WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Robin, I just saw on my folks' TV that Congress will vote in the next hour on extending unemployment benefits. I have fingers and toes crossed!

yep I am on pins and needles.

By the way it is my daughter who got engaged. I only have daughters. (well I have step sons from DH)

I am glad that I will get to do the flowers. I love doing wedding flowers. both girls have married young and stupid so I got to do their flowers for what I call their "starter marriages" . this time I know it is the real thing and I am getting such a great son in law. I did my own flowers for all three of my weddings and I have done many family members. Maybe I should try starting my own wedding flower business.
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    Maybe I should try starting my own wedding flower business.
    Sounds like way more fun than sitting in a stuffy old office!
  • peggy1952
    peggy1952 Posts: 46
    Options
    Hi ladies and gents, I would like to check into this forum sometimes. Looks like it could be quite a large group though.
    I just found this site about 2 weeks ago so my goal for July is 7 lbs. I have 5 down so far so I'm hopeful.
    Peg
  • Wishful
    Wishful Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    HI, Peg! Come on in and join us.

We're planning a family trip to Cumberland Island off of GA. I've been wanting to go forever! We have to pack everything in (including water) and bring all the trash back out. Any ideas out there for backpack lunches and snacks that don't weigh much?
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Peggy! Wish you great success on this journey...you've found a great group here!

Wishful: We have always wanted to go to Cumberland Island too...can't wait to hear all about it. It is not far for us either. Sounds wonderful.

Robin: How exciting for your daughter and you all. I am just glad the wave didn't knock the ring out of a hand! And I think Mimi is right...wedding planning and flower arranging is a big business! I have a good friend who has done that for many years now and she is always turning down weddings. She can pick the ones she wants to do and pass on the others...pretty nice business!
    Hope Congress gets this vote passed too!

Mimi: I am sorry that your DS didn't think through how his actions would be so hurtful to you. I just don't think "boys", no matter their age, are- in general- as sensitive to how their actions might be perceived. I am sure that he thought he saved everyone a lot of bother by eloping. Having only sons, I feel for you. I would feel the same way that you are, I know. Don't beat yourself up for feeling human! And as always, vegetables cannot hurt!

Laura: Sounds like you are getting in some nice exercise. Good for you!

Amanda: LOVE the new photo...you are both very attractive people and it is a sweet picture.

Take care, dear ladies. Kackie:heart:
  • mynyddisamrs
    mynyddisamrs Posts: 387
    Options
    Just a quick post again ...it's been raining ALL DAY here ...I needed a laugh. I found this gem and thought you might like it too. Nothing to do with food or diets and in no way does this apply to my DH ...well ...some of it maybe!!

WICOE
    (Women In Charge Of Everything)
    Is proud to announce the opening of its
    EVENING CLASSES FOR MEN!
    OPEN TO MEN ONLY
    ALL ARE WELCOME

Note: due to the complexity and level of difficulty, each course will accept a maximum of eight participants

The course covers two days, and topics covered in this course include:

DAY ONE
    HOW TO FILL ICE CUBE TRAYS
    Step by step guide with slide presentation

TOILET ROLLS- DO THEY GROW ON THE HOLDERS?
    Roundtable discussion

DIFFERENCES BETWEEN LAUNDRY BASKET & FLOOR
    Practising with hamper (Pictures and graphics)

DISHES & SILVERWARE;
    DO THEY LEVITATE/FLY TO KITCHEN SINK
    OR DISHWASHER BY THEMSELVES?
    Debate among a panel of experts.

REMOTE CONTROL
    Losing the remote control - Help line and support groups

LEARNING HOW TO FIND THINGS
    Starting with looking in the right place
    Instead of turning the house upside down while screaming -
    Open forum

DAY TWO

EMPTY MILK CARTONS;
    DO THEY BELONG IN THE FRIDGE OR THE BIN?
    Group discussion and role play

HEALTH WATCH;
    BRINGING HER FLOWERS IS NOT HARMFUL TO YOUR HEALTH
    PowerPoint presentation

REAL MEN ASK FOR DIRECTIONS WHEN LOST
    Real life testimonial from the one man who did

IS IT GENETICALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO SIT QUIETLY
    AS SHE PARALLEL PARKS?
    Driving simulation

LIVING WITH ADULTS;
    BASIC DIFFERENCES BETWEEN
    YOUR MOTHER AND YOUR PARTNER
    Online class and role playing

HOW TO BE THE IDEAL SHOPPING COMPANION
    Relaxation exercises, meditation and breathing techniques

REMEMBERING IMPORTANT DATES
    & CALLING WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO BE LATE
    Bring your calendar or PDA to class

GETTING OVER IT;
    LEARNING HOW TO LIVE WITH BEING WRONG ALL THE TIME
    Individual counsellors available

:yawn: Night all ...sweet dreams
    BFN
    Jackie
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies:flowerforyou:

Amanda - I’m another waxer, I have my eyebrows waxed every few months and usually get my upper lip and chin waxed at the same time. It must be an age thing, I’m sure I never had a ‘tache when I was younger.:bigsmile: By the way love the picture

I ate out for the first time since starting MFP last night. I was invited to a friends house for tea with a few others, we were thinking of starting a book club, but once the wine started flowing thought we should maybe have a wine tasting club, when one of the hubbies came to collect his wife, he suggested a gossip club - cheeky. :laugh: Rachel made a lovely concoction of raspberries/strawberries, meringue and cream it was delicious and must confess I ate too much and had a bloated feeling all night. :frown: Serves me right.
    I tried to be within my calories today, but somehow I started nibbling after tea and ate two very small highly calorific Caramel Slices, then went back an hour later to eat a mini battenburg, :explode: I should know better battenburg of all things . :explode:

I will have to be careful the next few weeks as # 1 daughter is away with the dogs looking after someone’s flat overnight, so I will not be walking the dogs with her on a morning as she’ll be walking them before she drops them off home to go to work. Not sure about the evening walk yet. If she doesn’t have to be at the flat until later, we might get a walk in before she goes. We’ll have to see how it goes. I should plan some work outs for the mornings to make up for it shouldn’t I. No excuses Viv - can’t say you don’t have time.

Mimi sorry about the elopement, but I’m sure you will be supportive of them once they come home to “face the music” and at least you like your new daughter in law. Did anyone else know about it? Was it planned or did they just do it on the spur of the moment. He probably doesn’t realise how hurt you are.

:flowerforyou: Jackie hope your shoulder improves. How’s the respite care coming along for when you go on holiday.

Mookiemoo hope you get something sorted soon, pain can be so debilitating. Glad we take your mind off things.:smile:

:flowerforyou: Chiclet it is the way your son has been brought up that is making him a responsible father, so be proud of him for that. Also as someone mentioned there will be a new grandchild for you to love.:smile:

It’s getting late, so I will say goodnight :yawn:

BFN

:heart: Viv :heart:

PS just read your post Jackie it's really good I might copy it to send out to our book/wine tasting/gossip club :bigsmile: but wanted to say I have re read my post and it made me giggle when I said daughter was "away with the dogs" away with the fairies came to mind :laugh: ( I think that is me half of the time) :laugh: what I meant to say was that she is sleeping over at the flat and taking the dogs with her. I am so tired I can't think straight so I'm away to my bed. Night Night
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: Jackie I just read your post and it is gving me a good laugh to end my work day.

Talk with you all tomorow.

Laura:smile:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Viv,
    Better "away with the dogs" than "going to the dogs":noway: --an expression in the States that basically means headed for you know where!!:laugh:

Amanda,
    Here is my contribution to the "hairy" question you posed. I use tweezers on a few coarser, peskier ones that come back bristly, but for the upper lip and area right around the lower lip, and for eyebrow shaping, I use a "personal trimmer." They cost about $10 US, and are available in most drug, variety stores. They have a little shaving head that moves from side to side, very gentle, no cutting, and operate on a AA or AAA battery. If you aren't sure what I am referring to, here is a link to one I found on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Conair-Ladies-2-in-1-Personal-Trimmer/dp/B0007OP3L0

The comb mentioned is handly if you have really bushy brows, otherwise, you won't need it.

I only have a sec, so will post more later.

Barb
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello all you Moms in this forum,

As I was reading the last set of posts a thought dawned on me. Communications aren't the same as when we were growing up. Facebook, Twitter, Emails, individual cell phones that do everything except the dishes are all signs of the newer generations.

Maybe these kiddos aren't being as unthoughtful as we think they are. Maybe they are just communicating according to what is polite for their generations not ours. Anyway a thought.

Anyway, I will hope so for all of us.

Jeannie
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    barbie - it must have just killed you not to exercise. I remember when I broke that ***** bone and had to wear that stupid stupid stupid boot, how it absolutely killed me not to be able to exercise for 7 whole weeks. In the end, tho, it was worth it, and it'll be worth it for you, too.

mimi - I know how much you wanted to be at your son's wedding. As long as he and his wife are happy, that's really the important thing. I agree with Kacki - I too don't think boys/men think at times. Just recently Vince started to volunteer at the humane society hoping to get over the loss of PJ. Anyway, and please don't ask me to explain this, but he was very secretive about it. He says that he wanted to surprise me. To me, this isn't such a big surprise. Now if he'd gotten tickets to an around the world cruise -- now that would be a surprise. I'm thinking that I'd like to do it too but I can't help but wonder if deep inside he had a reason for not wanting to tell me. Oh, I have to thank you. Admitted, when I'm making dinner I usually want to snack (well, really, I ALWAYS want to snack) but thanks to your great inspiration, I am still snacking but now I'm snacking on veges. Like tonight as I was making the chicken, I had some carrots.

Welcome dgrouix - you'll get lots of good advice and tips here.

tiarapants/Amanda - WTG girl on the too-big dress. I'm so proud of you! Looks like another shopping venture is necessary....lol Have a great time going with your girls. When Bryan graduated from college 2 years ago, he got an oak tree sapling. Since he was planning on going to SK, and we'd just bought the house without any landscaping, we took the sapling. It's in our front lawn. From what I understand, oak trees take a long time to mature. But it is living, which means it must be hearty since I am able to kill everything except weeds just by looking at it. I usually use a cream to get the facial hair off. Need to use it about every 4 months or so.

Jackie - sometimes I think the scales are wrong. There have been times when I've weighed myself, then reweighed myself the next minute and it gives me a different reading! The WiiFit says I gained 1lb from yesterday. I'm thinking it's because Bryan made something with sauerkraut and he was going to throw out half the can. Well...I just have this thing about throwing out perfectly good food so I finished it up. Sauerkraut may be low in calories, but it's high in sodium. So I'm thinking that's why the gain.

You know, from doing all that hula hooping yesterday, today my hips are sore. Guess I need to do it more often.

Did an hour and a half of step today (Mon). Tomorrow I think I'll do the Jari Love Ripped to the Core DVD that I just got. Wed. is going to be water aerobics, Thurs I'm going to start my 4 more sessions with that personal trainer, and then on Fri I think I'll do some HIIT. Sat. is yoga then Sun I'm thinking that I'll do the Wii Fit hula hoop again. Boy, I have that all worked out!

Cindy - a 40lb tumor! That's something I've only seen on TV. Your daughter did wonderful work

chicklet - how I hear ya. Got just about the same type of situation here, only fortunately dd#3 doesn't have a baby. But she is with an abusive bf and his family enables him. She was down here, we asked his uncle not to send her $$ to return -- so what did he do?? They will do everything possible to keep her near them. On the bright side -- I must have raised her right if they feel that she's such a good influence. She recently applied (and got) a job. Really, the tips would have been higher, which would have meant that she'd have been able to get a better car and a better place to stay. My bet is that her SFB bf talked her out of it. He's such a control freak! Sadie really misses PJ, so many times we've found him in the back bedrooms where PJ spent most of the time. Wish we could somehow tell him that PJ isn't coming back.

You know, yesterday I had a meeting. There is this one lady who is quite overweight. I know that she has medical problems, but it looks to me like she's just letting herself go. We went out to dinner the other night, she had this veggie platter, and she got this creamed spinach in add'n to potato chips. At the meeting I'd made some zucchini brownies because I'd promised her hubby that I'd make them for him. She kept saying over and over "Bob really doesn't need them". Wish I could get her to realize that it's not so much what you eat but how it's prepared. Now these only had whole wheat flour in them (no white). Another lady made this macaroni salad and a box cake mix. She had seconds on the macaroni salad. Gee...with the mayo and white pasta. But who am I? Another lady brought cantaloupe, this lady didn't have any cantaloupe, but she did eat the trail mix that was there. I also brought a sweet potato pizza, she didn't have any of it. I'm just worried about her, I know she has problems with her knees and the added weight isn't helping any. She does like to entertain, the last time we were at her house she had hot dogs and hamburgers. Admitted, she did have chicken breasts (that's what I ate in add'n to the veggie tray that I brought and the fruit tray.). Lots of things she makes are fat free/sugar free. See, I'm not into that. To me, when the mfgrs take out the fat, they need to replace the flavor so they increase the sugar. And sugar free things are usually something that's made in a lab. Give me the real thing, just not a whole lot of it. But that's just me.

We're supposed to go to a social this Sat. with the Newcomers. It's being held at this apt. complex. But the good thing is that they have a pool so they've said if you want to bring your bathing suit you can. It's supposed to be around 95, so I just might be able to get some swimming in.

Congrats laniv. What a great accomplishment to lose weight while on vacation!

rjadams/Robin - congrats to your daughter. I'm sure you're just as excited as she is

Welcome Peggy! Don't just pop in -- POST!!!....lol

Michele
  • staffingfool
    staffingfool Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Susan and I'm 54 years old. This is very difficult for me because I've tried to lose -- in fact planned on it every Monday morning. But something always sidetracked me. I weigh 200 lbs and this is the most I've ever weighed other than my pregnancy weights. I need to lose now for health issues. Looking forward to making new friends .

Susan aka StaffingFool :)
  • ainslieglen
    ainslieglen Posts: 110
    Options
    Hi Susan (Staffingfool).....Welcome to a great group of women! Please add me as a friend if you'd like to:flowerforyou:

Elizabeth(ainslieglen)
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Welcome Susan,
    Gotta ask about the login "Staffingfool"--do you work in HR??:bigsmile: or is there some other significance to your login? Inquiring minds, :blushing: you know. AKA "nosy":wink::laugh: :laugh:

Someone asked how they missed Amanda's shoes. She posted a link to a pic of them in this thread a few days ago, so if you go to her avatar in this thread on one of her posts, and left click on the little post number, it will give you a list of all her recent posts, and you should be able to find it.

Heard a joke today at the hairdressers. A male customer said he stopped for gas and a guy got out of his car. He was dressed in overalls and a John Deere hat, and looked about as "rural" as you could get in these parts. He started talking about the Gulf oil spill, and asked the first fellow if he had heard that the well had been stopped from leaking. He replied that he had heard. The guy in the overalls said. "Well, if they had asked me, I could have told them what to do right after it started, and for sure it would have stopped the well right away." Of course, the first guy was dying to know, so he asked, "What would you do?"

"Mr. Overall's" replied. "It's simple, put a wedding ring around that well and it would have stopped putting out inside of TWO WEEKS!!":noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Even my 94 year old mother thought that was funny. She was with me when it was told as we both go to get our hair cut at the same time.

BTW, Barbiecat sent me an email today, assuring me she was willing to go to Starbucks with me without being belted into her seat when she is here on Friday !! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I have to go and make my chicken and broccoli for dinner tonight. Have a good night all.

Barb
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    Michele, I am so with you when it comes to using fat-free foods. I indulge once in awhile but I keep it to a minimum as they aren't healthy.

To the new folks, a big welcome! This is a wonderful bunch of women, each with her own story to share. I love learning from them and, most of all, getting their support.

Robin, good news from Congress. I'm so happy.

I'm officially over it as far as my son's elopement goes. I talked to Mark. He really was clueless. Men! And boys! (At 38, to me, he's still a boy!!) Thank you all for providing a listening ear.
    :flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I took the advice of many loving friends and considered getting my knee x rayed to see what was going on with it.....I went to the chiropractor and after his examination he said that he didn't think an x ray was necessary......there was some damage but it should heal in six to eight weeks.......i have to continue putting ice on it and limit my exercise for awhile, but I don't have to sit still, I can walk a little and ride the exercise bike a little
    no dancing for awhile----I am very excited at the news and willing to take it slow
    I'm so glad that it will heal itself and I don't have to sit still all the time to do it.

:flowerforyou: on Thursday we'll be driving south for an overnight on business.....on Friday morning Barb will pick me up at the hotel and we'll have about two hours to spend together.....I think we'll be able to walk to Starbucks but we won't go on the long walk that we had originally planned....but she won't have to tie me into the chair to keep me from walking too much

:flowerforyou: DH just left to take the dogs to the dog park, they have been so disappointed at not being able to go......maybe by next week I'll be able to take them even if I don't walk while they play.

:flowerforyou: for our date today we had lunch at a little sandwich shop with outdoor seating.....my sandwich was smoked salmon, hummus, tomato, cucumber, sprouts, and jalapeno mustard on multi grain bread....then we came home and watched the DVD "Green Zone"

:flowerforyou: Mimi, your ability to let go of your distress over your son's elopement is such a healthy response...thanks for sharing the whole story with us

:flowerforyou: Susan, welcome to the group.....I look forward to getting to know you

:flowerforyou: Michele, thank you for the encouraging words.

:bigsmile: thank you all for your friendship and encouragement....I love reading what you write every day
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: hugs:heart::heart: :heart: :heart:
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    Barbie, I'm happy the news about your knee is good. 6-8 weeks seems long but it will fly by. How fun for you and Barb to get together. I'll look forward to hearing about your visit. Thanks for always being there and being encouraging. :heart:

A correction: I said I didn't like fat-free foods. That came out all wrong. :laugh: Of course I like fat-free foods. Just not when they come from a box that's labeled fat free. All the wonderful fruits, vegetables, etc., etc., that are naturally fat free are terrific. I eat those all the time.

It's the stuff Michael Pollan (Food Rules) calls Edible Food-like Substances that I stay away from. Food manufacturers put out more than 17,000 products every year trying to get us to eat more. Those are not folks who care whether we stay healthy. That's not where the money is. :noway:

xx
  • weaklink109
    Options
    So I am home now, and as soon as I try to post, Mr. Pepper decides it is time to relocate to my lap.:noway: Yeah, this is gonna work REALLY well--NOT!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :ohwell:

Barbie, Seeing the title of your movie "Green Zone" made me flash momentarily on the idea that someone made a movie about my refrigerator prior to its last cleaning!!!:noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I am glad you had a professional take a look at your knee. Let the healing begin!!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Mimi, I am glad you talked to your son and cleared the air. Now you can concentrate on building a relationship with the new DIL.
    I also share your opinion of "edible food-like substances"--this actually simplifies grocery shopping a great deal.

Robin, What a great story about your daughter. A very memorable proposal, and a good sign that she has chosen a guy who can think and plan effectively for a special day.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Well, I am fading, so hoping to get to bed early tonight.:yawn: BFN

Barb
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Morning ladies

A quick post to say that as no dogs to walk this morning I dug out an old fitness video YES VIDEO :laugh: It's the Shape Challenge - amazing results in only 10 wks (Day 1 today) so if I do this for the next 8 wks at least I should maybe notice a difference. Wish me luck.

DD has come home this morning with 1 very relieved doggy, Frankie took a while to settle last night but he's had his breakfast and seems to be okay, DD will be setting off for work soon so we'll see if he gets stressed that she's gone. Mind you he absolutely loves DH you should see the greeting Frankie gives him when he returns from his one night out a week :smile:

Must dash need to get ready for work and DH is getting up by the sound of it.

Feeling quite good this morning - hope it lasts :bigsmile:

Chat again soon.

Viv :heart: