Really confused

Options
My bmr is 1617.
My TDEE is 1933.
Mfp has set my calories to 1200.
How many calories am I supposed to eat to lose 1-2 pounds weekly? Should I just stick with the mfp?

Replies

• Sunnyjb
    Sunnyjb Posts: 220
    Options
    No, 1200 isn't enough for you.
  • vikkiitoria
    vikkiitoria Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't anything higher result in less of a weightloss? I thought 1200 was the minimum.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Is your ticker correct? It says you need to lose 50lbs but you don't look like it from the photo. If you do have 50lbs the deduct 20% from your TDEE and eat that.
  • rachel4304
    rachel4304 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't anything higher result in less of a weightloss? I thought 1200 was the minimum.

It's not a race.

You could eat a huge deficit but you also lose a lot of muscle. I recommend you take body measurements, set your MFP to 1 lb a week tops (or do TDEE -20%) and set yourself up for the long haul.

We are actually really similar TDEE/BMR. I eat anywhere between 1350-1550 as well as exercise calories on a given day.
  • kts3639
    kts3639 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't eat below your BMR. If you are going to follow MFP, you need to eat your exercise calories back and NET 1200 calories (this would not be the way I would go though). If you choose to go by your TDEE -%, you do not eat your exercise calories back. Odd thing is, if you take 20% off of your TDEE, you would be below your BMR. Are you sure your calculations were correct?
  • vikkiitoria
    Options
    Maybe I have over estimated the weight I need to lose. I don't really know what I look like any thinner. However I am tall and my weight fluctuates 10 pounds sometimes without me even noticing, so I thought a 50 pound weight loss would be great, but maybe 40 pounds would be more reasonable? should I still go by the 20% from tdee or would it be alright if I followed the 1200 calorie goal and then upped to to my TDEE to maintain?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Heard of minimum building codes. They are for safety, not performance, not longevity, not aesthetics.

You want the bare minimum recommended for sedentary person to get their minimum nutrition in?

Not interested in exercise and performance and getting better from it, not interested in living longer and better, not interested in looking better?

Then follow the minimum.

But you made it 1200 actually, by selecting 2 lb loss weekly when 1 lb is recommended. Are you truly sedentary desk job for 40 hrs weekly?

Also, you are assuming MFP and your setting of sedentary really is how much you could eat to maintain.

Shock yourself and set the loss goal to Maintain, eat that daily, and see what actually happens to weight. Like most others, you'd lose at that amount, showing your maintenance level is actually higher than what you selected.
  • vikkiitoria
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I did the calculations right but I haven't stepped on a scale for a while, mines broken and I dread it. However the last I did I weighed 165 and Im almost certain I haven't lost or gained since. I'm also 5'8 with a sedentary lifestyle but Im working on changing that.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

If you eat at your TDEE you don't eat back your exercise caliries; if you follow MFP 1200 you need to eat your exercise calories back. MFP sets NET 1200 calories
  • skinniewannabe
    skinniewannabe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I did the calculations right but I haven't stepped on a scale for a while, mines broken and I dread it. However the last I did I weighed 165 and Im almost certain I haven't lost or gained since. I'm also 5'8 with a sedentary lifestyle but Im working on changing that.

You weigh 165lbs and you want to loose 50lbs? To each their own, but I think 115lbs on a 5'8" woman is too thin.
  • vikkiitoria
    Options
    My lifestyle has been completely sedentary but this week I have added in a little but of exercise. Like walking, c25k. should I still be choosin sedentary or little exercise while finding out my TDEE?
  • kaylabrose
    Options
    So you sit infront of the TV all day? don't go outside? walk around school/uni? go out with friends? nothing?
  • vikkiitoria
    Options
    I walk around school but to the minimum usually sitting in class. I have a desk job at a rec centre so that takes up most of my weekend times it's been cold here since November so
    I haven't gone outside much, unless I'm in a car but in the summer it's a little bit more, I just kind of assumed its sedentary? I'm hoping on changing that this week.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    In terms of your weight goal: I am 5'6 and started @ 165 (or probably higher before I actually stepped on the scale). Currently my new goal is 125. I am a little shorter than you so I say you should aim to be around lowest 125-130 to be happy and healthy :)

In terms of your calorie goal: I started eating 1200 calories (plus exercise calories) but that just didn't work for the long term and I never seemed "satisfied". Since the new year I have increased my calories a few times and am now at 1710 plus exercise calories to lose 0.5 lb/week (according to MFP). I usually seem to lose more though and am still averaging about 4 lbs lost a month :) You should not eat below your BMR. I know this is confusing sometimes since TDEE -20% can equal lower than your BMR. I think when this is the case you should still aim to eat BMR. Honestly I think maybe you should try to lose slower than the 2lb/wk you are aiming for. Change your goal to maybe 1b/wk or TDEE - 15% or -10% :)

I know this requires more time/patience BUT losing at a slower rate tends to keep that weight off and gives you time to form healthy habits :) You're young and I'm sure you don't want to attempt and "fall off the wagon" right? So realistic goals are your best bet :) It's taken me a few months but dame I feel awesome :P
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    it won't help you determine what your calorie goal is... but for some inspiration you should read this :)
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • vikkiitoria
    Options
    Wow thanks so much guys you've all been really helpful, but one last question.
    My tdee minus 20% is 1547. if I eat this much calories daily, and excercise do I sill eat back the calories I burned?
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Since you stated that your BMR is 1617(?) in your original post, I don't think it would be recommended to eat below that. Maybe try sticking with a number below your TDEE, but above your BMR and eating back enough exercise calories so as not to drop below BMR. :flowerforyou:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks so much guys you've all been really helpful, but one last question.
    My tdee minus 20% is 1547. if I eat this much calories daily, and excercise do I sill eat back the calories I burned?

You picked sedentary level of TDEE, right, no exercise included. That is the ONLY possible way for a 20% off to end up under BMR.

Then you have no expected exercise included, so you would eat it all back.

And outside exercise, Sedentary on that TDEE level means 40 hr desk job, no walking at lunch or breaks or much to car, several hr commute sitting, bump on log rest of the day.

At this point, you might as well just use MFP the way it was designed. You'll get no benefit from this method.

Select 1 lb weekly goal, and log and eat back your exercise calories. When you get to 10lb to go, select 1/2 lb weekly goal.
    At least with this method you get better Sedentary level multiplier that is tad more realistic.
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options

Heard of minimum building codes. They are for safety, not performance, not longevity, not aesthetics.

You want the bare minimum recommended for sedentary person to get their minimum nutrition in?

Not interested in exercise and performance and getting better from it, not interested in living longer and better, not interested in looking better?

Then follow the minimum.

But you made it 1200 actually, by selecting 2 lb loss weekly when 1 lb is recommended. Are you truly sedentary desk job for 40 hrs weekly?

Also, you are assuming MFP and your setting of sedentary really is how much you could eat to maintain.

Shock yourself and set the loss goal to Maintain, eat that daily, and see what actually happens to weight. Like most others, you'd lose at that amount, showing your maintenance level is actually higher than what you selected.

THIS.

Also read this. It will help you set MFP up for YOUR success.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937709-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    My bmr is 1617.
    My TDEE is 1933.
    Mfp has set my calories to 1200.
    How many calories am I supposed to eat to lose 1-2 pounds weekly? Should I just stick with the mfp?

the reason MFP gives you 1200 is because it expects you to eat your exercise calories back which would mean you're actually eating above 1200. it would be like eating 1200 + 300 (you gained from exercising) so you really ate 1500 but netted 1200. make sense?

the TDEE is already acting as if you've eaten those calories back so that number would be your BMR + the amount of calories you burn exercising/moving around. I would personally go with this number, subtract about 20% and eat that without eating back exercise calories burned that you log into mfp.