am making a stuffing mix/cheese/zucchini casserole for dinner. It also has sour cream (fat free) and a can of cream of chicken soup. I got the recipe from Allrecipes.com
  • mel_istheshit
    Options
    You can shred it in the food processor and sneak it into all sorts of things. I put it into lasagne for example. I am making a stuffing mix/cheese/zucchini casserole for dinner. It also has sour cream (fat free) and a can of cream of chicken soup. I got the recipe from Allrecipes.com

I've recently started sneaking it into my turkey burgers with chopped spinach. I cook them both in the microwave for a couple minutes and squeeze out the excess moisture, then mix in ground turkey and grill seasoning. The veggies keep the burgers very moist! I heard this works well with mushrooms too, but that's one thing my husband wouldn't go for. He does enjoy the green turkey burgers though!
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Zucchini Oven Chips!! They're a great side to a nice healthy dinner and a satisfying substitute for chips or fries. I got the recipe off of cooking light. It's actually very quick to make them, too.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)
    Ingredients
    1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
    1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
    1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons fat-free milk
    2 1/2 cups (1/4-inch-thick) slices zucchini (about 2 small)
    Cooking spray
    Preparation
    Preheat oven to 425°.

Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Place milk in a shallow bowl. Dip zucchini slices in milk, and dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Place coated slices on an ovenproof wire rack coated with cooking spray; place rack on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 30 minutes or until browned and crisp. Serve immediately.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    61 (28% from fat)
    Fat:
    1.9g (sat 1g,mono 0.5g,poly 0.2g)
    Protein:
    3.8g
    Carbohydrate:
    7.6g
    Fiber:
    1g
    Cholesterol:
    5mg
    Iron:
    0.6mg
    Sodium:
    231mg
    Calcium:
    87mg
  • sue123456
    sue123456 Posts: 3
    Options
    We also have a plethora of zucchinis. And the temptation for bread and muffins is overwhelming! My husband taught me this recipe:Grate a large zucchini. Steam in a vegetable steamer. Add non-fat sour cream 'til creamy, add salt and pepper. Nummy and very few calories. Enjoy!:happy:
  • LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    Options
    Stuffed zuccini is yummy, if its a big zuccini that is! Just cut the zuccini in half, lay each half face up in a casserole dish and stuff the center with ground meat mixture! I use ground turkey personally. Just add whatever seasonings and spices you like, kind of li ke making meatloaf! Some people like to add onion as well. Add some water to the bottom of the dish and cover with tinfoil, takes about 45min or so to cook! MMM!!!!

I also just cut it up and steam it and add a tiny bit of butter! Love it!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I'll just say that zucchini is my absolute favorite vegetable! I love, love, love it! :) I just cut up a zucchini into "half moon" shapes and cook them in a skillet with cooking spray, salt, and pepper. And then I use fat free/calorie free butter spray. :) Soooooo amazing. You've got me almost drooling right now.
  • monkeyfood
    monkeyfood Posts: 106
    Options
    I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but have made a zucchini spaghetti before.
    grate it like cheese, and boil 1/2 noodles 1/2 zucchini.. that way you get a lot less calories than if you just had the noodles. Just make some tomato sauce to put over it.. delicious :)
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ab_shutterbug
    ab_shutterbug Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    :glasses: :ohwell: :laugh: I love zucchini! Try sauteeing in olive oil, seasoning salt (or salt & pepper) and some fresh herbs. Yum!

Also try rubbing some sticks in olive oil/seasoning and roasting on the outdoor grill. We did this the other night and even the kids were clammoring for more.

My personal favorite, but I haven't checked the calories, is chocolate zucchini bread with chocolate chips. How bad can it be? Maybe a small slice for breakfast with black coffee would be okay. :)

Alexa
  • catchtanya
    catchtanya Posts: 15
    Options
    Stuffed zuccini is yummy, if its a big zuccini that is! Just cut the zuccini in half, lay each half face up in a casserole dish and stuff the center with ground meat mixture! I use ground turkey personally. Just add whatever seasonings and spices you like, kind of li ke making meatloaf! Some people like to add onion as well. Add some water to the bottom of the dish and cover with tinfoil, takes about 45min or so to cook! MMM!!!!

For those vegetarians (like me) this also works well with Buckwheat or Bulgur. I normally cook it up, add diced onions, garlic, rosemary and then stuff and bake as above
  • golddogs
    golddogs Posts: 42 Member
    Options

I love to stuff zuccini! I cut it in half, scoop out rhe middle and mix it with italian turkey sausage. Cover in tomato sauce and sprinkle with a little parmesan. Cover and bake. Delicious!!
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but have made a zucchini spaghetti before.
    grate it like cheese, and boil 1/2 noodles 1/2 zucchini.. that way you get a lot less calories than if you just had the noodles. Just make some tomato sauce to put over it.. delicious :)

I've made this with some modifications....

zucchini made into long strips with a veggie peeler - steam until just tender
    heat olive oil and saute chopped onion and garlic
    toss in zucchini noodles and add fresh basil and chopped fresh tomato (I also add just a tiny pinch of sea salt and a liberal grind of fresh pepper... you could also add whatever other spices you want)
    turn to coat and heat through

Makes a nice light dinner or easy side dish
  • peggy1952
    peggy1952 Posts: 46
    Options
    :drinker: thanks for all the ideas
  • SilverRoxy
    SilverRoxy Posts: 64
    Options
    I used it to make some sort of parmesean dish last week. I say 'some sort' because I was pressed for time. I just sauteed it with some chopped onion and garlic (used Pam in the pan then only a tsp of olive oil) then added Ragu light spaghetti sauce and sprinkled in some parmesean cheese. It was VERY tasty and low calorie!