Couch to 5K - Need advice!

Options
I use to run often. In fact, about four years ago I was running three miles a day (12 minute miles). However, the last time I ran was literally a year (or a little more) ago, and at that time, I was lucky to finish two miles at that pace. A year and one healthy baby later, I am 270 pounds, and I want to get in shape to run a 5K (specifically it is the Color Vibe 5K) in September. However, I have no clue where to start. I know there are some good Couch to 5K programs out there, but I'd like to know if anyone has tried any and how it worked.

Also, I am looking at running a couple other races between now and September to warm-up. Here are some points to consider if you have any advice:
- I am not running to win the race, but I am running to win with a healthy life.
- Most of my running will have to be done outside (probably on a track), because I am a single mom with no one to watch the baby on the regular.
- I want to challenge myself, but I also don't want to burn out by pushing too hard too fast. My problem is I am an overachiever, so I'm afraid this will be the result.
- I'd love to have someone in a similar position take on this challenge with me as support!

Replies

• trishaseren
    trishaseren Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I found the couch to 5k program awesome, before I got it I never, ever ran, but decided to challenge myself. I found it a really good way of easing into running and when I did do my 5km run it felt really easy. Good luck!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I did couch to 5K last summer as well as 2 5Ks and it worked great! It didn't move too fast for me to keep up...sure it was hard, but I had never been a runner in my life. You can also easily repeat days/weeks as needed, but if you feel good, I recommend pushing yourself. I'd stick with the every other day it is intended for until you know how your body is going to behave though. I got sick last fall and thought I could restart later in the program or do it every day, but it was very difficult. Getting my lungs healthy again is a lot harder though.
  • shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I tried c25k last year, got up to week 7 before I got the flu... I've never been able to run more than about 50m before, couldn't believe I was actually running! Highly recommend :)
  • karinapeterson
    karinapeterson Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Definately a great place to start!! I used it to about week 8 then I kept pushing myself more and more without it, just used my favourite music and got advicefrom great friends here. I now run an average of 6-8km and today did almost 12. Am aiming for a 13k event in mid May. I am currently about 200pnds and when I started I would have been 240. You can do it, just listen to your body and your mind :) the mind is half the battle hehe