Food allergy issues--recipe suggestions please?

Options
One of my sons has a condition called eosinophilic esophagitus which is related to his multiple food allergies. He is allergic to (cow's milk) dairy, eggs, soy, nuts, fish/shellfish, garlic, tomatoes, peas, and potatoes. He is NOT allergic to gluten or wheat.

Can anybody help with suggestions for healthy food that I can make for him? I have had to be very creative (vegan recipes for baking that don't use eggs or egg substitute (which is mostly potato starch, to which he is allergic) using things like apricot jam for meat sauces (try finding a meat sauce on the market that does not contain tomato paste, OR soy, OR garlic. It's fun!) finding/making breads which do not contain soybean oil, buying (expensive!) goat's milk, butter, cheese and ice cream so he can have SOME treats, etc. I've adapted some recipes for him with some success, but I'm running out of ideas
He can and does eat most vegetables and fruits, most meats, and rice, sweet potatoes and corn are all acceptable starches. I'd just like some new ideas/recipes to try so I can give him a few more options.

Replies

• dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i really, really like stuffed bell peppers. if he's ok with grains, one of my favorite things to do is to take a bell pepper, cut the top off and core it, roast it for a bit and then stuff it with quinoa or lentils (you could totally do rice if he's ok with that too), and then onions, seasonings, etc. and some chicken or steak. kind of like a burrito without the tortilla. plus, they make good finger foods and can be fun for kids to eat.

also, you might want to try savory pancakes or crepes. you can fill/top those with a zillion different things and it would be something safe as far as a carbohydrate is concerned because you control what goes in the pancake batter.

hope that helps :)
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Hi! My son also has the same condition. So far, we haven't been able to pinpoint the cause. He's been tested for food allergies but they have come back negative. I'm sorry-I don't have any ideas for recipes but just wanted to let you know you are not alone with dealing with the issue. From what I understand, it's becoming more and more common.
    I do wish you and your son the best of luck! Take care!:flowerforyou:
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Look up the Paleo diet - I think you can find some good things there.

It's no dairy, no soy, no carb, no processed sugars.

It's mainly meat, veggies, nuts, and fruit (I'm sure you can deduct the nuts for him). I was on the diet for 5 months and lost nearly 35 lbs (I was eating a TON, but since it's all natural foods, I was eating way healthier and had no bloat).

I ate a ton of ground beef with stirfry veggies (broccoli, carrots, kale, spinach, anything GREEN was allowed in large amounts), and I was also allowed all the berries I could eat.

Here is the recipe website, not sure what you can use out of it, but worth a shot

http://www.paleoplan.com/recipes/
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    One of my sons has a condition called eosinophilic esophagitus which is related to his multiple food allergies. He is allergic to (cow's milk) dairy, eggs, soy, nuts, fish/shellfish, garlic, tomatoes, peas, and potatoes. He is NOT allergic to gluten or wheat.

Can anybody help with suggestions for healthy food that I can make for him? I have had to be very creative (vegan recipes for baking that don't use eggs or egg substitute (which is mostly potato starch, to which he is allergic) using things like apricot jam for meat sauces (try finding a meat sauce on the market that does not contain tomato paste, OR soy, OR garlic. It's fun!) finding/making breads which do not contain soybean oil, buying (expensive!) goat's milk, butter, cheese and ice cream so he can have SOME treats, etc. I've adapted some recipes for him with some success, but I'm running out of ideas
    He can and does eat most vegetables and fruits, most meats, and rice, sweet potatoes and corn are all acceptable starches. I'd just like some new ideas/recipes to try so I can give him a few more options.

For eggs you can use a "flax egg". 1 tbsp flax + 2 tbsp water = 1 egg. - mix and let gel, then use as an "egg" in your recipes. I believe you can also use chia seeds with the same result. It doesn't work for every recipe, but it works for the common ones like cookies, muffins etc. If there is a large amount of eggs needed you might be out of luck.

You can use coconut aminos in place of soy sauce in stir frys etc. Its a bit sweeter, but it does make a good soy sauce replacement. If you google "Paleo teriyaki sauce" you'll find a few recipes for it.

Earth Balance is a dairy free margarine, and you can use any milk in place of dairy milk in baking. It sometimes adds sweetness (and you can usually get unsweetened versions), but it doesn't change the recipe otherwise.

And this is a good book. The recipes are gluten/wheat free which I know you don't need but they are nut and egg free also, and its not just baking, there are meals in there too: http://www.amazon.ca/Allergy-Proof-Recipes-Kids-ebook/dp/B004PLNSDQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1367199373&sr=8-4&keywords=allergy+kids
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options

For eggs you can use a "flax egg". 1 tbsp flax + 2 tbsp water = 1 egg. - mix and let gel, then use as an "egg" in your recipes. I believe you can also use chia seeds with the same result. It doesn't work for every recipe, but it works for the common ones like cookies, muffins etc. If there is a large amount of eggs needed you might be out of luck.

You can use coconut aminos in place of soy sauce in stir frys etc. Its a bit sweeter, but it does make a good soy sauce replacement. If you google "Paleo teriyaki sauce" you'll find a few recipes for it.

Earth Balance is a dairy free margarine, and you can use any milk in place of dairy milk in baking. It sometimes adds sweetness (and you can usually get unsweetened versions), but it doesn't change the recipe otherwise.

And this is a good book. The recipes are gluten/wheat free which I know you don't need but they are nut and egg free also, and its not just baking, there are meals in there too: http://www.amazon.ca/Allergy-Proof-Recipes-Kids-ebook/dp/B004PLNSDQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1367199373&sr=8-4&keywords=allergy+kids
  • bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    our son has EE too. Perhaps we should start a group about this???
    There is a great book called "Cooking for Isiah" written by a pastry chef whom has a son with gluten and dairy intolerance. You can use any flour that works for you all. I have modified several of the recipes as at this time we are avoiding beef and chicken as well as several other items.

OP- today I made marinated turkey (any italian/balsamic type dressing works well for ease of use, or you can make your own) cooked this, added pinapple chunks with some of the unsweetened juice, added chunks of red bell peppers and served over rice.

For the gal whose son was tested for food allergies - have you met with a gastroenterologist yet?

Best to you all dealing with this. Quite challenging to say the least - understanding your walk. :flowerforyou:
  • matthewcorb
    Options
    Have you ever considered going Paleo? It's mostly meats and veggies, stuff that your son is probably not allergic to. There are tons of recipes here that you can follow. I hope you enjoy it!

http://cooklikeacaveman.com/paleo-cookbook-review/

It's also very healthy, it's something that you and your husband will also enjoy.
  • athenalove46
    athenalove46 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you have ever heard of the GAPS diet (Gut and Psychology Syndrome diet) by Dr. Natasha Campbell McBride. It is a temporary healing diet (longest time recommended is 2 years) with a lot of eliminations and healing components and is known to help and even cure conditions such as what your son is going through.
  • TaraRyaz
    TaraRyaz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My nephew has a similar situation. He is 4 and is beginning to work with an allergist to slowly introduce some of these allergens into his diet.

Breakfast can be rough. You can try grating apples, sweet potatoes, zucchini...or some combo of the three and adding flour & applesauce to make a pancake. Baby food purees can make a good, quick egg replacement in recipes like this as well. And it's an easy way to add new flavors to things. It can spruce up oatmeal cereals as well.
  • rosered93
    rosered93 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Full fat coconut milk can be really easily made into ice cream and would be much cheaper, I imagine, than store-bought goat's milk ice cream (store-bought coconut milk ice cream, however, is ridiculously expensive.). Likewise coconut oil in lieu of butter and cartoned coconut milk for milk (although they may add stabilizers derived from soy, something to note.)
    Chickpea flour aka besan can be used to make a super quick flatbread (water, flour, oil, hot pan--boom, 5 minutes to tortillas/wraps; adding a bit of flax meal or psyllium husk to the batter may help it bind) or can be used to make socca (or farinata), a panbread which is delicious and very easy. It can also be used to make a sort of tofu--search "Burmese chickpea tofu". Something to try, and it's dirt-cheap, particularly if you're near any Asian grocery stores, as it's prevalent in Indian cuisine.
    Sunflower seed butter (assuming its just nuts, not seeds, that are the issue) would be a simple swap for recipes calling for peanut butter or almond butter.
    Folks have mentioned flax eggs--chia seeds can do the same thing.
    Seitan, if you don't know it, is another classic vegan meat analogue, made out of wheat gluten (sometimes recipes will throw in chickpea flour, too) that can take on any flavour, as would tofu. And it has the chew of meat and is, nutritionally, primarily protein which might help with appeal/satiety for other family members as well. He's not allergic to meat, but it's another thing to try :)
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks, i really appreciate the suggestions. I've gone through some of the ideas with my son and he's excited to try them. It's tough when there are so many allergies. Unfortunately coconut milk and chickpeas are not options for him because he's allergic to ALL nuts (including coconuts) and allergic to peas. We have a health food store nearby that carries a lot of alternatives, but unfortunately many of the alternatives contain something else that he's allergic to. I have never heard of Seitan, but I will check at our store to see if they have it.
    I will try the flax/chia eggs for baking as well. We've ordered a couple of the allergy cookbooks and will hopefully find some more options for him.

And thank you all so much. I really feel encouraged just hearing that I am not alone and that others understand. So many people don't seem to get it and are unhelpful or unsympathetic. Yes, I know that there are people who are worse off. Yes, I know that we are lucky he's not anaphylactic to anything. Yes, I should be grateful that he's not gravely/fatally ill. And I am. But my child is still hurting, in non-stop excruciating pain, I can't do a d*mn thing about it, and the doctors are baffled and can't seem to do anything about it. It kills me to watch my son hurting like this.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    bunnymom-my son is seeing a gastrointerogist to try to keep his symptoms in check. He had an upper endoscopy around Christmas and we learned he had narrowing, which is pretty scary. Thankfully, the doctor was able to open up the area during the procedure. If not, my son could have gotten food stuck and would have had to have emergency surgery to remove it. It's all a little unnerving for me because my son is a junior in college. I can't be there to watch out for him like I could when he was diagnosed in high school.

liesevanlinge-I wish I had some suggestions for you as far as food alternatives. I teach preschool and have encountered more and more food allergies with my students. I have to wonder if some of it isn't due to the GMO's in our food. I do feel for these kids because it makes life so complicated for them. No one really understands unless you've been through it.
  • bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    best to you all and as stated, it could be worse, it is refreshing to hear from others with empathy. it is tough for our little guys and young adults as well.

Take care:flowerforyou:
  • llockhart35
    llockhart35 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am very sorry to read what you are dealing with. I have a soy and potato allergy and it is really hard to find things to eat. I don't have a gluten problem either, but potato and soy are present in many foods made with flour. Potato starch can be in baking powder and the B vitamins added back into white flour can come from potatoes. White rice has these same vitamins added. Yeast is another item I have to avoid, including beer, but Red Star yeast does not come from potatoes so it is what I used in the past. Also, avoid modified food starch because it can be potato starch. I find it easiest to avoid grains all together unless I bake my own bread with whole wheat flour. I recently started eating Paleo because of my limitations and I find it easy to follow. I eat mostly beef, chicken, fruits and vegetables. Is olive oil on the "no eat" list for your son? I mix up my veggies by eating salads with olive oil, or roasting them for more flavor. I also use my juicer to make sure I get more calories in a healthy form.