Anyone Cycle?

Options
I am looking for friends who love to bike. This is my exercise. I ride about 20 miles a day 5 days a week, and then do a 30 to 40 mile on Saturday, Rest on Sunday and start over again. I am 34 Male. 6'0" and 260 lbs (cycling has brought me down from nearly 300lbs). I have a ways to go to be competative but I am loving my rides so far.

For motivation I signed up for a 51 mile race on May 18th.

I would love to find those who share a love of this 2 wheeled adiction. I would love to share what I have learned as a "Heavy Cyclist" and would love to learn from others.

Replies

• Shushu68
    Shushu68 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am looking for friends who love to bike. This is my exercise. I ride about 20 miles a day 5 days a week, and then do a 30 to 40 mile on Saturday, Rest on Sunday and start over again. I am 34 Male. 6'0" and 260 lbs (cycling has brought me down from nearly 300lbs). I have a ways to go to be competative but I am loving my rides so far.

For motivation I signed up for a 51 mile race on May 18th.

I would love to find those who share a love of this 2 wheeled adiction. I would love to share what I have learned as a "Heavy Cyclist" and would love to learn from others.

Very good, i love spinning too because it burns a lot of calorie. I ride my spinning bike 1 hour everyday.
    How long have you been doing that?
  • jhwellness
    jhwellness Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I love biking but having some minor health issues, but I bike aobut 12 to 15 miles at a time. I look to increase the distance this biking season. Feel free to add me.
  • d2bodily
    d2bodily Posts: 10
    Options
    I have been riding for 2 years, but only a few months seriously.
  • cindismilez
    cindismilez Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i love biking too but mmmmmm i am an old lady and just getting back into it...... i also have some health issues like another posted... so i only got up to 2.5 miles ... i agree tho .. it is a great way to lose wt and it is fun toooooo!
  • deanyurasek
    Options
    I cycle at the gym at the momment and wanted to let you know about a great exercise bike alternative called The Expresso Bike. The Expresso bike is a virtual bike ride.
  • d2bodily
    Options
    i love biking too but mmmmmm i am an old lady and just getting back into it...... i also have some health issues like another posted... so i only got up to 2.5 miles ... i agree tho .. it is a great way to lose wt and it is fun toooooo!

The number one thing that has helped me (too bad I only realized it a few weeks ago) is cadence. When it comes to biking the speed you turn over is everything. Professionals run over 100 Rotations per Min. I went and got a computer that has cadence in it and was shocked to find that I was pedaling at about 65 RPM. Since then I have been watching my cadence rather then my speed, I have increased that to now 85-90. I set the goal each week to increase it by 5. As I have done so I have found that I am now able to go farther faster. I shift a ton more now as my goal is constant leg rotation.

There are a whole lot of health benefits to this approach to cycling. Decrease in latic acid build up for one, and the ability to build lean muscle quicker.

Not sure if it is something that can help you but it has helped me.
  • d2bodily
    Options
    I cycle at the gym at the momment and wanted to let you know about a great exercise bike alternative called The Expresso Bike. The Expresso bike is a virtual bike ride.

I have not done that specific bike but I have rode on several virtual bikes, and they do rock.... It is a great way to help you feel like you have accomplished something while at the gym.
  • drgummibear
    drgummibear Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Those Expresso bikes sound fun but there isnt one near me to try. I am in southern Ontario Canada where the cycling season is just getting off to a start finally. But i have been riding in the winter on a bike trainer to keep up with my riding. I usually ride about an hour each day logging in about 19 miles dailly or 32kms. But things have been broken up lately. I am pleased that I have been able to jump on the bike on the first outdoor ride of the season just a few days ago and be able to rip off a 30km ride with little problems. I had tried to simulate hills while riding on my trainer by standing up on the pedals in the top gear. I have both a mountain converted to commuter bike and a nice softride road bike with aero bars and bar end shifters. It is fun to ride but I havent taken it off the trainer yet. Still waiting for the sand and salt to be washed away by the late April showers. Cycling is awesome and I love touring with my camera to take shots if the situation arrises, otherwise I am in it for the exercise. We sound like similar riders but I am 52 and will take a little bit to get as regular as you are. I work shift work which also throws a monkey wrench into the best laid cycling plans. PM me if you want to chat further. And it would be great to be in touch with you. I am currently in a "virtual" ride from my house to Disney World adding any kind of mileage that I can do by exercising. So along with the cycling I walk my dog, swim, use the elliptical trainer at work and hike. As long as I can measure distance with the exercise I can add it to my total which is currently at 537 miles and counting since March 1st. I estimate that I will reach Disney World by the fourth of July in time for my "virtual fireworks" as I arrive (in my mind). Many other people are doing the same and we contact each other from time to time to see where we are along our virtual routes. I am currently in mid-Virginia and heading south. Ontario, New York, Pennsylvania and Maryland are all but distant memories as I continue my trek southward. I am on a first name basis with the many contacts that I have and we find it to be a little more personal and interesting to chat with each other via Personal Messages as opposed to just the quick little comments that people make on the daily newsreel. CHeers for now and keep riding buddy. It sounds like you are doing well. All the best from Dr Gummibear aka Jim :bigsmile:
  • d2bodily
    Options
    Those Expresso bikes sound fun but there isnt one near me to try. I am in southern Ontario Canada where the cycling season is just getting off to a start finally. But i have been riding in the winter on a bike trainer to keep up with my riding. I usually ride about an hour each day logging in about 19 miles dailly or 32kms. But things have been broken up lately. I am pleased that I have been able to jump on the bike on the first outdoor ride of the season just a few days ago and be able to rip off a 30km ride with little problems. I had tried to simulate hills while riding on my trainer by standing up on the pedals in the top gear. I have both a mountain converted to commuter bike and a nice softride road bike with aero bars and bar end shifters. It is fun to ride but I havent taken it off the trainer yet. Still waiting for the sand and salt to be washed away by the late April showers. Cycling is awesome and I love touring with my camera to take shots if the situation arrises, otherwise I am in it for the exercise. We sound like similar riders but I am 52 and will take a little bit to get as regular as you are. I work shift work which also throws a monkey wrench into the best laid cycling plans. PM me if you want to chat further. And it would be great to be in touch with you. I am currently in a "virtual" ride from my house to Disney World adding any kind of mileage that I can do by exercising. So along with the cycling I walk my dog, swim, use the elliptical trainer at work and hike. As long as I can measure distance with the exercise I can add it to my total which is currently at 537 miles and counting since March 1st. I estimate that I will reach Disney World by the fourth of July in time for my "virtual fireworks" as I arrive (in my mind). Many other people are doing the same and we contact each other from time to time to see where we are along our virtual routes. I am currently in mid-Virginia and heading south. Ontario, New York, Pennsylvania and Maryland are all but distant memories as I continue my trek southward. I am on a first name basis with the many contacts that I have and we find it to be a little more personal and interesting to chat with each other via Personal Messages as opposed to just the quick little comments that people make on the daily newsreel. CHeers for now and keep riding buddy. It sounds like you are doing well. All the best from Dr Gummibear aka Jim :bigsmile:

I love the virtual ride idea. I need to find a goal desitination and start doing the same. I am a little closer to Disney Land then you so maybe DisneyWorld for me. I live in Utah and likewise we are just really getting into the riding season. However, I have been hitting the road on anything above 35 degrees F. Lookforward to hearing about your virtual ride.
  • linnellal
    linnellal Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I also am an "old woman" who is just getting back into cycling. I just bought myself my first new bike since 1977 (I've been riding the 1977 bike faithfully all these years) and since I live in the northern part of the country, have just now been able to take out the new bike. Slow and steady wins the race. I am building up my stamina and my leg muscles. I'm going to have my saddle adjusted up by about a quarter of an inch so I can get a better stroke. I'm planning on this bike to not only take me on 10 - 15 mile rides, but to take me around town, doing errands and the like. All around transportation.
  • d2bodily
    Options
    @linnellal -- That is awesome. I have been having my father drop me off (he lives down the street and drives past my work in the mornings) at work each day. I then have no choice but to ride home (20.2 to 20.7 miles, varies with exact route). On top of the health benefits. If we have good weather each day I save $240 in gas each month. Plus it is good for our enviroment, assuming the site of a big boy on a bike does not do harm.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    There are groups on MFP that are dedicated to cycling if that helps :)
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I wish my brother in law was on here. He is a cycling instructor and is IN LOVE WITH IT!!! haha.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I carb cycle... biking hurts my butt too much.
  • azzkikin
    azzkikin Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Late to the show of course. Anywho, I cycle and always looking for cycling buddies on here. Add me if you wish. I have done a few 50miler+ rides and looking to make my century goal this year.
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I love to cycle... my favorite is road biking but I also do XC and DH (albeit after a big flip last year I think that I may lay off the DH).

Add me if you would like!