baked fries, that are actually crispy!

Options
imagymrat
imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
I've also made these fries with sweet potatoes. A little bit of work, but they really are good!

Ingredients
■5 Large Roasting Potatoes, or sweet potatoes
■2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
■Salt and Pepper to Taste

Method
1.Begin with some nice roasting potatoes as shown here. While you’re doing that – lets preheat the oven to 400 degrees

2.Then Peel and Wash the potatoes to prepare for slicing

3.Here is my tool I use for slicing a mandoline. If you don’t have this or a mandoline just use your knife and be sure to cut the french fries even in size to ensure even cooking

4.Once sliced, place the potatoes in a bowl and cover with water

5.I like to have the potatoes soak in salted water for about 30 minutes to release some of the starch and allow the fries to crisp up in the oven

6.After the 30 minutes elapsed – it is time we dry the potatoes. THIS IS A CRUCIAL STEP. If the potatoes are not completely dry, they will not crisp up as nicely and the moisture will cause them to steam in the oven.

7.Lets go ahead and lay the potatoes on some parchment paper, season them with salt and pepper and brush some olive oil on the tops of them. Once in the oven, ensure that you turn them periodically to ensure even browning. Bake for about 45 minutes or until golden brown

Replies

• 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Great - BUT - "Here is the tool I use for slicing" - did I miss something? What do you use. I do have a mandoline but just wondering.....
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I bake a potatoe in the microwave ,then cut it into wedges sprinkle with the smallest amount of olive oil then put some sea salt on then put them in the halogen oven they are to die for and come out lovely and crispy but fluffy inside and so quick and easy to make . I leave the skins on best part I think .
  • bcrist
    bcrist Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I love sweet potato fries but can never get them crispy. I'll try it out and see how it goes.
  • imagymrat
    Options
    Great - BUT - "Here is the tool I use for slicing" - did I miss something? What do you use. I do have a mandoline but just wondering.....

lol..I was distracted by my puppy peeing on my carpet! lol..I did the edit..thanks!:blushing:
  • onyxlibra7
    onyxlibra7 Posts: 93
    Options
    Bump
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    [6.After the 30 minutes elapsed – it is time we dry the potatoes. THIS IS A CRUCIAL STEP. If the potatoes are not completely dry, they will not crisp up as nicely and the moisture will cause them to steam in the oven.

]

How long does it take for them to dry? what is the overall process time for this? I have a feeling I will only be able to make this on the weekends since dinner during the weeks needs to be 30 minutes or less for us. But you bet I WILL be trying it this weekend!
  • aprueitt
    aprueitt Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    I bet they would be good adding some old bay. I think I may try this tonight.

thanks imagymrat!
  • imagymrat
    Options
    [6.After the 30 minutes elapsed – it is time we dry the potatoes. THIS IS A CRUCIAL STEP. If the potatoes are not completely dry, they will not crisp up as nicely and the moisture will cause them to steam in the oven.

]

How long does it take for them to dry? what is the overall process time for this? I have a feeling I will only be able to make this on the weekends since dinner during the weeks needs to be 30 minutes or less for us. But you bet I WILL be trying it this weekend!

I put the potatoes before paper towels and squeeze out the water, usually takes a few times, until the towels are no longer wet.
  • Alleghany
    Alleghany Posts: 200
    Options
    Wow!!! I know what I'm doing w/my sweet potatoes tonight!!! This is such great info as I have been racking my brain on how to make my healthy fries crispy. Big Flower for you!!! :flowerforyou:
  • startfromscratch
    Options
    This is a great. Loved your tips. Thanks for sharing!
  • MrsSki
    MrsSki Posts: 196
    Options
    I am so stealing this! Thanks for posting!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    to cut down on oven time, you can parboil the potatoes, drain, pat dry, brush w/olive oil and broil. this is how we make our snack potatoes.
  • sweetn3ss
    sweetn3ss Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Oh this is for sure on the menu tonight. Gonna have steamed Tilapia fillets and sweet potatoes fries. Oven is on now!

P.S.

What is up with the "BUMPS"
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options

P.S.

What is up with the "BUMPS"

People "bump" topics so that they show up in the my topics section and they can go back and read them later :smile:
  • sorellabella
    sorellabella Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Bump :flowerforyou:

Thanks for posting...I am going to try them this week!
  • KeriD
    KeriD Posts: 324
    Options
    love sweet potato fries......yum and thanks!
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    These sound awesome!!!

bump!
  • Dive_Girl
    Dive_Girl Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I will try....thank you! Have you tried adding different seasonings like chili powder or sweet paprika?
  • mooz
    mooz Posts: 101
    Options
    I will try....thank you! Have you tried adding different seasonings like chili powder or sweet paprika?

I make potatoes like this all the time...I LOVE the Mrs. Dash seasonings - no salt! My dad likes them with just a bit of crushed rosemary.