intermittent fasting/8 hour diet

Options
I'm going to start this by asking those who have nothing nice to say, please move on and not post on this thread...I am looking for feedback from anyone who has experience with the 8 hour diet.

http://www.wimausa.org/is-the-8-hour-diet-a-realistic-approach-to-weight-loss/

I understand you CANNOT eat whatever you want for 8 hours straight and expect lo lose weight. What I like about this way of thinking is using the clock as your guide and well as eating right and exercising. I'm intrigued and have requested the book from my library.

I'm looking to hear from real people who have tried this. Did it work?

When I used MFP a few years ago, simply counting cals and exercising worked. Fast forward to today and some major medical issues over the past 2 years , I need more!

Thanks!

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I do this but with 4 hours instead of 8.
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options

So you only eat during a 4 hour window every day?
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options

So you only eat during a 4 hour window every day?
    Yes, 7pm to 11pm.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I do this once a week after my refeed day. I love it. And I think it gives good results. I don't do it all week because I run a 25% deficit and skipping breakfast puts me into lala land. And I haven't decided if the 36 hour fast is a good idea or not. Definitely not for me. I like the 16/8 (16 hour fast, 8 hour feed window).

The science behind it makes sense to me. And it is dirt simple. I try very hard to exercise during the fast and right before the feeding window opens. That has worked great. The theory is you are well into fat burning at that stage of the fast. I used to gain 3 lbs after a cheat day and not be back to the pre-cheat day weight for 3 days. Now, with IF, I am back in one day.

I say give it a go and see how you like it. Track your results and especially how it makes you feel. If it fits your style, I see no downside whatsoever.
  • johned63
    johned63 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I have been doing IF M-F I am switching between a week of 20/4 and a week of 16/8 to see what my thoughts are. On the weekends I follow a regular routine.
  • 5erious
    5erious Posts: 469
    Options
    gonna start this monday. should i train fasted?
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I typically eat on a 12/12 schedule...but just because I do not like to eat breakfast so it just works out that way.
  • Sobeeit
    Sobeeit Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I do IF 16/8 and love it
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You can get a lot of the same information on www.leangains.com without waiting for a book, this is the concept that a lot of people on a 16/8 diet follow. I have been experimenting with it for the last few days, not enough time to comment in depth just yet, but so far I like it.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I was doing 16/8 but after i raised my calories i found it hard to eat them all in 8 hrs so i do it 14/10
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options

I think for best results, you should train at the end of the fast. That can be hard if your fast ends at 12 noon. But a morning workout would be good if you fast from 8pm until 12 noon.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Yes. I've had solid gains training around 18-19 hours fasted and eating right after. I try to eat some protein and simple carbs as soon as I get home and then eat the rest of my food leisurely an hour or so later.
  • anjuli_mack
    anjuli_mack Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Leangains.com has a lot about this (: I did it for a while but now I'm just back to keto diet eating every 3 hours. I think you need to try different ways and see what works best for you (: I didn't like not eating during the day )):
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Decided to give IF a shot. I can eat within an 8 hour window, and then fast the rest of the time. Into it for two days now. So far, so good.
  • 5erious
    5erious Posts: 469
    Options
    Yes. I've had solid gains training around 18-19 hours fasted and eating right after. I try to eat some protein and simple carbs as soon as I get home and then eat the rest of my food leisurely an hour or so later.
    [/quote

NIce will try and post results!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    [/quote

You can also check out the IF board on here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/66-intermittent-fasting
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    [/quote

You can also check out the IF board on here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/66-intermittent-fasting

Thanks! Didn't know there was one!!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it lately since I've had a couple of big weekends.