Spanx

Options
Anyone tried this product to help you hold in your tummy? I think I was born to always have a tummy and old time girdles used to be the death of me when I worked years ago. Or should I just put up with it and say "Oh Well".

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I lift. My body has built it's own invisible spanx. Either start lifting or buy spanx. Just remember, at some point spanx have to be taken off.
  • gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    They're kind of a hassle, but I'm grateful for them on special occasions when I'm really trying to look nice. Whether your tummy is slowly disappearing, or if it's here to stay, there's nothing wrong with the help that Spanx can provide.

There's different brands and stuff. It can be a bit of work to find the right size and brand for your body. Good luck!
  • Moviegal77
    Moviegal77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I would say leave it. They are a pain in the bum and when I tried it a few years ago I found it uncomfortable. The back part would not stay still and kept rolling down, so it looked like an extra roll on my back. But if you are really want to try there are cheaper versions pretty munch in every store now, I think even Walmart sells some versions.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I lift. My body has built it's own invisible spanx. Either start lifting or buy spanx. Just remember, at some point spanx have to be taken off.

I love this. Put in the effort, and save your money!!!!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I used it for the dress I wore for my son's wedding. It can come in handy, on occasion.

ETA - I should add that I wore the body suit kind that had an opening in the crotch.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Only if needed under thin material. They get hot and uncomfortable!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    i havent but would definetly try
  • sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've used a similar product I got at target when Im dressing up on special occasions. Not terribly comfy, but they do the job to smooth things out a bit.
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Secret makes a style that isnt too bad to wear, and half the price.

Some times you just need to feel "held together" under certain fabrics, like nothing is going to shake around and make you feel exposed. If you are buying them to hide a tummy or reduce a size...save your cash.
    If you need them to make you feel more confident in a particular outfit...go for it! Do what ever you need to to feel more confident =)
  • valligal
    valligal Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Thanks for not answering the question and not helping!

I've worn spanks. To avoid rolls, get the bodysuit but it is a pain to go to the restroom and can get hot (both mentioned before). Another thing is to get the shorts in a bigger size than you need and pull them up and tuck them into your bra.

I bye the spanks-like/compression camisoles. They are spandex, or spandex with cloth over them. You can get them anywhere--Walmart is usually out and the Kohl's/Meier/Target can be pricey so I look for them at T.J. Maxx and Marshall's - they are usually $9. Since you pull them on over your head and down over your hips the smooth out the back and front. This works for me. Good luck!
  • mrswoodstock
    mrswoodstock Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i just bought spanx brand high waisted undergarment and i LOVE it! (i was lucky and got it at Gabral brothers for 6$ when they are $30 elsewhere) i also got a spanx-like top were you wear your own bra from Walmart and LOVE it as well. it pulled me in at least two maybe three inches
  • adrienne_ut1
    adrienne_ut1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't like the type that are like briefs with control top tummy panels but I do love the tank top like ones. There is one that scoops down under the bra in the front but has full back coverage that I swear by - wear one underneath my clothing every day to work. It keeps the belly fat smooth and they are not nearly as uncomfortable as the shorts/briefs in my opinion. But of course working on that inner girdle so hopefully I can one day throw them out! :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I like them for under dresses and special occasions, they hold in my "pooch".

My super skinny boss told me the other day that she wears them since having kids, because they stop the wobble, too.

While lifting might eventually help me in the wobble department, for the time being spanks are my best friend.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

I've worn spanks. To avoid rolls, get the bodysuit but it is a pain to go to the restroom and can get hot (both mentioned before). Another thing is to get the shorts in a bigger size than you need and pull them up and tuck them into your bra.

I bye the spanks-like/compression camisoles. They are spandex, or spandex with cloth over them. You can get them anywhere--Walmart is usually out and the Kohl's/Meier/Target can be pricey so I look for them at T.J. Maxx and Marshall's - they are usually $9. Since you pull them on over your head and down over your hips the smooth out the back and front. This works for me. Good luck!

I offered an alternative (and arguably better) solution. Plus, you didn't even start this thread so don't complain about answers you don't like. This is a website for weight loss/fitness. If anything, this thread is irrelevant and should be placed under "chit-chat, fun and games" because it has nothing to do with weight loss. If you lost weight and started lifting you wouldn't need spanx.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Whoever is ignorant to assume people who wear them just need to work out- wow!

Anyways spanx are made to smooth lines and even if someone DID work out they still may have parts of the body that need smoothing. Also some women get larger belly buttons after having children, or loose skin from losing weight and might want to hide that.

They are a great product and serve as a great replacement for the slip. I used them for a wedding I stood up in, it's tacky to not wear something under a formal gown like a slip or a base.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Holy Ignorant... clearly you are crabby and need to eat!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Spanxs are a step up comfort wise from the old fashioned girdles I wore in the past. I use the high waisted shorts and an open bust tank. The tanks help keep the shorts from rolling too badly. They don't have the same strength as an actual girdle and they can be a bit warm.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I wear my Spanx on occasion when a slim-fitting dress needs to look extra smooth. It your Spanx roll down, they aren't the right size. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be wearing them to my daughter's wedding in August. Even though I'm slim now, sometimes snugging everything in looks better.
  • SarahDavs
    SarahDavs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The Miraclesuit Hi-Waisted Brief is great AND it's half the price of a high wasted spanx brand garment. I also love the Cupid brand high waisted brief, you can find it at walmart for around $10, and it really holds in my tummy very well. I make sure to get firm control when I buy both the Miraclesuit brand and Cupid brand. The one time I shelled out the money for spanx, I was surprised and disappointed in the garments performance. Especially knowing I could get a better performing garment for half the price.
  • SarahDavs
    SarahDavs Posts: 161 Member
    Options

I offered an alternative (and arguably better) solution. Plus, you didn't even start this thread so don't complain about answers you don't like. This is a website for weight loss/fitness. If anything, this thread is irrelevant and should be placed under "chit-chat, fun and games" because it has nothing to do with weight loss. If you lost weight and started lifting you wouldn't need spanx.
    Weight loss takes time, and in the meantime some of us need a little help.