Does your gym have a "no food" policy?

Options
Or do you think it should?

Seriously, I went to the gym at 6am this morning and some woman comes in, morbidly obese, with a bag full of McDonalds. The whole sausage/bacon/egg muffin, hash browns, coffee etc. And then sat down in one of those recumbant bikes while barely peddling and proceeded to eat the whole lot.

The smell of the food alone made me want to hurl. I was trying to run and all I could smell was the grease.

Now I have no issue with people who come to the gym and don't go all out on the equipment. Everyone's got their limits. But bringing in crap like that and eating it on the machines is going way over the line in my opinion.

I wanted to say to her "yeah, this is why you're fat", but I kept my mouth shut and just finished my workout. I was tempted to have a word to the gym staff afterwards about food in the gym, but I don't know what their policy is on it, as I don't think it's usually an issue. I don't even see people at my gym eating protein bars, the most you'll get is people drinking their shakes, sports drinks, water.

Am I overreacting here? Or do you think it's acceptable for people to bring this crap into the gym and sit down on the equipment and eat it?

Replies

• bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    would have made a great picture!
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Meh people can do what they want. It is none of my business.

That does seem odd though....
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    My gym sells food, and smoothies.
  • carlaunderconstruction
    Options
    I've never heard about a food policy at the gym, but as you said normally you don't see people eating. I would, it would really bother me if someone was eating McDonalds in the gym. Honestly if I'm working out for a couple of hours I sneak into the locker room for a few bites of an energy ball/ protein bar.
  • demonlullaby
    demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    my gym use to have free pizza day every first friday of the month.
  • iceman7840
    iceman7840 Posts: 110
    Options
    Wow! I am the quiet type who always minds my own business and keep to myself but I probably would have had some words with her.

I'm guilty of bringing my yogurt and some fruit with me on mornings I am running too late to eat it at home but I don't sit on the equipment and eat it.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    What she was eating made me roll my eyes, but the fact that she was allowed to eat at a machine...? Wtf, Charlie. Water and Gatorade are go-aheads, but chow? Come on.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what my gym's policy is but I've never seem anyone eat there. I really don't think it should be allowed. It's bad enough having other peoples sweat let alone their greasy fingers and crumbs making the equipment gross. You want to eat then go to a restaurant not the gym.
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Meh people can do what they want. It is none of my business.

To a point, maybe. But I would have thought there'd be some kind of health and safety issue relating to getting grease and food scraps all over the equipment.
    My gym sells food, and smoothies.

As does mine. Yet this is the first time I've actually ever seen anybody eating inside the gym rather than in the lobby where the food is actually sold.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Our gym has a "clear liquids only" (AKA-- water) in the gym area ... This really applies mostly to the aerobic equipment because if you spill a sugary drink on that, it will make it sticky and even get on some of the moving parts in some cases... not to mention pests... That being said, many of us do bring shakes into the gym area when we are working out on strength training and nothing is ever said about that... I think that is sort of expected... I have never seen anybody bring food into the area though... That being said, I think that any food that produces a strong odor such as what you are describing is not only a potential pest problem but is also a problem for the other members who must endure this... In that sense, I think our Gym's policy as it seems to be carried out is best.
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My gym has a small area with a sofa and a little table with a few chairs where I have seen a few people eat but I have never seen anyone eating while on the equipment. I've never seen anyone do anything except drink
    water while using the equipment.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I think it's ridiculous and dangerous to be eating while on and using the equipment (the only exception I can think of is if the person has an acute medical condition that requires immediate access to a small snack in an emergency).
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    My gym sells smoothies and protein bars. There are cafe tables near the entrance where I have seen people eating salad and sandwiches. I myself will have a peanut butter sandwich sitting on the bench in the locker room after my workout.

At my old gym in NYC there were several women who would bring food from the street vendors (chicken & rice, gyros) and eat it in the locker room or on the benches along the edge of the aerobics area. While I found it silly to be eating such heavy, crappy food immediately before or after exercising, they could eat whatever they wanted- not my problem. I just really hated the smell. I was really surprised not more complained. I don''t even like the oder of someone drinking coffee next to me while on the treadmill.
  • mrshoneydew
    mrshoneydew Posts: 253
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that even if there isn't a sign hanging somewhere in the gym, that they must have a policy against eating food ON the equipment. Not only is it inappropriate and messy, but it's also a health hazard. Something could fall on the treadmill and a person could slip, or a person could be eating and choke while exercising (totally dangerous).

I think healthy snacks and a smoothie bar is awesome to have available at a gym, but most gyms that have these things have a place where people can sit and enjoy them. In my personal opinion, I don't think McDonalds belongs in the gym but people can eat what they want that's their business, but I think it's completely out of line to be eating while using the equipment (only water should be allowed). Do that before or after. Sheesh.

And yeah, my gym does the pizza night once a month thing too and I have never shown up for that. To me, that's like bringing beer to an AA meeting because it's a special occasion. Some people at the gym are trying to change their diet and lives and dangling that in front of their faces I think is kind of unfair.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    We dont have a rule at my gym...but we have a members area...so if i ever want to snack pre or post working out i will eat there. It is a odd choice of what to eat at the gym...but I guess thats her call...but I am surprised if the staff knew that they didnt say anything...maybe email the gym to give feedback.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    WHAT

thats appalling!! ewww! was that part of a joke or something? seriously, maccas at the gym? i'm in shock.

And yeah.. we have a sign of "gym etiquette" and one of them is "no food", although, I've seen people consume the sneaky protein bar haha
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Nope I don't think there is such a rule.. maybe because no one expects anyone to bring food there? O.o
    You could have asked the staff about it.